Main Menu

New Stone Roses single, anyone?

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 14 May, 2016, 12:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

I heard the Seahorses comparison before I heard the single; so it may have coloured my judgement a bit.  But All for One isn't bad; beautiful intro and catchy riff.  But it's ultimately a fairly standard jangly indie song; whereas things like Waterfall and I am the Resurrection were sublime and awe-inspiring, like nothing I'd heard before or have heard since. 

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Not heard this BUT I have very fond memories of the first time the released a single after a long break.

When Love Spreads was first played on Radio 1 a bunch of friends and I were 'camping' out at Sheffield University concourse near the front of a massive 'Pyjama Jump' queue (its a little too long winded to go i to detail but basically about 1/2 the university sleep over night on the concourse to get tickets to the crazy event - best not to ask). Anyway I took my 'ghettoblaster down knowing it was going to be played. We recorded it (play, record pause.... pause ... GO!) and spent the evening getting mixed reactions as we wondered the queue playing it to people.

I was of course very, very drunk...

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 May, 2016, 12:05:09 AM
I heard the Seahorses comparison

Shirehorses. Hey-diddle-dee guitar, then a vocal with too much reverb rhymes 'all' with 'wall':

https://youtu.be/R0XZ9qjMil8

I'll join Colin in old man reminiscence by saying that the Stone Roses phenomenon passed me by. My 1989 was The Horned God, Buffalo Stance, Blackadder Goes Fourth, and the new experience of following the preproduction of a film (based on comics I read) with mounting excitement, then being disappointed by the film.

Didn't read NME, missed them having a power cut on Later. Months later, when their stuff started getting reissued, it annoyed me that they only ever seemed to have recorded one video, which they recut and overlaid with increasing layers of psychedelic eighties graphics everytime they put out a song *.

Despite quarter of a century of being assured they changed my life and that if I wasn't off my face at Spike Island I basically betrayed my generation, I like Fools Gold but the rest seems like jingly toss. They basically ruined the final series of This Is England, so fuck them and their ugly trousers.

* I know this was because of their record company problems, but the Chart Show sometimes played what looked like the same video two or three times per show

I, Cosh

Not for me Clive.

Quite liked the first album but no more than Ned's Atomic Dustbin and, as with the Mondays contemporaneous releases, resent relentlessly being told how life changingly important it was. I do have fond memories of the hoops fans would jump through to try and pretend Love Spreads was any good though (sorry Colin, it was total, lumpen rock gash.)
We never really die.

WhizzBang

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 May, 2016, 12:05:09 AM
IBut it's ultimately a fairly standard jangly indie song; whereas things like Waterfall and I am the Resurrection were sublime and awe-inspiring, like nothing I'd heard before or have heard since.

I have never understood the appeal of this band and 'fairly standard jangly Indie band' just about summed them up in 89 for me. Fools Gold was the only thing by them I ever heard which was a bit beyond this description.

Spikes

It's.... well.... nowt special is it. Which is kinda a shame, but not unexpected.
Their first album is a - rightly hailed - classic, and I did buy it, and various singles from it, at the time.

But a lot of bands now disappear for lengthy periods (The Stones Roses are the undisputed masters in this field) and then release new stuff - and good music seldom springs from that.

8-Ball

It's predictably terrible. I'm a massive Stone Roses fan and I have to say that I do not like this. At all. :'(
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

SuperSurfer

Pah.

I don't mind the new track at all.

Their first album, as Spikes says, is a classic. A contender for album of the 80s. And it rightfully holds its very high ranking on so many best album ever lists (unlike anything by Neheh Cherry). Summed up an era for me. "Jangly toss?" Yeah, right.

First heard of them on Tony Wilson's The Other Side of Midnight

Second album didn't hit the spot, though had some corkers.

Better than all that cock-rock that so many comic fans keep going on about... grumble, grumble.

JayzusB.Christ

Beng a wannabe goth at 14, I didn't really get the Stone Roses when they came out first.  My brother and his cool mates were into them; and I looked around in horror as people swapped their suede boots and tight jeans for baggy yellow trousers and billowing hoodies.  But I later realised that the first album was an amazing piece of work; I listened to it and it gave me shivers. 

The second album wasn't quite so amazing but it grew on me, and eventually I really, really liked it.  I don't any more, though.

(Also I never stopped hating the baggy style despite loving the music, I never liked Fool's Gold that much, and Neneh Cherry's Buffalo Stance is awesome.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 15 May, 2016, 09:30:28 AM
I never stopped hating the baggy style despite loving the music, I never liked Fool's Gold that much, and Neneh Cherry's Buffalo Stance is awesome.

It's really a Bomb The Bass record! A Bomb The Bass record with a featured vocalist, just like Bug Powder Dust or Don't Make Me Wait.

I wasn't offering Buffalo Stance as an example of enduring cool, just being honest about what I loved as a nerd kid in a small village at a time when the only culture available was the mainstream stuff listed above, which arrived via telly, radio, and my local paper shop.

Nobody at my school was into anything outside the mainstream, and when I did go back and explore the late eighties as an adult, the stuff that still seemed fresh was Pixies and Public Enemy, rather than the Roses or The Cure.

I really wasn't shitting on anyone else's musical loves, just explaining why the critical adulation for the Stone Roses, to which Supersurfer appeals, didn't/doesn't mean anything to me. I'm not letting the trouser thing go though - they were rank-fucking-rotten.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 14 May, 2016, 11:29:46 AM
I do have fond memories of the hoops fans would jump through to try and pretend Love Spreads was any good though (sorry Colin, it was total, lumpen rock gash.)

Oh completely agree. Its a bloody awful song and I really don't get on with Da Roses at all any more. Still I did really get wrapped up with the excitment of it all back in the day!

Spikes

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 15 May, 2016, 11:31:58 AM
Quote from: The Cosh on 14 May, 2016, 11:29:46 AM
I do have fond memories of the hoops fans would jump through to try and pretend Love Spreads was any good though (sorry Colin, it was total, lumpen rock gash.)

Oh completely agree. Its a bloody awful song and I really don't get on with Da Roses at all any more. Still I did really get wrapped up with the excitment of it all back in the day!

Actually..... I don't mind that single. For me, it was kinda ahead of it's time, a wee bit. So had a few peeps scratching their heads. Others, of course, may just simply not like it....
Now I'm not in anyway a rock fan, but clearly Mr Squire had been listening to his old 'Zep albums whilst waiting for his record company woes to clear up.
Didn't like it then, but Like it now. Their last great single, methinks.

SuperSurfer

I wasn't living in the UK when the Stone Roses were all the rage. But in the Netherlands the 'Manchester scene' was all the rage amongst some of my work colleagues and friends and Fools Gold was constantly on MTV. I recorded my Stone Roses LP onto a cassette while visiting in the UK. The tape was a tad too short so the album would annoyingly end just before the finale.

Classic a track Fools Gold is, but I don't think it should've been slapped onto the CD version.

Quote from: Butch on 15 May, 2016, 11:29:06 AM
the stuff that still seemed fresh was Pixies and Public Enemy, rather than the Roses or The Cure.
Pixies, PE and not the Cure. Totally with you on those Mr Butch.

Keef Monkey

I've never been a fan, but on hearing the new single the first thing that came to mind was it sounds like it could be a new single by (fictional ban in the TV show Lost) Drive Shaft. So, not great then.