Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 29 June, 2020, 10:39:38 AM
December 1989?  But...

But...

...that means the next prog will be in the 1990s!

Still a few more episodes until then! We've got three more 1989 progs, the Spinnies of course, and the 1989 Winter Special, which I'm incredibly excited about!

Quote from: Echidna on 30 June, 2020, 01:09:54 PM
Fox I love your podcast but you really need a better standard of guests, this Conrad guy is super gross and totally unprofessional.

JK great job guys! Top marks to Conrad for [spoiler]keeping up the Keef Ripley kayfabe (Keefabe?)[/spoiler]

I had never heard of R.O.B. the robot before - I guess he wasn't widely distributed in the UK - so found this pretty fascinating: The Story of R.O.B. the Robot | Gaming Historian

I was a Sega kid, so the "Do me a favour, plug me into a Sega" ad in Prog 655 brought back fond memories of the TV version. Although it must be said it doesn't really work in print.

Also, a 24 hour Starlord Twitch stream is mad mental crazy and I will be there for, oh, at least 20 minutes of it ;)

The ROB trojan horse is super important. As a lad I vividly remember the ads mentioned in that video, and really wanting that cool robot (I wouldn't get an NES until later, when it came with THE POWER PAD)

Quote from: WhizzBang on 29 June, 2020, 02:22:36 PM
Another great show. Well done Fox! Will there be more of this or is it a one-off?

A one-off for now, But I'm hoping positive feedback will inspire him to take the wheel more often!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and eleventh episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 657-659 of 2000AD, covering December of 1989. This episode It's a festive mood as Dredd deals with mentals, Christmas, and families, Chopper gets ready for the big race, Zenith deals with super hero intrigue, and Judge Anderson gets random!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Also, the 1989 Spinnies are coming up! There's plenty of time to send in your nominations! What is your favorite:

• Art
  • Writing
  • Overall Thrill
  • Month in Progs
  • Year of 2000AD (from 1987 to 1989)
And your MVP of 1989! Send 'em in and we'll read 'em on the show!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

I get those postage issues as well - I see something about a third of the UK price, then notice it's in the USA and postage takes it over the UK price - and that's before customs get their mitts on it and charge four times the value of something in excise.

sheridan

Stories

Bradley
Bradley Visits his Granpappy

Chopper
Song of the Surfer

The Dead Man

Fervent and Lobe
Issigri Variations

Hap Hazzard
Life

Judge Anderson
Contact
Beyond the Void
Helios
Triad
The Prophet
The Random Man

The Mean Team
Survivor

Medivac 318

Moon Runners
Old Acquaintance

Nemesis the Warlock
Book X: Deathbringer

Rogue Trooper
Cinnabar
The War Machine

Sláine
The Horned God Books I and II

Strontium Dog
The Final Solution

Swifty's Return

Tales of the Doghouse
Chameleon
Spud O'Riley
Maeve the Many-Armed
Sting Ray
Froggy Natterjack
Ratty
Niall of the Nine Sausages
Moosey

Zenith
Phase III: War in Heaven

Zero
Night Zero
Beyond Zero

Zippy Couriers
(untitled)
Butch
Supermarket
Women's Business
The Searchers

Judge Dredd
Our Man in Hondo
Bride of Death (reprinted, but from the Daily Star so I'm figuring it's new to more

Squaxx then the general reprint)
Return of the Spider-Woman
That Sweet Stuff
Crazy Barry, Little Mo
Lockin' up the House
A Guide to Mega-City Law
Breakdown on 9th Street
On Meeting Your Enemy
Banana City
In the Bath
John Cassavetes is Dead (Le Tigre - What's Yr Take on Cassavetes?)
10,000,000 is a Dangerous Age, Cynthia
A Total Near Death Experience
A Child's Tale
The Confeshuns of PJ Maybe?
An Elm Street Nightmare
Dead Juve's Curve
And the Wind Cried
Kirby's Demon
Curse of the Spider-Man
The Amazing Ant-Man
The Great Little U-Front Disaster
Playaday
Cardboard City
Over the Top
A Monkey's Tale
Confessions of a Rottweiller
The Shooting Match
Young Giant
Politics
It Still Pays to be Mental
Little Spuggie's Xmas
Family Affair
I'm Manny, Me Fly

