Main Menu

PC help again: Okay, I give in, why does it happen?

Started by Adrian Bamforth, 05 January, 2006, 03:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoD

I'm trying a geek forum...I'll let you know what they say...

WoD

And the geeks have answered...

'It could be a defective modem.

It could be your exceeding the maximum permissible number of phones that can be attached to one line, which is 4.

All phonelines have what is called a R.E.N (Ring Equivilence Number) which is what i said above is 4, go above that and odd things start happening, you need to check the REN of each article attached to the phone line if the REN exceeds 4 you need to contact your phone co.'

Hope it helps.

Adrian Bamforth

"It could be a defective modem."

Nah, cos I've already replaced it, the guys at the shop tested the old one and it works fine for them.

"It could be your exceeding the maximum permissible number of phones that can be attached to one line, which is 4."

Nope, just the 2 phones plugged in at the moment.

"All phonelines have what is called a R.E.N (Ring Equivilence Number) which is what i said above is 4, go above that and odd things start happening, you need to check the REN of each article attached to the phone line if the REN exceeds 4 you need to contact your phone co."

I'm getting so pissed off with it now I will actually take the whole things downstairs and try it in the main socket on it's own, though I still find it odd that it started when I reinstalled. Thanks for asking though, much appreciated.

ADE

Trout

You're breaking your computer due to your ineptitude when using apostrophes. ;-)

- Trout

Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1861976127/026-9854458-4250869" target="_blank">The solution to all things