Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackmocco

Quote from: chuffsteruk on 11 September, 2012, 11:29:17 PM
A quick glance of #Dredd3D on Twitter brings a smile to the face.Universal acclaim from all who've seen it and lots of excited anticipation from those who haven't.

Really think Dredd could open BIG in the US now!

Here's hoping. Getting nervous. The Stallone movie casts a looooooooooong shadow, it would seem, when I talk** to people over here about it.

(**Annoy people by incessantly talking about Dredd.)
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

JOE SOAP

It's all up to you Mick...

PsychoGoatee

Does it really? Most people I talk to think of Judge Dredd like any other cheesy but somewhat fondly remembered 90s action movie, like Demolition Man or something. Plus, that said, we got these blockbuster Batman movies after the cheesy Batman Forever and Batman & Robin, it's been long enough I'd say.

As for how well the movie will do over here, if I had to guess I'll say well, but probably not a huge blockbuster. I could see it reaching an audience similar to, say, Sin City which made 74 million in the US.

On the other hand, say, there's Scott Pilgrim which only made $31 mil. Still can't believe that, everybody loves it. It really is tough to predict these things.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 11 September, 2012, 11:51:28 PM
Does it really? Most people I talk to think of Judge Dredd like any other cheesy but somewhat fondly remembered 90s action movie, like Demolition Man or something.

Would that push them to see what they might consider a 'remake'?

blackmocco

Does it really? Most people I talk to think of Judge Dredd like any other cheesy but somewhat fondly remembered 90s action movie, like Demolition Man or something. Plus, that said, we got these blockbuster Batman movies after the cheesy Batman Forever and Batman & Robin, it's been long enough I'd say.

As for how well the movie will do over here, if I had to guess I'll say well, but probably not a huge blockbuster. I could see it reaching an audience similar to, say, Sin City which made 74 million in the US.

On the other hand, say, there's Scott Pilgrim which only made $31 mil. Still can't believe that, everybody loves it. It really is tough to predict these things.

The sad part is most people think this is a remake of Demolition Man. Haha! Everyone gets them mixed up. "Does this one have the three shells joke?" I gave up trying to explain Dredd's history and legacy and just tell them I've seen the movie, it's fucking great, it deserves some love and they should go see it.

Sin City went and made some money but somehow the books made a dent into the mainstream long before it was filmed so it had a hook when it came to box office. Scott Pilgrim was always going to be a tougher sell because it's pretty clearly not very serious and people just thought it looked silly. Myself included. Haven't seen it. Probably should but something about that little fuckstick who plays the same thing every movie he's in just rendered it toxic to me. I should get over that, I guess.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

blackmocco

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 11 September, 2012, 11:51:01 PM
It's all up to you Mick...

Doing what I can Joe. Doing what I can. Feel like I'm bringing the law to the lawless though...

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

radiator

I'm not at all surprised Scott Pilgrim flopped. It was a teen movie that only appealed to 30-something male nerds. Hardly a recipe for success.

JOE SOAP

I can see why Scott Pilgrim failed, it's entertaining but rather aimless and spent too much time, and money, being so.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 September, 2012, 12:00:11 AMWould that push them to see what they might consider a 'remake'?

That's a tricky one, with say The Expendables being so popular with 90s guys like Van Damme, it does seem like there's a potential market for any and all action movies. People not familiar seeing this is the same character as the in a random Stallone movie, I don't think that'd do to much to hurt it. If anything, recognition at least puts it above a random sci-fi flick like say Lockout, in market stuff. All said, it really is tough to predict if a movie will do well.

Quote from: blackmocco on 12 September, 2012, 12:09:38 AMThe sad part is most people think this is a remake of Demolition Man. Haha! Everyone gets them mixed up. "Does this one have the three shells joke?" I gave up trying to explain Dredd's history and legacy and just tell them I've seen the movie, it's fucking great, it deserves some love and they should go see it.
---
Scott Pilgrim was always going to be a tougher sell because it's pretty clearly not very serious and people just thought it looked silly. Myself included. Haven't seen it. Probably should but something about that little fuckstick who plays the same thing every movie he's in just rendered it toxic to me. I should get over that, I guess.
It's funny because it's true, Demolition Man and 90s Dredd will always be confused.  :D And I really recommend Scott Pilgrim. I'm not a huge fan of Michael Cera or "teen stuff", but I mean... need I mention it's by the guy who made Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz?

Anyways, I'll be getting my friends at least to see Dredd next Friday, so I'm doing what I can for the box office.  :D

A.Cow

Quote from: Steve Green on 11 September, 2012, 09:06:26 PM
... I'm not going to elaborate as the spoiler tags don't work on mobile devices ...

Spoiler tags work fine on my Android.  Perhaps you have one of those dodgy fruit-based mobile devices?   ;)

HdE

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 September, 2012, 12:00:11 AM
Does it really? Most people I talk to think of Judge Dredd like any other cheesy but somewhat fondly remembered 90s action movie, like Demolition Man or something.

Would that push them to see what they might consider a 'remake'?

This is what concerns me, somewhat.

I've fielded some pretty odd questions about the movie from friends. Top of the list is 'will I like it?' (How the f*ck would * I * know?) but edging close behind that are 'Does it carry on from the last one?' and 'How does it work without Stallone?'

These questions beggar belief. Stallone is not, never was, and never conceivably COULD BE Dredd. So if folks insist on referencing that diabolical movie when they talk to me about this FANTASTIC new one, what conclusions are we to draw about their perception of Judge Dredd?

I've even heard self-professed comics fans slating this movie because its 'not in keeping with the original 95 movie, and not true to the spirit of Judge Dredd.'

Whaaaaaaaaat?!  :o
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Apestrife

It took a couple of phone calls and emails but now it's official: DREDD will be shown in my town 14 of October! A bit late to the party, but still MEGA!  :lol:

Michaelvk

..a blackberry? Don't bash Apple. The Lawgiver was designed on one.
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Steve Green

It's tapatalk rather than the device itself...

Dandontdare

Quote from: blackmocco on 12 September, 2012, 12:09:38 AM
The sad part is most people think this is a remake of Demolition Man. Haha! Everyone gets them mixed up.

yeah, one review I read had the obligatory paragraph mocking the previous movie, particularly mentioning the codpiece and... Wesley Snipe's hair. *sigh*