Main Menu

‘Dark Judges’ Online Miniseries

Started by JOE SOAP, 06 October, 2014, 09:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

The bootleg version of the Punisher is the only one that makes sense though. The rest treat him like a superhero... Garth Ennis got it right. He's a serial killer.

I don't see him as a prick, as long as he wants to keep making these things for free I'm perfectly happy. I don't think his stuff pisses off the property owners either, he's not making money off them. I also don't see a 'fuck you' to Rebellion anywhere in there.

Greg M.

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 30 October, 2014, 03:40:25 PM
Is it just me or is he a bit of a prick?

Put it this way - I read that interview with no particularly strong opinions on the man and his work beforehand, and I came away finding him rather tiresome and obnoxious. But maybe he's lovely in real life.

blackmocco

Well, he comes across as a complete narcissist although that description and movie producer usually go together like bread and butter. Dirty Laundry wasn't his idea though. I was always under the impression it was Thomas Jane's thing and Shankar jumped onboard. My ire is reserved for the fact he doesn't mention the poor schmucks who actually made this thing in most of these interviews. Good exposure, indeed.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Teivion

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 30 October, 2014, 03:44:55 PM
The bootleg version of the Punisher is the only one that makes sense though. The rest treat him like a superhero... Garth Ennis got it right. He's a serial killer.

I don't see him as a prick, as long as he wants to keep making these things for free I'm perfectly happy. I don't think his stuff pisses off the property owners either, he's not making money off them. I also don't see a 'fuck you' to Rebellion anywhere in there.

You miss the fact posted and discussed earlier in the thread then that said things arent just revolving around a money issue here- its keeping artistic control over a character that, as with Stallone, if it isnt overseen and policed, can put the character back at least a decade if he's seen in something rubbish...

GordonR

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 30 October, 2014, 03:44:55 PM

If you owned any IPs, and saw someone whose measure of actual talents and skills continues to elude doing what he wanted with your IP, and talking about his 'vision' for your property, you might think differently about that.

As has been pointed out, he doesn't mention the people who actually did the work on the animation.  It's just all about him.  An Adi-Is-Awesome Production.

I've called this a vanity project before.  I've seen absolutely nothing yet to contradict that.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Richmond Clements

Steve Green

Somewhere the Apprentice is missing a candidate.

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: blackmocco on 30 October, 2014, 03:53:04 PM
Well, he comes across as a complete narcissist although that description and movie producer usually go together like bread and butter.

And this line..

"It's all right. I'm 29 years old, I've made 10 movies, whatever."

....is typical of many producers.  YOU made those movies did you?  YOU?  No, the crew make movies, you promote, and make noise ABOUT those movies.  A change of producer would mean no real difference to the artistic value of a decent film, so it doesn't really matter who they are.  Which is unfortunately why just about anyone with a fistful of cash can become a producer.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Theblazeuk

QuoteYou miss the fact posted and discussed earlier in the thread then that said things arent just revolving around a money issue here- its keeping artistic control over a character that, as with Stallone, if it isnt overseen and policed, can put the character back at least a decade if he's seen in something rubbish...

Did I miss the point where someone with artistic control actually expressed this opinion?

Stallone was licensed so I don't really see how it's a point of comparison other than the woeful lack of anything else on screen from the Big Meg.

I understand your points but its a non-issue until John Wagner, Ezquerra or someone from Rebellion expresses it that way.

Richmond Clements

QuoteDid I miss the point where someone with artistic control actually expressed this opinion?

I think the fact that nobody in Rebellion, or any of the creators of Dredd, have not expressed an opinion on this cartoon should tell you all you need to know.

Goosegash

I'd be amazed if Rebellion's lawyers haven't issued a Cease and Desist yet. I know they've been extremely  protective when it comes to their IPs before now, so why is this any different?

It's not the same situation as fan films like Judge Minty, or that Slaine movie trailer, which are usually made for the love of it and ultimately respectful of the characters and the creators. This cartoon on the other hand just seems like an arrogant rich kid seizing on a tenuous connection to another project in order to raise his profile, and it treats the franchise like a joke. It does no-one any favours, and isn't going to help the cause of a potential Dredd sequel in the near future.

Also the fact that someone associated(but not creatively) in the last Dredd film is behind it gives it a legitimacy which it almost certainly doesn't deserve.

Steve Green

Well, it would all be speculation since there's been nothing official said.

blackmocco

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 30 October, 2014, 05:27:57 PM
QuoteYou miss the fact posted and discussed earlier in the thread then that said things arent just revolving around a money issue here- its keeping artistic control over a character that, as with Stallone, if it isnt overseen and policed, can put the character back at least a decade if he's seen in something rubbish...

Did I miss the point where someone with artistic control actually expressed this opinion?

Stallone was licensed so I don't really see how it's a point of comparison other than the woeful lack of anything else on screen from the Big Meg.

I understand your points but its a non-issue until John Wagner, Ezquerra or someone from Rebellion expresses it that way.

Make of this what you will, maybe it's just by remarkable coincidence, but we received a (very polite, I might add) communique from the fine folks at 2000AD last week asking us to change the wording of our disclaimer for our animated project so it's very clear indeed none of what we end up with is remotely endorsed or approved by 2000AD or Rebellion. Can't say I blame them.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com