Main Menu

Fantasy sequel Thread.

Started by darnmarr, 27 June, 2012, 05:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Excuse my shitty grammar and missing information, by the way. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Apestrife

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 September, 2012, 10:22:03 AM
(It's kind of hard, though, to see how a supernatural element could be introduced to this realistic version of MC1.  Even the tech isn't all that hi, so too much wacky sci-fi like dimension jumps don't seem apt either.  Any suggestions?  A huge cloning mistake maybe?)

What do you think about by my outline about Death being hallicunated? That a psi judge would project him and the other dark judges into peoples heads.

So when they see the psi judge, they see Death (who himself projects Death the way he portrays Dredd in his own head.).

Death would be like someones inner image of Dredd turned into a giant hypnotic nightmare. A bit like Batman begins when people are zonked on the gas and see scarecrow.

I'd love Dredd to face that, in two ways. One as an enemy, and one way getting to face how he is percieved.

Apestrife

That way Death wouldn't open a door to other dimensions, but instead invest into people being psychics. How the psi judge manages to make the hallicunations mass spread could be done by getting some slo mo in his system or something, and give him a bad trip during his upped brain powarz.

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteDeath would be like someones inner image of Dredd turned into a giant hypnotic nightmare. A bit like Batman begins when people are zonked on the gas and see scarecrow.

I'd love Dredd to face that, in two ways. One as an enemy, and one way getting to face how he is percieved.

Hmmm, maybe.  Could work - but where does the danger come from?  I mean, the audience knows the whole time that Death is only a psi-projected mirage and doesn't actually exist, so how do you avoid the dreaded 'it was just a dream' conclusion?  Or maybe I've misunderstood your idea?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Danbo

If you're going to do Death then just do him,no changing him or the other DJ's.Have faith in it ,don't changed  it so much that he is barely recognizable.
There are plenty of other stories that are more grounded in the strips that could be done and would be easier to keep the new tone.Having rouge Judges with masks on or whatever just takes away what Death is.
If you're going crazy supernatural badass from another dimension just do it otherwise do Total War/America.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Apestrife

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 September, 2012, 12:03:14 PM

QuoteDeath would be like someones inner image of Dredd turned into a giant hypnotic nightmare. A bit like Batman begins when people are zonked on the gas and see scarecrow.

Hmmm, maybe.  Could work - but where does the danger come from?  I mean, the audience knows the whole time that Death is only a psi-projected mirage and doesn't actually exist, so how do you avoid the dreaded 'it was just a dream' conclusion?  Or maybe I've misunderstood your idea?

I was thinking a bit like having people going mental in a part of MC1, lead by these projections. For example people setting fire to everything can see Judge Fire leeding them, and see him in things burning.

And think of Mortis being seen, standing over dead people as if he was watching them. But again not for real, but real enough for the citizens to go crazy.

The chaos itself will be very real, set in motion by all these people hallicunating characters looking like dark jugdes. And behind the judge death is the psi judge, how he'd imagine he'd want to be Dredd since the real Dredd is not "good enough" any longer (as in bad ass).

But seriously. I'd have not problem at all with Death from another dimension like in the comics. Far from. It would probaply be movie of the year  ;) It's just that I don't know the origins of Death, and thought this could be one way of doing it by having Dredd vs someone who wants to kill his idol (But ending with Jesse James putting his fist through Robert Fords head)

Noisybast

This may come across as unnecessarily harsh, but there's a lot of seriously piss poor fanwankery going on in this thread.

If the Dark Judges don't translate well to film, just don't film them! Why change them to be so far removed from the original concept, when you could channel the effort into developing the stuff that does work?

For me, I'd stick with something less fantastical for part two and go with something slightly more in keeping with the world established thus far, while expanding what we know about the Big Meg. Get Dredd out onto the streets, putting the fear of Grud into the cits. Maybe introduce PSU, build on the surveillance stuff we've already seen. We've seen the scummier end of the city - show us the lux-apts, show us the 1%, show us the Democrats blowing them to hell for the cause. Give us hottie stands and belly wheels, servo-droids and sexmeks, dunks, taps and organleggers. Skysurfers, bat-gliders and futsies amok.

