Main Menu

It's a bit warm/ wet/ cold outside

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 24 July, 2019, 09:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Epic thread on Twitter from Prof. Katharine Hayhoe which demystifies all the numbers floating around in the media about climate change.

Well worth a read-through:

https://twitter.com/khayhoe/status/1104833329587806210?s=21

shaolin_monkey

"But the climate has always changed!"

Here's a nifty graph that shows average temperature millions, then thousands, of years gone by, where it was that climate stabilised allowing humans to thrive, then that it is very suddenly getting way hotter, and finally where that temp gauge might end up shortly!

shaolin_monkey

A twenty minute radio programme from
The BBC regarding the Australian bushfires, including an interview with Prof. Michael Mann, who is currently out there:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07zns45

shaolin_monkey

sheridan

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 07 January, 2020, 02:53:54 PM
In case you missed this:

Mike Smith's gone downhill since his radio one DJ days...

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 07 January, 2020, 03:16:09 PM
Mike Smith's gone downhill since his radio one DJ days...

Having written that a distant bell rang - the DJ died in 2014 - oops...

shaolin_monkey

shaolin_monkey

So it seems I'm a member of a terrorist organisation. Go figure.

I guess that's a right-wing totalitarian regime for you!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/10/xr-extinction-rebellion-listed-extremist-ideology-police-prevent-scheme-guidance

Tjm86

That isn't exactly a revelation here.  Right from the off the 'Prevent' strategy had these hallmarks.  Describing it as 'dubious' is the most charitable representation.

Greg M.

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 10 January, 2020, 06:44:19 PM

I have no love for the current incarnation of the UK government, but totalitarian regimes don't tend to admit they've made a mistake and recall their guidance as has happened here. We might be on the way, but we're not there yet.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Greg M. on 10 January, 2020, 07:06:22 PM

I have no love for the current incarnation of the UK government, but totalitarian regimes don't tend to admit they've made a mistake and recall their guidance as has happened here. We might be on the way, but we're not there yet.

True and true. I guess being sardonic doesn't translate well in text.

Greg M.

Don't get me wrong, the potential criminalisation of dissent is one of the most worrying things imaginable.

Funt Solo

I think China has the right idea: rather than quash dissent, they simply move everyone into re-education centers, from which they (sometimes) return, entirely cured of their wrong thinking and now happy, well-adjusted citizens (not paralyzed with fear or traumatized or even filled with tamped-down rage at the injustice).

Also, climate change can be avoided by simply ignoring it.

[/sarcasm]
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dandontdare

So it seems I'm a member of a terrorist organisation.

I don't negotiate with terrorists! [ignore this user]
:lol:

None of this is new apart from the tech - in the 80s my mate's house (attached to the village primary school of which his mum was the head) was a 'designated rest stop' when the queen visited the village - in other words, if she got the squits mid-walkabout, they'd rush her to his bathroom - they're very thorough)
The first he knew about it (age 16) was when two guys in suits came to his house to check it over and interview everyone who lived there -they freaked him out because they knew that he was a member of CND and Labour Students and specific demos he'd been on. And that's when they used paper files, carbon copies and proper telephones.

shaolin_monkey