Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Frank

Tjm86

Quote from: sheridan on 14 September, 2019, 12:34:52 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 04 September, 2019, 12:50:16 PM
All together now ... awwwwwww! How cute is this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-49577140

There was me thinking it was going to be a link to the wildlife photography article.

I was even more surprised that that did actually link to a wildlife photography article!   :o

Frank

Don't mess too much with your hair face or by the time you're forty, it will look eighty-five*

* Interesting documentary on nineties novelty song Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen), which wasn't based on a speech given to students by Kurt Vonnegut, even though everyone is doomed to believe that forever

Proudhuff

What's going to happen to bananas post Brexit?
DDT did a job on me

The Legendary Shark

They will be renamed bendyBorisnanas and restricted to royal consumption only. (They'll need something to replace the Epstein Diversion...)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Proudhuff

I'm shocked by how many threads I manage to kill with my inane comments.... 
DDT did a job on me

Link Prime

Quote from: Proudhuff on 16 October, 2019, 12:37:22 PM
I'm shocked by how many threads I manage to kill with my inane comments....

Apologies for ruining the perfect capstone to this godawful thread.

Proudhuff

I see what you done there...
DDT did a job on me

Funt Solo

In gaming news, Blizzard fail to recognize that they've modeled their logic on the totalitarian government of the novel 1984. The controversy (in case you missed it) is that they banned a competition player (Blitzchung) for saying a slogan about the Hong Kong situation. He said: "Liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our time".

But Blizzard's response is some of the finest double-think you could drum up. Try to get your head around it:

QuoteEvery Voice Matters, and we strongly encourage everyone in our community to share their viewpoints in the many places available to express themselves. However, the official broadcast needs to be about the tournament and to be a place where all are welcome.

I read this as "Because every voice matters, you must not make any statements." Or "Someone somewhere may be offended, so we can ban you for saying anything and then later say you broke the rules." Or "Your voice is important, but not here."
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Frank

Quote from: Funt Solo on 17 October, 2019, 06:48:20 PM
In gaming news, Blizzard fail to recognize that they've modeled their logic on the totalitarian government of the novel 1984. The controversy (in case you missed it) is that they banned a competition player (Blitzchung) for saying a slogan about the Hong Kong situation. He said: "Liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our time".

But Blizzard's response is some of the finest double-think you could drum up. Try to get your head around it:

QuoteEvery Voice Matters, and we strongly encourage everyone in our community to share their viewpoints in the many places available to express themselves. However, the official broadcast needs to be about the tournament and to be a place where all are welcome.

I read this as "Because every voice matters, you must not make any statements." Or "Someone somewhere may be offended, so we can ban you for saying anything and then later say you broke the rules." Or "Your voice is important, but not here."

The NBA are going through the same thing. There's just too much money in China to make pissing them off viable.

It's Xi Jinping's world; we just live in it.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Funt Solo on 17 October, 2019, 06:48:20 PMI read this as "Because every voice matters, you must not make any statements."

Which is not unreasonable - if they allow this, they must allow pro-china comments. Then pro-Trump and anti-Trump, then pretty soon you've got warring factions of people using the platform to shout about whatever issue they want to. Then the company has to start making judgements about which comments are acceptable and which aren't, and fending off accusations of polictical bias or censorship.

Better to say "look, it's a fucking game so leave your politics out of it, whatever they are"

Funt Solo

Quote from: Dandontdare on 17 October, 2019, 07:32:18 PM
Better to say "look, it's a fucking game so leave your politics out of it, whatever they are"

That I can agree with (to an extent: there's a side argument about what defines a political statement), but then why do they also claim their All Capped mantra of "Every Voice Matters"?  It's very much them wanting to have their cake (of presenting themselves as open to people's opinions) and eat it (by heavily censuring and censoring people's opinions).

The side argument is an interesting one. If someone says "killing all the peaceful protesters in Tienanmen Square was state-sanctioned murder", is that a political statement? Or just a statement of fact?

Given the Chinese state's behavior towards its own populace (totalitarian rule, brainwashing and encamping of an entire region, disappearing people who disagree with the state), is it political to call for reform? Or is it just a request for your human rights to be upheld? Are human rights just politics?

Ah well ... maybe that's not what anyone wants to be thinking about as they play their garish card game.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++