Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

Last game I finished was The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - I thought it was an awesome game as you'd expect from the Zelda franchise, but different enough to really set itself apart.  The style of the game, with the cell graphics really gave me the impression of elegance.  I really liked the flooded Hyrule concept as well despite hearing many complaints when the game was initially released.  It's probably not my favourite Zelda game of the ones I've played (that would be Twilight Princess).

I am currently working my way through three other games intermittently as well. 

First there is Okami, the playstation 2 game that was ported to the Wii.  It's a fun game and the idea of using a paintbrush to perform certain actions really appeals to me as an artist.  The story and visuals are fun as well - given I enjoy aspects of Japanese culture, this becomes another draw for me.  I get the feeling it is not a game for everyone, though.

Second is Shadow of the Colossus.  Nothing but boss fights!  What a great idea.  The atmosphere is engrossing and the Colossus are well designed.  I played Ico before purchasing an old copy of this game - so far I'd say Ico is probably the better game, but it's a damn close call.

Last is Pikmin.  I don't know what to make of this game yet.  It reminds me a little of RTS' I used to play and I really wasn't expecting that from the game.  It's interesting but I'll have to finish it before I can give a judgement on this one.

bluemeanie

Sniper : Ghost Warrior
Grabbed it as part of a bundle so probably paid less than a quid for it. It had a pretty bad rep but I actually quite enjoyed it

Good - Looks gorgeous. Sniper shots feel good and solid. Decent difficulty balance.

Bad - you sat down?
Shoddy AI varying from preternatural senses to "Yeah, the two guys next to me just got their heads blown off but I think I'll just stand here".
Dodgy mission triggers. Tries to make you think it's very open world but if you get to your objective without passing some random marker they've built in the game wont progress. You learn to stay on track but I had a few annoying plays where invisible walls hemmed me in... in open water!
The end. There isnt one. Well not one of note anyway

Oh, and they throw in some non sniper levels with a standard machine gun. The aiming on these are HORRIBLE. Well, maybe it's realistic and I'm used to games blessing me with amazing skills. Only a few of these though and they do make you LOVE your sniper rifle when you get it back.

So definitely the poor mans Sniper Elite. £5.99 on steam at the moment, not sure I'd be happy if I paid that. Prob worth picking up in the next steam sale though if you like this type of game.

Now back to Sniper Zombie Nazi whotsit which I'm still on the fence about. Still not sure if the game wants me to kill all the seemingly endless swarms of zombies sometimes or if I'm just missing my true mission objective. Had a few times where I get to the point the map says and nothing.... just lots of zombies coming out of the floor in waves

NorthVox

FTL: Faster Than Light. It's incredible, as fun as it is difficult!

shaolin_monkey

I just completed Special Ops: The Line. I was expecting a generic shooter, but apart from some clunky controls it turned into much more than that. A very grim but compelling narrative makes this game well worth a look. You can probably pick it up cheap these days too.

CrazyFoxMachine

Was amazed when talking to my friend's 15-year-old brother that the young 'uns round his way are still playing the phenomenal Liero

and also "everyone at school plays Garry's Mod" - I'm like, "what from Half Life 2?!" It's fair heartening though - the kind of freedom GM and Liero allow obviously transcends them beyond redundancy.

Mardroid

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Yes, I know there have been a couple of sequels but I'm usually behind in gaming. Although a good game, is a good game so I'm not convinced that age should matter. And it's not THAT old.

And it is a good game. Finding it difficult to defeat Bane though. I think I can take him, but another bunch of guys keep getting in the way...

Batman's Superior Cousin

Several game's at the minute, up to & including:
Killzone Shadow Fall for the PlayStation 4 - Before my console broke down, I was busy playing this little baby. Hopefully, I'll have have another console before the month is out, so I'll finally finish the game.
Telltale Games' The Wolf Among Us & The Walking Dead: Season Two for the PlayStation 3 - I'm a massive fan of both the Fables comic & The Walking Dead: Season One so it's pretty obvious really.
Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse - Episode One for the PlayStation Vita - I've played the first three games, and when I heard that this was coming back to Sony, I instantly couldn't wait to play this.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Professor Bear

