Main Menu

2K Index Update

Started by Funt Solo, 19 October, 2006, 05:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

It's been a while since I updated this, so, uhm, I did:

http://www.amenable.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/2Ksite/index.html" target="_blank">Yet Another 2K Index Site

[opens in new window]
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Art

Random 2K programming question that will help me put together something that might be a bit fun: Can anyone figure out a quick algorithm for calculating the current Prog Number, assuming that we get a "Prog 200x" every year.

Funt Solo

([current year] - 1999) + [current prog number] = answer

(2006 - 1999) + 1510 = answer

(7) + 1510 = 1517

QED
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

nofuture

Quality site, really nice cover images

Funt Solo

*ahem* - yes, those cover images, of course, taken from this site.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

COMMANDO FORCES

I am impressed with your dedication funt solo.

Funt Solo

Eek - nearly a year since I updated - so I did:

http://www.amenable.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/2Ksite/index.html">Yet Another 2K Index Site, 2007

---

I've offered up a final year project to my students - to create a database capable of holding the data for any comic - both structure and content, plus an interface for data input.

Am suggesting 2000AD as an example publication. (Spreading the word!)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

I, Cosh

Holy shit! I breifly tried writing a schema that could incorporate Strips, series, stories, books, episode titles, etc and gave up in gibbering frustration after one evening.

Good luck to them,
We never really die.

Funt Solo

Yeah - it's pretty complicated stuff - perfect for a final year Honours project.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Peter Wolf

I just had a look at this website.I remember seeing this a couple of years ago but i obviously didnt know it was yours.It is very good and far far better than anything on the 2000ad website if you need to find out something.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Funt Solo

::"far far better than anything on the 2000ad website"

No, no it isn't.  

(Example: http://www.2000adonline.com/index.php3?zone=covers&page=artist&choice=ARTHURR&Comic=2000ad">my one can't do this.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Peter Wolf

Yep yours lacks any visuals but yours combined with touched by the hand of tharg makes for me a better index plus the other links like 2000ad review.

There are no indexes for 2000ad extreme editions or best of 2000ad but you probably havent got that far yet.I find it a bit weird that on the 2000ad website you dont get a short synopsis on what a particular strip is about.Yet touched by the hand of tharg does although they dont cover everything that well.Also i found it generally simpler to navigate through it.So rather than saying "its better" i just prefer it myself.

Ever soo slightly off topic but :

As a pointer and what i would like to see more visuals or arwork  of the strip i am looking up on the 2000ad website . There does seem to be a general lack of this unless you are talking popular characters and then you mostly get cover scans.

What would really be the icing on the cake would be either an online digital archive of each page of each strip that has featured in 2000ad up to at least prog 500.No doubt a lot of it has been reprinted but like the threads that are going on at the moment when you are searching for a particular page then you could look it up online here.Obviously Logan is providing a valueable service for us all but having it available online would be perfect.Yes i have a digital archive [up to prog 250 but the quality is not good as it is scanned from progs and also it quits unexpectedly or the software [comical ] quits.Otherwise you have to scan yourself.Its a bit of a drag really.

I dont know if rebellion are worried about copyright etc [printing off whole strips]but since it is digital scans a printed scan isnt really readable quality in detail because the image is pixilated.Or its not as good as the non digital printed page anyway.

Or alternativly why couldnt Rebellion sell a digital archive of early progs? I am sure everyone here would like one.I know i do.

IndigoPrime

"What would really be the icing on the cake would be either an online digital archive of each page of each strip that has featured in 2000ad up to at least prog 500."

That'd be a totally fantastic way for Rebellion to utterly destroy its graphic novel line.

Some of your other points are good ones, though; that said, a lot of them were raised way back when I did the *previous* version of the site's design. The problem, as ever, to implementation was budgets and manpowerâ??not enough of either.

Peter Wolf

I didnt mean to pick holes in your web design by the way and i didnt know it was yours anyway.Obviously i know this website has its good points as well and plenty of them.My only real criticism was the one i have already posted.Its always resouces and budgets that get in the way of realising a project to its fullest potential and you cant cut corners on certain things rather you work with the budget that you have and do what you can.

I am not sure that producing a digital archive would kill off graphic novel lines as i think of it more as a quick reference source instead of something that you sit and read.I would choose a graphic novel anytime as the print is far far better.So i suppose this is debatable the would an archive kill off graphic novels that are in print arguement.

Mine is just an outsiders view of things with no inner knowledge of how things are done.

Peter.