Main Menu

Life Spugs because...

Started by Dog Deever, 04 March, 2009, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

QuoteTordelback, your friend working for nothing, nursemaiding the guy who got the job, is a fool
!

No questions there, many an evening has been passed on that very theme.  But he's been working on this project for at least 5 years, and funding ran out last year (due to unreasonable extra stuff being shoved into the brief at the last minute), and here's the kicker: if it ever gets finished he gets his name (as one of those) on the cover.  It's like the finest grade of heroin to you academic types, you'll all jump through any hoops for the promise of your john hancock on a fat publication, because that might allow you to be turned down for a better class of post in the future.

Incidentally, I laugh at the idea of a 3 year PhD.  Amongst my humanities-based peer-group, the range seems to be 4-10(!), with only one girl I know getting out in 3 (and her brains would scorch your eyes out at 30 paces, not to mention her work-ethic).  Bear in mind that by the time you've done a 3-4 year primary and a 2 year MA, you're well into your 20's.  Thus even when the work itself didn't consume the time most people had to work to pay for it, take time off to care for relatives etc.  I appreciate that in today's university culture a primary humanities degree is the equivalent of staying on an extra year in a school, a masters is an end-of-term essay, and a PhD is what a masters used to be, but Twas Not Always Thus.

Quote from: "M.I.K."I just found out that Home Of The Underdogs no longer exists in any form.

Now that is bad news, I'm always recommending that place to people.  Hope I downloaded more goodies than I remember doing...

grimmy

"I am the liquor"
"Gods balls!"
"I watch the watchmen"
"Randy!"

Roger Godpleton

Continuing on the academia theme, I should point out in spite of my bravado that doing an MA in a subject I lost interest in has set me back by at least a couple of years and has lead to mucho self-loathing.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

TordelBack

QuoteIf we hate the BBC it's for the fact it doesn't appear to offer anything worth the licence fee:
QuoteAh, but BBC Radio is worth almost any price - I've said it here before, but if I (as a Paddy) could pay a couple of euro a day for Radio 4 alone I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I won't use the Attenborough Argument either, but it shouldn't be discounted.

But no ITV means no more Primeval, and that would make for a very sad Tordelback indeed.

House of Usher

Quote from: "TordelBack"Ah, but BBC Radio is worth almost any price
I like Radio 4, and I'm even prepared to pay for its continued existence, but I never listen to it. I still like to know it's there.
STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

of people.A client this morning went *absolutely apeshit* because i used a fork from their kitchen to eat a pot noodle on the scaffolding and forgot to return it .This is after they said use the kitchen to make tea or coffee obviously using their cups and teaspoons etc etc.The use of the fork without returning it as soon as is apparently theft even though it was returned later.

people keep getting stuff wrong.I went to a cycle shop to buy a seat post bracket.I wanted a size that fits a diameter of 3 cm."This size will fit !" you sure about that ? It looks a bit small "It will fit .Dont worry !" Upon fitting it to the bike frame it doesnt bloody fit.I had a delivery of floorboards arranged for yesterday AM.No delivery so we ring them up and they said the delivery was for today *sometime* when it damned well wasnt.

This type of thing happens all the time and i get tired of it.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Wils

Quote from: "peterwolf"of people.A client this morning went *absolutely apeshit* because i used a fork from their kitchen to eat a pot noodle on the scaffolding and forgot to return it .This is after they said use the kitchen to make tea or coffee obviously using their cups and teaspoons etc etc.The use of the fork without returning it as soon as is apparently theft even though it was returned later.

To be fair, though "help yourself to tea and coffee" isn't the same as "help yourself to any cutlery to eat your dinner with". It wouldn't have taken much to ask first, would it? Just taking it and especially not returning it just shows a lack of respect for your client. Personally, I would've asked before taking it, then washed and returned it to the drawer as soon as I'd finished eating. Maybe I'm in the one with the skewed sense of other people's property, though?  :roll:

M.I.K.

Quote from: "Wils"Maybe I'm in the one with the skewed sense of other people's property, though?  :roll:

I think not.

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

uncle fester

Quote from: "peterwolf"I had a delivery of floorboards arranged for yesterday AM.No delivery so we ring them up and they said the delivery was for today *sometime* when it damned well wasnt.

This type of thing happens all the time and i get tired of it.

Whole other topic of discussion, but I was once in your shoes and I feel your pain!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "Wils"
Quote from: "peterwolf"of people.A client this morning went *absolutely apeshit* because i used a fork from their kitchen to eat a pot noodle on the scaffolding and forgot to return it .This is after they said use the kitchen to make tea or coffee obviously using their cups and teaspoons etc etc.The use of the fork without returning it as soon as is apparently theft even though it was returned later.

To be fair, though "help yourself to tea and coffee" isn't the same as "help yourself to any cutlery to eat your dinner with". It wouldn't have taken much to ask first, would it? Just taking it and especially not returning it just shows a lack of respect for your client. Personally, I would've asked before taking it, then washed and returned it to the drawer as soon as I'd finished eating. Maybe I'm in the one with the skewed sense of other people's property, though?  :roll:

You are absolutely right but there was no one to ask as usually they are out at work and i go through the flat to access the back of the building as per the arrangement.Usually coffee cups are returned and either washed up or left to one side along with their washing up.Anyway not so much lack of respect as it was more like an oversight but i thought it was a bit of an overreaction as everything had been very relaxed up until now.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

worldshown

...of my diet.

Last night's tea was grilled steak, baked beans and brussels sprouts followed by fruit.

Someone at Weightwatchers either has a sick sense of humour, or no sense of smell.

(parp!)

johnnystress

Quote from: "Wils"the one with the skewed sense of other people's property, though?  ;)

House of Usher

...today I've run out of things to complain about! At least until I get back to work on Tuesday.
STRIKE !!!

Kerrin

The bakers/sandwich shop in the village where I work have decided to stop opening on a saturday morning, thus depriving me of my bacon and egg baguette for one morning a week (I don't have one on sunday either as part of my strict fitness regime).

I AM APOPLECTIC WITH RAGE!

I had thought about boycotting them in protest but there's no mileage in cutting off your nose to spite your face. And they do make an unparalleled fruit cake. And a very pleasing Victoria sponge.