Lego Marvel Super Heroes for the PS4 - suffers from the usual Lego problems of increasingly-obtuse puzzle solutions, but as a two-player it's lots more fun than the frustrating single-player.
Killzone Mercenary for the Vita - some really good game design at work in this, probably with the smaller screen of the handheld machine in mind, but a lot of home console games - especially COD and Battlefield - could benefit with the clever use of colour and setting to always make it apparent who you are supposed to be shooting at and who your allies are.  As with most FPS games on Vita, the controls are adequate at best rather than instinctive, but the game is good, probably one of the best in the series.
Contrast on PS4 - neat gimmick of using shadows as platforms brings back 2d platforming to a 3d game area.  Not the hardest puzzler in the world and half-dressed lady types are kind of over now, but good fun.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: NorthVox
FTL: Faster Than Light. It's incredible, as fun as it is difficult!

I play that from time to time. It's as hard as it's addictive and I've only just recently unlocked the Engi ship.

I been playing The Bureau: X-Com Declassified and I think I'm almost near the end of it.

It's a lot like the previous game (X-Com : Enemy Unknown) games. Except it's set during the early 60's during the height of the American/Russian cold war. So it's very retro, compared to the previous game and it's set in real time (Which can be slowed down to give your three-man squad orders and use their abilities.) and in second person perspective. You can also walk around in the underground head-quarters and talk to other people. Your squad can only have three people. The main character CIA Special Agent Carter and two squaddies. Who be either Recon, Commando, Engineer and I totally forget the other one.

Right now, I am in really difficult battle on the alien mother-ship. My squad and the main character keep getting killed off by multiple attack drones.

Unlike the previous game, I've never got anyone in my squad killed yet. Which may be the reason why I'm not getting anywhere in this game right now.

Devons Daddy

Ghosts Xbox360

its fun,its good but not WOW!!!!
just more of the same, lacks that OMG :o :o elements and plot twists.
great graphics, cut scenes,and so forth.
yet it fails to hit the mark.

i was expecting more, to much customization for live is another slightly annoying element. its just to much of to much.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

mogzilla

playing through fallout 3 obsessively but still got to finish assassins creed 4 black flag which is difficult to do as I get wrapped up pirating the high seas!
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

pictsy

I recently purchased 5 Playstation 2 games for under £3 - Prince of Persia Warrior Within, Metal Gear Solid 2, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, Oni and XG3: Extreme-G Raching.  I have only played four so far.

I started with XG3 which is a racing game in the vein of Wipeout and F-Zero.  This was surprisingly good and one of the cheapest of the bunch.  I was already vaguely aware of the game and I think it will be a fun one to dip in and out of.

I next tried Oni which didn't impress me in the least.  I don't think particularly highly of games involving Rockstar and this just solidifies my opinion.  The controls are clunky and unintuitive, the level design (first level at least) is more becoming of an early 90s PC first person than a PS2 game.  Thankfully this was also one of the cheapest costing me 25p.  25p wasted, perhaps.

After that I tried Ghost Recon.  An improvement on Oni but not particularly great.  Clunky controls, again.  I've played early PS2 games of this genre that managed to get things right, I'm baffled how a Tom Clancy game managed to fail.  Not impressed.

Last I played Metal Gear Solid 2.  I am obviously well aware of the Metal Gear franchise but I've never played an instalment before.  The controls are good, but I don't really know what I'm doing and it's not especially helpful in game.  It is a little frustrating that I have to get to grips with how to play the game before I can actually play the game properly.  I suspect I would fair better if I had started with the first game.  The controller layout is pretty bizarre as well.  The game does look good and having decent controls makes the world of difference.  When I get used to it all I am sure I will get more out of it, but currently I feel like a frustrated newb.

JamesC

I had XG3 on the GameCube and loved it - it gets super fast later on and some of the tracks are crazy!

Pete Wells

Well I'm LOVING my Xbox One! Over the holidays I've adored Ryse (despite cacky reviews elsewhere, it absolutely blew me away) and thought COD: Ghosts was a blast. The last few days (and nights) I've been completely addicted to Dead Rising 3 - the size of the Zombie hordes is absolutely staggering and some of the weapons are hilarious.

Before this I was playing Assassins Creed 4 which I also frigging loved. The swashbuckling pirate sea battles are stunning - you have to cripple the ships before swinging over to them and fighting the crew hand to hand. Brill!

I am a happy gamer!

JamesC

Yep, I'm absolutely loving Assassin's Creed 4 - best one in the series in my opinion.