Main Menu

The controversial VW TV ad

Started by Adrian Bamforth, 05 February, 2005, 07:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrian Bamforth

Is here, if you haven't heard about it prepare drop your sandwich.

ADE

Link: http://members.cox.net/frsandrat/SandRat/Terrorist%20VW.wmv" target="_blank">VW ad

Carlsborg Expert.

Richmond Clements

That's the first I'd seen/heard of this.
Bloody hell, who thought this was a good idea!?

Max Kon

LARF

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

NecroClown

LARF

Byron Virgo

I don't think that any subject can be said to be humour-free: you can make a joke about any subject in the correct context, but the treatment of the subject will dictate whtether or not the joke is actually funny.

In this case it's not - perhaps the worst crime is that it isn't funny, whereas, say, Michael Moore as a suicide bomber in Team America is.

thrillpowerseeker

its funny because the terrorist is a tosser who only kills himself..and serves the bastard right too..good on yer vw.......

if only it was true!

opaque

What you could say is funny is the whole furour about it.
It was at first said that it was done by an agency to show off the quality of the world and Volkswagon were supposedly disgusted by it blah blah. But then people noticed that that agency had done several other mem-type things like this before on behalf of businesses and also the production values on the advert were SO high it couldn't have been done without a huge budget.

LARF

Yeh the black humour is there but the context in which it's used is wrong.

It's an advert to sell cars not a comedy show or a satirical film so therefore I don't find it funny, and I would be quite happy to keep away from buying a VW for the rest of my life.

It's stepping over the boundry's of taste because it uses a highly topical subject and in reality the VW would be blown sky high along with all the people in the cafe.

It reminds me of Watchmen when all the advertising is based around existing cultural climates and at the end of the book the ad's have changed to reflect the new climate.

Sorry but it's just wrong to parody something like this in order to sell a brand.

Art

Ha. Well I thought it was funny as heck. Are you absolutely sure it's a real ad? The address isn't VWs...

NecroClown

You do realise that 'officially' VW are furious about this spoof ad, right?

Unofficially - the ad cost around ?30,000 to make and was done by a professional crew.

Personally, I find it funny 'just because'. I'm not going to think to hard about why because at the end of the day it's simply a 30 sec clip with a joke at the end.