Main Menu

Aberdeen weekender!

Started by Colin MacNeil, 27 March, 2011, 12:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin MacNeil

Hi ho, chaps!
I thought I'd let forum members know that I'm doing a couple of events on Sat 2nd and Sun 3rd of April in Aberdeen. I'll be appearing at Asylum Books and Comics in Aberdeen on the Sunday. Just the usual sort of thing, signing, sketching, selling artwork. It'll be from midday onwards, finishing around 5/6 pm.

On the Saturday, I'll be appearing at The Gordon Highlanders Museum in Aberdeen. I've been working on a wee project for them for the last few months and this is it's launch. They asked me to draw a short comic about the history of the Gordon Highlanders for kids. The hero of the comic is a character called "Bydandy", who is a young stag who has dreams of playing the bagpipes like his father, "Pipe Major Dadandy". As I said the comic is for kids, so is quite different to what people might recognise as my usual styles.
Anyhoo, the comic will be given away free at the museum (Viewfield Road, Aberdeen. Just google it) on the Saturday (maybe the Sunday as well, but I can't remember. I'll post again when I know) and I'll be there to sign them. On Saturday and Sunday, admission for kids will be free (adults still have to pay), so might be a cheap day, out as it were, for those who have kids. I'll be there pretty much all day, 10am onwards.
There'll be colour and paint sessions featuring Bydandy for the younger kids, get the chance to get up close to uniforms and weapons used by the Gordon Highlanders in World War One for the older kids and an old time fire engine outside for the kids that never grow up. A 1915 vintage engine! They also have an excellent cafe there too, for resting the legs after an afternoon of fun. :)

That's it for now, hope to see some of you from the North East at some point over the weekend. If you don't manage to make it please do and try and go to the museum at some later time. It's a great wee museum and well worth a look and well worth supporting too.

Cheers

Colin

COMMANDO FORCES

If you are into history but not necessarily military history I would recommend going to this. One of the best places to learn history is from the military, due to the amount of records kept in the Regimental archives.
Pity about the distance as I would have enjoyed having a look around and who would have thought that a Regiment would make it a stipulation that you had to be called Gordon to join!

Colin MacNeil

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 28 March, 2011, 07:43:24 PM
Pity about the distance as I would have enjoyed having a look around and who would have thought that a Regiment would make it a stipulation that you had to be called Gordon to join!
The great thing is that the museum's there all the time, so if anybody finds themselves in Aberdeen go and have a nosey. It's a great wee museum, well laid out and informative about the achievements of the men of the North East. They really do a good job in promoting the regiment and it's history. In fact most Tuesdays, I think, you can find one or two WW2 veterans there to chat to about the Gordons and their experiences. One of the best regimental museums I've ever been to. (and I've been to quite a few.)

Well it is better than being in the Queen's Own Highlanders!!!  :o (kidding!)  :D