Main Menu

No October Art Comp?

Started by Paul Moore, 10 October, 2017, 07:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Corcoran

Andy Lambert

November now... :/

Can we have some kind of announcement soon please? :)

Dash Decent

Could we just make up a theme and have an unofficial art comp?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Woolly

We could have a vote on this thread - no 2nd or 3rd (or prizes), just pick a favorite.
Voting ends when someone remembers and takes the initiative.

It'd pass the time, if nothing else...  :|

Woolly

1st - James Newell - Residents of the 2000AD's community art's block. Nailed it.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Could there be licensing issues? We doodle away producing our Competition stuff, but Rebellion might be in the middle of some complicated negotiation with a third party interested in acquiring a 2000AD character license for a limited period. Understandably it might be best for those talks if the prospective party concentrates on official artwork produced by professional 2000AD artists and they're not distracted by any 'iffy' visions of 2000AD characters, something that might detract from its commercial saleability. Also, it does take a lot of time to produce the Comp, and there is expenditure for winners, a Graphic Novel, so you can see why the Art Comp might be in for a long hiatus.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Andy Lambert

I would be surprised if it's down to any licensing issues... surely we'd be told not to continue at all if that were the case, but instead the contributions to this thread alone were highlighted on the facebook page.

I believe it's down to the reduced interest in the competitions themselves. There has sadly been fewer submissions than there used to be, possibly because of other things getting in people's way preventing them from setting time aside to contribute anything. Look at the calendar sign-up - it's usually filled pretty quickly, with names overlapping on some days, but here we are on the 18th November with slots still to be taken.
I'm sure I've heard somewhere that for the competitions to continue, there had to be more interest in it. If it does start up again, in whatever format, there needs to be more contributions from us.

Dash Decent

I was going to post a theme but with under two weeks to December I think all the creative people are probably focusing on getting their Advent entries done.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Albion

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 18 November, 2017, 11:51:48 AM
I believe it's down to the reduced interest in the competitions themselves.

I'm thinking it's that too and I think that is because the forum has a lot less posts than it used to and it's slowly dying for various reasons. This forum used to be a fun, friendly place but over the last few years not so much. Reduced interest in the forum itself is the real reason in my opinion.
I visit a lot less than I used to and mostly just for the art competition.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Tjm86

It is a lot quieter to be sure but I would still say it is one of the more friendly places around.  Folks in these parts are far more accepting of alternative views and mistakes, more willing to engage with different perspectives critically and generally quite restrained in their language.  That said, there seem to be one or two red button topics that require mod intervention but they seem to be quite rare.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tjm86 on 18 November, 2017, 07:36:26 PM
It is a lot quieter to be sure but I would still say it is one of the more friendly places around.  Folks in these parts are far more accepting of alternative views and mistakes, more willing to engage with different perspectives critically and generally quite restrained in their language.  That said, there seem to be one or two red button topics that require mod intervention but they seem to be quite rare.

Yeah the Forum does seem to be grinding to a halt. I guess due to format and more open alternatives. Its a crying shame and I hope it hangs in there as I still find it an delight. All be it a less active one.

Funnily enough I saw a topic ripping into the forum over on Facebook the other day. It was quick to accuse it of being full of bullying, a lone voice (not sure who as they had their real name - sorry if you read this) stood up to defend the forum and as you can predict on Facebook the knives where out quick enough. It was all a bit unpleasent. Credit to the currently banned Frank who stepped up to defend the 'victim'. Especially since it was his banning that started the Facebook conversation.

A lot of people who claim not to care about the Forum fair care enough to rant about it! The way people go on on Facebook it quickly becomes clear that the moderation here is very helpful in keeping things more pleasent here regardless of the odd misstep.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 November, 2017, 05:42:11 PM
A lot of people who claim not to care about the Forum fair care enough to rant about it!

Yeah, that's continually vexing.

I will say there are grand plans but they're still under negotiation. Unfortunately yeah - it does involve peeling it away from the forums somewhat. Something I was initially reluctant to do when the concept was first mooted a few years ago - but it just doesn't seem to get the same level of enthusiastic footfall that it used to :( It's nowt to do with licensing!

I'll always defend this place - it's a supportive and creative community and outside in the vast social media wilderlands you do miss that human level of moderation. The sheer amount of unchecked bullying and nastiness that goes on under the average FB post or over on Twitter can be stunning :'(

So yes - again I say THE COMP WILL RETURN, I did plan to take it down for a bit not just October and refresh it at a SPECIFIC TIME which has not yet occurred. It'll be bigger, longer and cover more platforms but a prong of it will always rest in these gentle lands!

Woolly

CFM - Speaking as someone who rarely picks up a pencil these days, let alone enter an art comp, I hope you appreciate the high esteem I hold you in for helming the competitions for so long. I know I'm not the only one.
Wish I could have taken the time to enter more often.

You take whatever time is needed to revamp the comp, I aint complainin'!
And apologies to anyone if my 'entry' in the current thread gave the wrong vibe.

Andy Lambert

It seems very strange - compared to Facebook, this forum is positively zen-like! Sure, I've witnessed a few tiffs on here, but they really are nothing compared to the vitriol you see on a daily basis elsewhere. Makes me wonder why people aren't spending more time in more tolerable company here than in antagonistic corners of the internet...

It was the art competition that brought me to the forum in the first place, and it's still the main reason why I keep coming here. If it wasn't for the competition, I probably would be experiencing a creative block, not drawing or painting a thing. I probably wouldn't be on the art course I'm on now, and being told I've made an exceptionally strong start. I probably wouldn't have had my very first comic strip printed recently, and I probably wouldn't have gotten to know such wonderful, creative people with a shared love for 2000AD.

I'm sorry if I've come across a bit pushy about the lack of a contest or any information about it - I guess it goes to show how much it means to me and others. I should also have considered that things still need to be worked out and organised - I guess being told that the competition WOULD return in some format gave me the impression that things were already in place.
It seems odd but even though I'm drawing again, without the contest or the advent calendar, I feel a bit lost for inspiration to tackle anything else.
As long as an outlet exists to create some fan art, in whatever format, I want to be there contributing to it..! :)

IndigoPrime

I've moderated/administrated a number of forums of varying sizes since the early 2000s. There has been precisely one that's less hassle than this place – and that's a forum on a website about a relatively obscure indie band.

Yes, now and again we send people to the naughty step, but that happens very rarely, and only happens after debate among the admins and a warning to the person in question. Outright bans are vanishingly rare.