Main Menu

Prog 2137 : Mind how you go...

Started by Darren Stephens, 22 June, 2019, 08:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 24 June, 2019, 02:43:47 PM
List of names: Or P. Wildbeest. Rick Clark, W Gosmore, Steve Alan, Ben Haldean, Jack Adrian, TGBW Cribbling, Bill Henry, Jack Hamilton Tee, James R Montague...

Also Ian Holland wrote a few things for New Eagle.

Sorry - missed that  Rick Clark had already been mentioned.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

BPP

Quote from: Fungus on 24 June, 2019, 02:34:39 PM
Ideally Ken is real and is reading this tearing his hair out   ;)

My vote's for Al.
If it's Neil I'll give you the money meself.

Ken certain does read this.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Dudley

Quote from: sheridan on 24 June, 2019, 02:43:47 PM
List of names: Or P. Wildbeest. Rick Clark, W Gosmore, Steve Alan, Ben Haldean, Jack Adrian, TGBW Cribbling, Bill Henry, Jack Hamilton Tee, James R Montague...

Also `Legs' Larry Smith, drums
And Sam Spoons, rhythm pole
And Vernon Dudley Bohay-Nowell, bass guitar
And Neil Innes, piano.
Come in Rodney Slater on the saxophone
With Roger Ruskin Spear on tenor sax.
I, Vivian Stanshall, trumpet.
Say hello to big John Wayne, xylophone
And Robert Morley, guitar.
Billy Butlin, spoons.
And looking very relaxed, Adolf Hitler on vibes.
Nice!

Frank

hippynumber1

Quote from: MumboJimbo on 24 June, 2019, 01:40:26 PM
Quote from: hippynumber1 on 23 June, 2019, 06:54:53 PM
Quote from: MumboJimbo on 23 June, 2019, 02:55:49 PM
I don't think George Elliot wrote this week's Judge Dredd. She died in 1880.

I believe I, Cosh's point is that Kenneth Neimand is, most likely, a pseudonym, just like George Eliot.

Yeah I got that, in fact I called it a "nom de plume" in my original post. Cosh's point was that George Eliot was a male pseudonym for a female writer. And the point of that was to pull me up on my original assumption that the person behind the Neimand name was a man. My point was to purposefully misunderstand him (or maybe Cosh is a her - Jesus I won't be making that mistake again) and pretend he was actually claiming that George Eliot actually is Neimand and wrote this week's Dredd. You know, as a joke.

I've been ill... A lot of things have been going over my head.

Tjm86

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tjm86 on 25 June, 2019, 05:14:49 AM
"I'm Kenneth Niemand and so is my wife!"

In a very real sense, we're all Ken Niemand now.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

MumboJimbo

Maybe, like Dredd, he will never be unmasked. Oh, the delicious irony.

IndigoPrime

Sneak peek at next issue's Dredd. It's all gone a bit too in-jokey, sadly.

JayzusB.Christ

I'm lost. There's one boarder who I know is called Ken but I think I'm missing something.  I love Thistle one though.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 June, 2019, 02:17:40 PM
I'm lost. There's one boarder who I know is called Ken but I think I'm missing something.  I love Thistlebone though; very much a Kill List vibe.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Quote instead of edit.  Bloody Beadlehands, I am.

Proudhuff

He's not the messiah, s/he's a very naughty droid!
DDT did a job on me

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 June, 2019, 02:17:40 PM
I think I'm missing something.

Recent Dredd stories* have been credited to Kenneth Niemand, leading to speculation concerning the identity of the author.

The stories are well-written enough that the author is clearly not a newcomer to comics and the level of engagement with the concepts and themes at the heart of the strip suggest they're unlikely to be a first time Dredd writer either.

As demonstrated by the list of 2000ad pseudonyms above, the writers most likely to employ pen names are members of editorial staff wishing to conceal their connection to the publisher, but both Nerve Centre employees with scripting experience have stated they're not Niemand.

The list of writers who've scripted Dredd for 2000ad is still pretty short, and the Niemand stories published so far don't exhibit the stylistic tics or thematical concerns of any of them. Niemand's either an infrequent contributor or an established author switching to Southpaw.

One theory posits a former freelancer currently enjoying success in US comics, but I'm not sure I've ever read that particular author write anything as rank as Block Buds (2113-2114).  Fun exercise, though.

* And the one-off where Starlord* was revealed to be recruiting pre-teen jihadis for his space war (2061, Dec 2017)