Main Menu

PS3 Delayed If You Are In Europe

Started by Buttonman, 06 September, 2006, 03:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Wasn't planning a purchase myself but it looks like the European gamers get the shitty end of the stick, as usual.

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5319190.stm" target="_blank">Millions of Thumbs Will Survive!

Radbacker

MAJOR RETAILER k-MART AND SEVERAL OTHERS AREN'T GOING TO BE STOCKING IT AT LAUNCH IN AUSTRALIA(THIS INFO FROM A STORE MANAGERS MOUTH) BECAUSE ITS ENTRY LEVEL PRICE IS SO HIGH(A$999.00) AND SONY CANT GUARANTEE THEM ANY FOR LAUNCH(USUAL STORY SHORT SUPPLY UNITS TO CREATE GREATER DEMAND AND MAKE THE UNIT SEEM MORE SUCCESSFUL THAN IT IS.
NOTHING WORTH PLAYING ON IT TILL M.G.S4 ANYWAY SO NO LOSE THERE.

cu RADBACKER

Radbacker

WoD

Should help Nintendo sell bucket-loads more of Wii...

James

http://www.windowsonwarwickshire.org.uk/spotlights/rich_or_poor/assets/images/pisspot.jpg">

Aspicus

Late entry to market (in non-Japanese/US markets at least) + massive price tag + no real innovation (thats not nicked from a competitor anyway) = disaster waiting to happen

Gothmog

It's not just delayed in Europe according to Gamespot.  It's basically practically everywhere except Japan and America who'll get less consoles than expected.

There's another story floating around that an HDMI cable won't be included in the box either so you have to fork out more for the much vaunted high definition gameplay.  Assuming you've already got a snazzy new TV as well.

Link: http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6157145.html?action=convert&click=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0" target="_blank">Wiiiiiiiiiiiii

Wils

But the sad Sony fanboys will buy it regardless of how much or how rubbish it is. This, IIRC, has been made official as it's been stated by some bigwig from Sony when queried about the massive price tag.

Satanist

Goddamnit! Here was me planning to buy one at launch and stick it on eBay, making a massive profit to cover all my Xmas/Hogmanay shenanigans!

Just have to buy a Wii and stay in with Zelda instead. Bah!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Quirkafleeg

It's probably in order to let people arrange the seocnd mortgage they'll need to buy the thing.

Bico

An inflated pricetag for an unimaginative piece of shit that just does more of the same kind of thing that the old one does, you say?
Hasn't done the Xbox 360 any harm, and I doubt it'll do the Playstation brandname any harm either - especially given the near-total saturation of the market that Sony have at the minute.

My only concern at the minute is how I'm going to learn to twat monkeys in clear balls about with that poncey controller on the Wii.

Banners

As a Nintendo fanboy - might this not be bad news? If Nintendo perceive the PS3 announcement has given them some breathing room, will they still launch Wii in Europe so far ahead of Sony?

M@

The Amstor Computer

We'll find out soon enough - there are three Nintendo news conferences taking place on 13, 14 and 15 September in Japan, the US and Europe respectively. It's expected that this will be the launch date/price announcement, plus the unveiling of more software from Nintendo & third-parties plus whatever else still remains to be revealed about the console itself.

I would be astonished if Nintendo took this fuck-up as an indication that they can take their time with launching - if, as expected, Wii launches in late October, then a four-five month window & the likely huge difference in price could give Nintendo a real advantage in Europe, especially with the sluggish sales of the 360.

BTW - if this isn't bad enough, there are reports that only 100,000 units will be available during launch in Japan & just 400,000 in the US...

WoD

Are sales of the 360 'sluggish' then?  Compared to what and what is the level of sale?

Intersting thing sales of consoles and games..broke some of Sony's old internal marketing / pricing rules did the old PS1

The Amstor Computer

WoD - IIRC, the last reported figures for 360 weekly sales in Europe put it at around the 20,000 mark. Japan is far worse - between 1,500 and 2,000 units a week - and America seems to be tracking in line with the sales of the original Xbox, with monthly sales of 200,000-ish. To put that in context, the 360 is being outsold by the PS2 by a comfortable margin in both Japan and the US (25,000 a week & 240,000 a month respectively), though neither can match the DS - admittedly a different market - which is seeing sales of around 170,000 per week in Japan, 350,000 per month in the US and 140,000 per week in Europe.

So far it appears that the 360 is doing as well as the Xbox in the US, slightly worse in Europe and substantially worse in Japan (the total number of 360s sold in Japan has still not passed the number of Xbox sold in the first week of release!) It's obviously still early, but that isn't a fantastic place to be IMO.