Tharg's Future Shocks
Accident
Fat Chance
Time to Wake Up
Enterprise
Writer's Block
The Keepsake
At Twilight's Last Gleaming
Pollution
Fast Forward
Still Life
The Flint Sisters
Deadline
Amanda
Reunion
Just Between Ourselves
For a Body Like Dwayne Death's
Ideas
The Hit
Touch of Death
He Met the Moon Men
Holy Hologram
Race Relations
Opening Moves
Inside Moves
Order of the Beast
The Godfish
House of the Future
The Getting of Wisdom
The Foreign Model
Identity Crisis
Birthday Greetings
You Need Friends
Rogan's Last Ride
Self Awareness
Bingo Hits the Big Time
Val
The Toast

sheridan

Script Droids (a good year for Art droids to make the jump):

Alan Grant
Larry watson
John Wagner
Pat Mills
John Brosnan
John Tomlinson
Stewart Edwards
Steve Dillon
Hilary Robinson
Mike Collins
Nicholas Barber
Peter Milligan
David Anderson
Jim Campbell
Donkin and Neal Brand
John Smith / The Grim Brothers
Larry Watson
Grant Morrison
Alan McKenzie
Ian Rimmer
Mark Millar
Paul Carstairs
John Murphy
Keef Ripley
Dave Gibbons
Simon Furman

sheridan

Art Droids:
Brendan McCarthy
Glenn Fabry
Mark Farmer
Richard Elson
Colin MacNeil
John Hicklenton
Kev Hopgood
Ian Gibson
Simon Jacob
Jose Ortiz
Kevin Walker
Graham Higgins
Steve Yeowell
Mick Austin
Will Simpson
Vanyo
Stephen Baskerville
David Roach
Jamie Hewlett
Chris Weston
Simon Harrison
John McCrea
Massimo Belardinelli
Dougie Braithwaite
Nigel Dobbyn
John Higgins
Barry Kitson
Ron Smith
Gual
Paul Marshall
Dave D'Antiquis
Jim Baikie
Simon Bisley
Duncan Goodacre
Martin Griffiths
Cliff Robinson
Liam (McCormack-) Sharp
Athur Ranson
Carlos Ezquerra
Mike Hadley
Cam Kennedy
Glynn Dillon
Sean Phillips
Keith Page
Andrew Wildman
John Ridgway
David Hine
Tim Perkins (colour for beginning of Song of the Surfer)
Jeff Anderson
Lee Sullivan

Lobo Baggins

Argh, I'd either didn't know or had erased from my memory that Jive Bunny had also massacred March of the Mods along with all the other stuff...

Is there no end to that crudely drawn cartoon rabbit's evil...?
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

SpaceSpinner2000

Good News For All Listeners!
Only joking! Just a very brief mid-week announcement to provide some updates. Listen to the audio for slighlty more details

We've got a new show starting Friday, the Judge Dredd Primer. Podcast mastermind Conrad and Big Meg One co-host Eli will run through some of Dredd's adventures and learn about his world to prepare for the start of the Judge Dredd Megazine! The first in a multi-part series!
Just a reminder that the Starlord podcast marathon, or Starlordathon, starts on July 25th at 1100 UTC time. That's 12 noon in the UK, 11pm in New Zealand, and 4am in California! Subscribe now at twitch.tv/spacespinner2000 so you don't miss a second!
There are a couple kickstarters I've following that I think listeners to our podcast would enjoy. Check them out!
The77 Comic Summer Special
Galaxy Grappling Alliance Issue 2
ComicScene History of Comics 1930-2030

The Monarch

jive bunny and the mastermixers were a pox on the late 80s early 90s pop charts a pox i say

Art Chris weston the man himself is not fond of his early stuff but i adore it. He will of course get better in time....much much better.

Writing That keef ripley fella...I feel like hes going places ;) seriously though john wagner played a blinder this year between all the set up for a certain epic thats looming  plus song of the surfer and a bunch of classic dredd ones offs

Overall Thrill This is a genuinly hard one since a lot of strips are so scattershot this year to the point the final solutions not even done yet and it started in 600. If an incomplete strip got my nod it would be zenith phase 3 which twisted that whole american crisis event thing on its head and populated it with a bunch of british heroes who are whinging about it being above their paygrade.

