Main Menu

It's a bit warm/ wet/ cold outside

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 24 July, 2019, 09:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Sorry, typing while half asleep!

I was tring to post an image direct to this thread using the  BBCode last night, the source of the pic being Imgur.  Previously it had given the option of a BBCode link to insert directly into a forum post like this.

However, I couldn't see how to do that from the Imgur app I installed, and was shouting out for assistance.  I tried to use the pic URL directly, attaching the BBCode myself, but it wasn't playing.

Anyway, cut a long story short, it was a great graph which showed the potential drivers of climate change.  You may hear 'deniers' say things like "it's CO2 from volcanoes" or "it's the grand solar minimum/sunspots/other sun related thing".

What the graph did was split out the scientific studies of these:

man-made greenhouse gases
sun activity
other environmental impacts such as volcanoes
orbital

...charting them separately and then together in one sheet.  It was blindingly obvious that the main driver by a ridiculously huge degree was man-made greenhouse gases (CO2 etc).

Sorry, probably meaningless without the graph.  I guess you had to be there.

IndigoPrime

shaolin_monkey

shaolin_monkey

Remember I mentioned the jet stream and it's sudden unpredictability?

More on that here:

https://www.ft.com/content/591395fe-b761-11e9-96bd-8e884d3ea203

shaolin_monkey

The IPCC promised to release three reports covering specific subjects related to the climate effect on the environment.

Here's the first, which is all about climate and land.  One interesting finding is that while the global average temperature increas so far is about 1.1C, if we look at the average for land only it is 1.5C.

Section B is interesting in terms of protecting food security. The report earlier highlights that 1.5C increase is definitely going to have an effect on food availability, and 2C or above is going to mean a crash in food supplies (On a side note, the US Midwest is already experiencing food instability - check out #noplant19 on Twitter - it's Midwest farmers recording how record rainfall and flooding has prevented planting crop staples like corn. Some couldn't plant st all, and some planted late, meaning substandard crops come harvest. September is going to be an interesting time for Americans - certain crops and ethanol will be in very short supply, so prices will rocket and there will be food shortages for both humans and livestock).

Section B talks about mitigating crop loss, and a variety of adaptations to farming people will have to make around the globe if we stand any chance of avoiding famine as the temperature continues to rise.

https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uploads/2019/08/4.-SPM_Approved_Microsite_FINAL.pdf

Leigh S

at this point, I'm leaning to believe that the so called deniers know exactly what the impact will be and are rubbing their hands waiting to exploit the chaos

shaolin_monkey

While the IPCC Land report is alarming in and of itself, some critics think it has missed a vital opportunity by not highlighting the massive CO2 impact of livestock farming, not just in how much it costs in terms of CO2 to rear the animals, but also the loss of carbon sinks such as natural woodlands.

George Monbiot in The Guardian is one such critic, and his analysis is well worth a read:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/08/ipcc-land-climate-report-carbon-cost-meat-dairy

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Leigh S on 08 August, 2019, 06:54:41 PM
at this point, I'm leaning to believe that the so called deniers know exactly what the impact will be and are rubbing their hands waiting to exploit the chaos

Oh yeah, totally agree - the disaster capitalists are rubbing their greedy paws together in glee at the prospect of increased shareholder value as the world burns and millions starve.

IndigoPrime

Read MEP-Rees-Mogg's hideous articles along those lines, talking about water being an opportunity for capitalists.

shaolin_monkey

This interview with Professor Michael A Mann is well worth thirty minutes of your time.

He and Jenna Spinelle discuss the many attempts by the fossil fuel interests to discredit efforts to raise awareness of the climate crisis.

https://radio.wpsu.org/post/democracy-works-michael-manns-journey-through-climate-wars

shaolin_monkey

‪So, climate change has started affecting our food supply.

I mentioned #noplant19 previously - a hashtag where farmers in the US Midwest showed the extreme weather severely disrupted corn planting.‬

The US is already low in some staples, and the crop yield in September is likely to be very low.

‪Now the UK has crop shortages due to extreme weather - the floods in Lincolnshire and heatwave in the EU.‬

‪Stock up folks - this isn't going away.‬

‪#ClimateEmergency ‬

‪https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cauliflower-shortage-uk-floods-heatwave-europe-a9055121.html‬

IndigoPrime

And therein lies the problem: often you can't stockpile. How do you stockpile cauliflower?

radiator

Hawkmumbler

Aahh Harris is a good lad, all his videos are worth a watch and are superb at deconstructing the rising stupidity of alt-right consoiracy nuts.