Main Menu

Hello fellow Earthlets from reader since Prog 1

Started by Doomlord66, 21 January, 2024, 01:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doomlord66

Thought it was about time to say hi and introduce myself.
I started reading comics at an early age, encouraged by my parents who thought reading was good for me and kept me quiet for a while. To begin with I was reading the likes of Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee etc then moved on when I bought  Battle Picture Weekly no1.
I bought 2000ad issue 1 and remember loving it and rereading it over and over. Can't remember what happened to the space spinner. Loved the survival wallet and yes I stuck those stickers on until they fell off not long after and no longer sticky.
Regular reader until 1982 when I left school, we moved house and job hunting. I thought at that time I ought to be grown-up and stop reading comics. I left all my back issues of 2000ad and Battle behind in the outhouse. I decision I've regretted soooo much since.
In '84 saw Scream no1 in the newsagents, picked it up and made me realise how much I enjoyed and missed reading comics and started reading 2000ad again.
Started hunting down all the back issues which included trips to Books,Bits and Bob's in Kingston and London comic shops. I remember buying prog 1 for £10 from a tiny London comic shop tucked away down a back alley. (Anyone remember this place? 6 customers and it was packed lol)
Regular reader of 2k and the Meg from then on. Picked up many of the rebellion collected trades as well.
A couple of years we moved and downsized and I barely had room for the back issues and trades,so stopped getting the weekly and meg. Didn't help that I got all the 90 Judge Dredd Mega collection and was getting the 2000ad collection. Stopped this collection at 144 and now just cherry picking on that as I have the better Dan Dare hbks and Zenith slipcase.
Mainly read online now.
2000ad has been a big part of my life since reading that 1st issue at 10 years old.

broodblik

Welcome to the board. We might not always agree but we all on this forum has one thing in common and that is the love for 2000AD. I only read the prog/meg digitally since that is the only way I am able to get hold of it.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Le Fink

Hello! Welcome! Fave strips/creators?

And I'm expecting a certain end of year tradition to be mentioned any second now...
Are you there, Trooper?

Trooper McFad

Welcome to the chat. Join in and enjoy. If you've been lurking for a while then you know about the Xmas Advent.

All newbies (& Auld boarders) are welcome to contribute in December.

I like to encourage ev throughout the year to get involved 👍🏻😁
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

WhizzBang

Welcome Doomlord66! Doomlord was an excellent strip and I wonder why it hasn't been absorbed into Rebellion's portfolio as it is a strip that would fit very nicely next to 2000AD stuff.

nxylas

Quote from: WhizzBang on 21 January, 2024, 03:31:37 PMWelcome Doomlord66! Doomlord was an excellent strip and I wonder why it hasn't been absorbed into Rebellion's portfolio as it is a strip that would fit very nicely next to 2000AD stuff.
Wasn't there some legal kerfuffle with Dan Dare's rights holders claiming copyright on all the revived Eagle's characters, not just Dare?
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Colin YNWA

Doomlord66

Quote from: Le Fink on 21 January, 2024, 02:33:13 PMHello! Welcome! Fave strips/creators?

I'll do a top ten fave strips later on but for now -

Here's a top ten of fave artists in no particular order

Carlos Ezquerra
Joe Colquhoun
Mike Western
Eric Bradbury
Brian Bolland
Dave Gibbons
John Cooper
Ron Smith
Jose Casanovas
Cliff Robinson

And (maybe controversially) a list of 10 artists I don't particularly enjoy

Simon Harrison
Dean Ormston
Frazer Irving
Brendan McCarthy
Jim McCarthy
Siku
Mark Harrison
John Hinckleton
Clint Langley
Nick Percival

Rara Avis

BOOOOOOOOOOO!

You're still welcome though  :)

Quote from: Doomlord66 on 29 February, 2024, 11:35:36 PMAnd (maybe controversially) a list of 10 artists I don't particularly enjoy

Clint Langley
Nick Percival