Main Menu

only in comics

Started by Floyd-the-k, 19 April, 2005, 10:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Floyd-the-k

I'm back in Aus now, so Roy and I can say "aieeeee".  It occurs to me (over a chorus of Roy's 'aieeee's) that I've never heard anyone say this outside of comics, where they say it all the time. And only superman has blue hair.

What else only happens in comics?

yours aieeeesayingly

Mike Carroll

Only in comics can someone have enough time to say stuff like "Great Scott! That madman's tied a bomb to the hostages! I've only got a fraction of a second to get past these thugs and disarm the bomb before it explodes killing all the hostages, including the Deputy Mayor, as well as the only girl I've ever loved, even though she thinks that I'm just a rival reporter when secretly I've been in love with her all this time, though I daren't tell her, for to do so would compromise my secret identity and put everyone I know at risk!"

Yours split-secondly,
Mike C

Art

I actually shout "Post message!" each time I click on the button, in the Dredd narrate-it-as-you-do-it style.

Funt Solo

lol@Art

Back in the day, when I used to be addicted to a chat room, and everyone said lol, after a few months I found myself saying lol instead of actually laughing.

As for aieeee, there's also aaaaaargh.  Have you ever tried reading a comic but only the sound effects?  Akira is good for that.  I'm sure only comics have explosions that go KA-RA-KTOOM-FWOOSH.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Capt.Zeep

Only cowardly Japanese and Germans go "Aieeee!".  Heroic Brits and square chinned yanks get to make the macho "Aaaaargh!" noise.

Tordelbach

One of my favourites is the ... pause in a thought bubble, something completely impossible to achieve in real life.  Most memorably, Captain America in 'Secret Wars II', who thinks the interrupted phrase: "My .. . God!".  Just try it yourself.

GordonR

You should read more Dan Brown novels.  Characters in those really do come out with lines like "The Illuminati have planted an anti-matter bomb in the Vatican!"

I'd be ashamed to write a line like that in even the corniest comic story.

Dudley

Man shoots gun at four different targets so fast that he appears to grow extra arms.  Man runs away so fast that he seems to grow extra legs.  
You'll never see that in real life (or at least in all the real-life gunfights and running-for-my-life situations I've been involved in).

Oddboy

Someone complained to me the other day that I shouldn't say "sigh", I should just sigh instead.

*sigh*
Better set your phaser to stun.

Wils

I'm not sure if this is just restricted to Byrne/Ordway Superman comics, but I've never heard anyone say "Eep!" in surprise in real life.

Funt Solo

And there's the "ee-ouk" of Chrysophrasia / Quinch fame.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Trout

Should I open the Broons/Oor Wullie can of worms?

Should I mention that Scots don't say those things?

Nah.

- Jings!

Tiplodocus

Before the advent of "Cosmetic Surgery Live", I would have said that you don't see women who have breasts bigger than their heads anywhere other than in comics but, sadly (yes, really, sadly), that is no longer true.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

longmanshort

"I'd be ashamed to write a line like that in even the corniest comic story"

longmanshort starts leafing through his Rennie back catalogue ... all of it ...

;)
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Adrian Bamforth

Only in comics (and bad films) do people say: "What the.....?)

ADE