Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2022

Started by Dash Decent, 20 July, 2021, 01:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 July, 2022, 07:47:41 PM
Quote from: Richard on 28 July, 2022, 07:44:33 PM
Barney lists [Big Dave] as creator-owned.

Could well be, then! TBH, I can't be arsed to try and find the Summer Offensive progs and see what the copyright blurb says...

It happened after publication -

Quote from: davidbishop on 03 October, 2020, 07:52:10 AM
...Millar sent the comic a lawyer's letter complaining about Canon Fodder being handed to a new writer, claiming the character was entirely his own creation. He seemed to have forgotten that Chris Weston co-created the series! Not to mention the irony of Millar complaining about being usurped on a strip, having happily other writers' 2000AD series.

IIRC, an agreement was reached confirming all rights in Big Dave belonged to the creators of that series, while the rights to all other Millar scripted series were assigned to 2000AD...
@jamesfeistdraws

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 28 July, 2022, 09:34:32 PM

Oh — thanks for that! So, I was sort of right, in as much as Big Dave wasn't commissioned as a creator-owned series. (In much the same way BARNEY lists Hilary Robinson's series as being creator-owned... they certainly weren't commissioned on that basis, but Fleetway gave her the rights back to make a potential legal headache go away.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

O Lucky Stevie!

Giving the creators the rights to Big Dave to Morrison, Parkhouse & Millar also released Fleetway from any obligation to publish the completed strip Sharon's Big Night Out that was deemed too offensive for the Sci Fi Special.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

davidbishop

is that the one where Big Dave bumps into Salman Rushdie and attempts to claim a bounty on the author's life at the nearest corner shop? IIRC, it also features many 'hilarious' [and probably legally actionable] 'jokes' about E17 being homosexual, etc.

Lovely Steve Parkhouse art. But otherwise...

Richard

Yes, the art was the only good thing about Bigotry Dave.

nxylas

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 July, 2022, 11:40:13 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 28 July, 2022, 09:34:32 PM

Oh — thanks for that! So, I was sort of right, in as much as Big Dave wasn't commissioned as a creator-owned series. (In much the same way BARNEY lists Hilary Robinson's series as being creator-owned... they certainly weren't commissioned on that basis, but Fleetway gave her the rights back to make a potential legal headache go away.)
I actually got the information from BARNEY. I had remembered it as being creator-owned from the outset, but evidently I was mistaken.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

The Monarch

sooo if 2000ad own all of millers other stories....when can we see a new canon fodder :P

and if you are saying the ships sailed on this may i remind you that ulysees sweet somehow got a new series a few years ago

sheridan

Quote from: nxylas on 28 July, 2022, 03:09:49 PM
Quote from: robprosser on 28 July, 2022, 12:24:52 PM
Giving him full ownership of all his 2000ad characters along with a grovelling apology, a million pound bonus and a statement etched on a solid gold plate stating the Pat was right about everything all along wouldn't make him happy
Probably true, but if he wasn't so angry all the time, could he have created something as great as Nemesis the Warlock or Marshal Law or Charley's War? That's a rhetorical question, I honestly don't know the answer.

"Anger is an energy"*

* to quote another creator who appears to have gone off the rails in later life

broodblik

Hardback version of the Finn Origins collection cover art by Charlie Gillespie:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Blue Cactus

Nice cover! Good to see Gillespie doing some prog stuff, it's been a while from what I recall.

broodblik

Coming to the prog in November:

Incredible SF action from the Eisner-nominated UK anthology! Prog 2306 is the fourth and final all-ages special issue of 2022, and sees Cadets Dredd and Rico investigating lawbreaking at the Black Atlantic docks in "Undertow," plus the young G.I.s the Mayflies return, and there's much more! Meanwhile, in Progs 2307-2310, Sov psychic operatives attack Mega-City One  in "Buratino Must Die"; young survivor Zoe must journey across a dangerous planet in "Enemy Earth"; the Joy drug spirals out of control in Hershey: "The Cold in the Bones"; a magical A-bomb is about to go off in Hope: "In the Shadows" Reel Two; and the killer twins have their sights set on Noam in Chimpsky's Law: "A Terrifically Disturbing Adventure"!

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Coming to the meg in November:

More action and adventure in the future-shocked world of Judge Dredd! The lawman deals with troublemakers in the Cursed Earth in the final part of "Babel"; Judge Death is given a new lease of life courtesy of a heavy metal band in "Death Metal Planet"; Zane Perks starts his dangerous mission in Surfer Book Two; Devlin Waugh continues to mine his past in "Karma Police"; and Psi-Judge Lillian Storm crosses the underworld in "Dead and Gone"; and in the bagged supplement this month we showcase the art of Thor: Love and Thunder storyboard artist Mark Sexton, collecting two Judge Dredd stories by him and Mike Carroll!

Colin YNWA

Nice to see Book 2 of Surfer so soon. And more Chimpsky is always a boon.

Richard

That's a great cover for prog 2306!

MumboJimbo

Glad to see Storm Warning coming back. It has the cosy feel of a Sunday night detective TV show, but with a dash of Victorian macabre. Great art too.