As for the story? Dunno. If I did, I'd be a handsomely paid screenwriter, not a charming and well-endowed IT grunt. Probably something involving a high-speed bike chase and some shooting. Maybe a monkey. People like monkeys.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Apestrife

So a bit like Johnny Alpha when he made one of his enemies belive he saw the grim reaper ;)

And sorry for misspelling a couple of words and so on. Wrote the stuff in a rush while being tired = my english takes a serious hit in it's spelling and grammar.

darnmarr

Quote from: Noisybast on 13 September, 2012, 02:52:48 PM
... Probably something involving a high-speed bike chase and some shooting. Maybe a monkey. People like monkeys.
Frink: "That monkeys gonna pay!"

Dark Judges in sequel pros/cons debated pretty exhaustively way back here if anyone fancies a gander:
Dark Judges in sequel? Nice pics and a heated debate ...

Apestrife

Quote from: Noisybast on 13 September, 2012, 02:52:48 PM
This may come across as unnecessarily harsh, but there's a lot of seriously piss poor fanwankery going on in this thread.

If the Dark Judges don't translate well to film, just don't film them! Why change them to be so far removed from the original concept, when you could channel the effort into developing the stuff that does work?

For me, I'd stick with something less fantastical for part two and go with something slightly more in keeping with the world established thus far, while expanding what we know about the Big Meg. Get Dredd out onto the streets, putting the fear of Grud into the cits. Maybe introduce PSU, build on the surveillance stuff we've already seen. We've seen the scummier end of the city - show us the lux-apts, show us the 1%, show us the Democrats blowing them to hell for the cause. Give us hottie stands and belly wheels, servo-droids and sexmeks, dunks, taps and organleggers. Skysurfers, bat-gliders and futsies amok.

As for the story? Dunno. If I did, I'd be a handsomely paid screenwriter, not a charming and well-endowed IT grunt. Probably something involving a high-speed bike chase and some shooting. Maybe a monkey. People like monkeys.

No, I'm with you. I'd like it if the two others wouldn't go to big. A trip to the cursed earth followed by some doubt in the system. That there won't be too much spectacle to  take away the focus from Dredd. I think Nolan's Batman often had that very problem, making it sometimes hard to forget to invest in him as a character since his enemies steals the show.
And Anderson seems like she needs quite some room too. So that she doesn't feel rushed or shoehorned into the story.

And monkeys would totally make both sequels a mint :D

MR. ELIMINATOR

Yeah but Judge Death in particular is pretty iconic, I don't see what's wrong with making them fit into this version of Dredd with a bit of tinkering. Like i've said before, I think it is his image not his origins that are important.

The Judge Dredd comics have matured a lot since the Dark Judge stories and I don't think now, with the current more realistic approach to comic book movies proving so popular, beings from from another dimension would go down well. It just seems a bit silly, where as they could be done really scary instead which would be awesome.

Danbo

D2.Chopper sends Dredd with his team out into the CE looking for 'origins',bumps into the Angle gang who have Fargo or Booths remains,big scrap and Dredd wins...
D3.Fink comes looking for revenge.
Swap Hershey for Anderson and make sure Chop has a powerboard.

Or go all out on a faithful Dark Judges adap.

Either way I can't ruddy wait.

Danbo

MR. ELIMINATOR

I mean, their origins don't even have to be explained and then people can make up their own theories where they come from. People who like the comic book origin can stick with that, people who don't can believe they are just some psycho mutants.

If some crazy bastards starts killing people in Mega City One, Dredd won't be asking them why they are here, he will just be trying to kill them.

It worked quite well with the Joker in The Dark Knight. It never explained where he came from or anything like that, he just appeared.

To not use them in a film would be a major waste and I think too many people want to see them compared to those who don't.

Apestrife

Quote from: darnmarr on 13 September, 2012, 03:00:59 PM
Dark Judges in sequel pros/cons debated pretty exhaustively way back here if anyone fancies a gander:
Dark Judges in sequel? Nice pics and a heated debate ...

You made a good point early on about the bird bones and stuff. It works in a comic, but does it in a movie?

But either way. I'm sure Garland will know what he's doing, since people around him (him included) seem to know their Dredd enough to not wanting it to go to waste. And hopefully Karl Urbans talk about "the big lie" and Garlands constant mentioning of America will lead to some very exciting stuff.