But if a finished story this year got the nod it would have to be the utterly fantastic cinnibar where John smith takes a to be honest long in the tooth rogue trooper and shook it full of his patented insanity, body horror and gave us a fresh take on the infantryman after that long dismal hit arc. The only sad thing is John doesn't get to do much more with the trooper other than a certain yearbook story i cannot wait to peel the skin away at

Month in Progs easy one this the 650 relaunch changed everything and has a pretty hefty all killer no filler feel to it

Again i cannot pick a year so here is my second annual rick random award for least best 2000ad strip and I am sure fox will be happy and some of my fellow boarders will be shocked to hear me say that Fervent and lobe was the least best of this year. I promise you fox indigo prime will be better than this bizarre mess I wish i could say it was the end of it but....

1990s gonna be a strong year i cannot wait to experience it alongside you between space spinner and the soon to be launched big meg 1 its gonna be Ghafflebette. 91 err not so much

WhizzBang

Thanks Conrad, the Dredd Primer sounds like it will be excellent fun.

On to the Spinnies (with thanks to Sheridan):
    Art -Simon Bisley
    Writing - John Wagner
    Overall Thrill  - Judge Dredd
    Month in Progs - November
    Year of 2000AD (from 1987 to 1989) - 1989

AlexF

My Spinnie votes go to...

Best Art: John Ridgeway (the eyes, the eyes!)
Best Writing: Alan Grant, specifically for John Cassavetes is dead - all his other solo Dredds were terrible in '89. But also for The Final Solution.
Best Overall Thrill: Night Zero/Beyond Zero - the only thrill where every single episode the writing and art were exactly what I wanted.
Best month: December (obviously)
Best Year: 1987
MVP: Hilary Robinson, partly for writing so damn much, but mostly for finding a different tone at long last, and breathing some fresh air in with Tharg's first sitcom: Zippy Couriers and Tharg's first drama: Medivac 318.

Leigh S

My Spinnie votes go to...

Best Art: Colin MacNeil - This might be with hindsight, but he pips Bisley for me even if I vote with the knowledge of what Bisley Clones will do to the comic - he is but the First Simon of the Apocalypse! While I won't claim I had full insight into just how important an artist MacNeil would go on to be, it is super clear he is working from a love of the comic that Bisley is not.  Bisley's Slaine, Mebd, Naimh and Knucker may as well be different characters to what has gone before.  Meanwhile, Colin's turn on "John Cassavettes is dead" nails him as a primo Dredd artist at a time when the comic is trying out a lot of artists on Old Stoney Face with patchy success.

Best Writing: Wagner, for keeping Dredd interesting and hitting us wth world building strips such as Chopper and....others....

Best Overall Thrill: Slaine - might not have won the individuals their respective awards, but as a joint effort, the tension between Pat's high brow and Simon's low brow intentions works for the most part  and is more than the sum of its parts.

Best month: December  - once Chopper replaces the worthy but dull Rogue reboot with proper thrillpower, we have a run of progs that are as good as any in the comic's illustrious history.

Best Year: 1984 Gruddammit!   But of 87 to 89... better than 88, hits higher highs than 87, but is too patchy, so 1987.

MVP: Daily Star Dredd! When the comic floundered in the doldrum months, the inclusion of Daily Star Dredd at least soothed the completionist in me - Always saw these as akin to the lost 60s Doctor Who episodes, but with the ability of Tharg to bring them back from the grave that is the Daily Star! 

Leigh S

erm, not sure Susan has fully got the point of the Spinnies....

WhizzBang

I missed out the MVP category. Mine goes to ...Susan! No, Hilary Robinson. I enjoyed everything she did and it seemed like a bit of fresh air was blowing into the progs.

sheridan

Quote from: Leigh S on 08 July, 2020, 03:58:56 PM
erm, not sure Susan has fully got the point of the Spinnies....

I gather a spambot hit the forum today - was it Susan?