Main Menu

The Big Shot.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 25 July, 2002, 03:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

SPOILERS. Duh!

Sifting through the mail today, looking for the latest 'Doctor Who' C.D. and spotted the tell-tale package. Popped the kettle on and without looking at the case took the disc and popped it in the player. And then realised that it wasn't the due Who but an early Dredd.

In the latest adventure Dredd has to 'babysit' a visiting V.I.P. film director in order to protect him from a mysterious assassin

So, 'The Big Shot'. It's more overtly humourous than the previous Dredds and it works nicely. The comedy isn't too as to overshow the plot but works nicely alongside it. Dredd gets sidelined to the job of minding a pain in the ass, while Steel gets on with the investigating, the two plot threads meeting and being resolved in the climax.

Overall it works, it's perhaps the plot best suited to audio of the Dredds we've had so far, and the newsbeats are used to an interesting affect as well, with Enigma Smith being able to interact with events for once, so that element doesn't seem quite so bolted on.

There's also a plot twist at the end that gives the story a bit more depth than the story would have otherwise. It's a little soapy, but there are examples of similar things in Wagners Dredd (as recently as 'Sin City') although whether it would be possible for Steel to keep her secrets is another matter.

The disc ends by directly setting up a future adventure but in such a way as to leave this as a story that can be heard on it's own and presumably the later story can still stand alone. It's nice to see some links between C.D.s, it makes them feel more like a series rather than a sequence of individual stories.

Toby Longworth has settled into the role well and plays the humour straight - and there'd be nothing worse than Dredd knowing he was being funny. Claire Buckfield is getting better as Steel. Her role in the plot requires her to be less of a sidekick which helps greatly. Regina Reagan has got Enigma Smith down pat and Teresa Gallagher is more commanding as Hershey this time around.

Of the guest cast Peter Sowerbutts and Nick Briggs are every bit as annoying as they should be but are also convincing when the play takes on a darker tone. Good stuff.

It's also as well directed and produced as you'd expect. David Bishop has clearly learned from the earlier scripts and the next couple of discs look like they should be quite good. There's a Dredd from Jonathon Clements who wrote the ranges only certified hit 'Down to Earth', and then it's the story that has been set up in this C.D.

Overall I'm going to have to say that disc shows signs of promise for the range. It's an improvement on the first discs and worth a solid Seven out of Ten. Better script, nicely realised.

Sorry, I didn't mean to waffle on, but it gets it out of my system so I won't have to bore you all about it later!

davidbishop

Thanks for review - I glad you think it's an improvement. You have the advantagement over me, as I haven't heard the finished product yet and couldn't make it to the studio recording either.

The script was easily the tightest of the three I'd written to that point, and much less dependent on  continuity  for its story.

As you surmise, The Big Shot does act as a set-up for the forthcoming Get Karter. I'm glad to hear TBS works entirely in its own right. It should do, as the final scene was merely a cheeky after-thought on my part.

I've just finished the first draft of Get Karter. Let's just say the stomm hits the fan for Dredd and especially for Steel...

davidbishop

DavidXBrunt

Argh! I'm really embarassed now!

Devons Daddy

i just recieved this CD,
excellent, the whole thing is tightening up big time, the mega city newsflashes are irrelevant and as such excellent, not always anything to do with the story, the over feel is getting better and the actors just seem to be realy getting to grips with it all. though toby longworth as dredd now and then slips just a fraction.
i would say top stuff. overall anyone who has not yet gotten into this form of dredd, here is an excellent starting point. though i think they all have merit, but if yoru still a non believer get the SD one, then get the credit card ready , you will sign up for a full set.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

DavidXBrunt

Just out of interest Devon, did you subscribe, because they do an offer where if you subscribe you pay for 5 and get 6, so if you've payed for 5 you might want to e-mail them and check on this...

opaque

Sounds like these audio dramas are getting better and better!
Which is very good as I'm getting a years subscription for my birthday tommorow :)

Oddboy

Better set your phaser to stun.

DavidXBrunt

Devons Daddy

happy birthday
thats a great present.
I AM VERY BUSY!

NO 2000ad no life!

Devons Daddy

davidxbrant
thankyou for the tip on this, yes i subscribed through their website, i have not got the credit card bill yet, they have a very good system of only billing  after the cd is realeased.
 i also got a note saying i was still pending one cd, the titan one i think. which was coming out soon. as soon as i recieve i shall check on the billing.

in support of the company here. they have been excellent and proffesional in all angles to date. so i have no fears of being charged incorrectly , and if they do im sure an e mail would sort things out.
the reason for the posting was the free cd was a recent addtion to marketing stragety as such david was just informing me in case i had subscribed proir to this.
many thanks davidx.

to all reading this thread
the whole set up of big finish is professional.
i have received all my CDs well packaged labelled and detailed invoices. they have not filled my e mail with rubbish even though i said i wanted to be notified by e mail of new realeases.
this and many other factors are signs of a well run business.
i would happily reccomend there service to any considering it. taking into account i live in Singapore i think that goes along way to show there service is  very good. the CDs are excellent.
a couple of other regulars here have also noted there standard as well.

I AM VERY BUSY!

NO 2000ad no life!

John Caliber

Nice to see the audio dramas are getting better after the abysmal Wanted Dead or Alive. I'm afraid however that the first release put me off the rest of the Big Finish release for life. It's personally too expensive at ?10 a pop for me to risk buying these things without a preview of their contents first.

Link: http://www.jdrpg.com/jdss" target="_blank">THE JUDGE DREDD STREET SIM

Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

The Bard

I want to give a hearty 'here here!!' to that statement about Big Finish's professionalism and all round prime operation.
I'm Australian myself and I can say that their service is as good at i have ever seen on the international market.
Huzzah for Big Finish!

DavidXBrunt

I'm glad to hear you're getting your moneys worth. The next one should be a good one, yes, it is the Titan one.