Main Menu

Day of Chaos 2: a.Covid-19 thread.

Started by TordelBack, 05 March, 2020, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: paddykafka on 01 April, 2020, 05:13:02 PM
The icing on the cake will be any one of a number of Krzystof Penderecki CD's that, to their great misfortune, I am lucky to have and are perfect for moments such as this. I'm thinking of starting with Utrenja and after that, well, who knows.
Never heard of him, but (and I hope this isn't news to you) I see he died a few days ago.

paddykafka

Quote from: Professor Bear on 01 April, 2020, 06:04:28 PM
Ironically, they'll probably call the cops on you.

Take it from me, Professor, the very last people that these particular idiots will be calling are the police.

(Considering that every one of them has, at some stage or another, done time in various prisons, their attitude towards representatives of the Law are, to say the least, somewhat hostile).

Also, the bloke in question, is very much aware of the utter contempt that I have with regard to his partner. I was the one who stood by him and took his side on the last occasion that she physically assaulted him. But, as is sadly so common in cases of domestic abuse, he later made excuses for her behaviour and chose to take her back into his life. I made it absolutely and abundantly clear to him that I never wished to be in her company again or have anything to do with her whatsoever. And I have, and will continue to keep to that vow.

As I learned from my own bitter experiences of a couple of former partners- albeit in my case, they were of verbal and emotional abuse and controlling behaviour - there are certain people like her that are utterly incapable of change for the better.

At the end of the day, he is so terrified of being alone and accepting the fact that, between his advanced age, economic circumstances and his own personal issues, this is likely to be his lot-in-life going forward, he will forgive her many horrible personal flaws. And the worst of it all is that she herself was apparently the victim of childhood abuse. Which in my view, makes what she has done even more unforgiveable.

And I speak as someone with experience in that area myself. In my case, that abuse manifested itself in the physical fashion. If you have been through that kind of horror or anything like it - as I have - then it is surely incumbent on you to do all that you can, to avoid perpetuating that kind of repulsive behaviour upon anyone else. At least that is the way that I choose to so from a moral point of view.

In any event, he has made his bed and can lie in it. Any sympathy I might have had for him has long since evaporated.

Richard

I'm sorry to hear about all this, Paddykafka, and I wish I had a helpful solution to suggest.

On a completely and totally unrelated subject, does anyone know what a flock of crows is properly called?

paddykafka

Quote from: sheridan on 01 April, 2020, 06:56:27 PM
Quote from: paddykafka on 01 April, 2020, 05:13:02 PM
The icing on the cake will be any one of a number of Krzystof Penderecki CD's that, to their great misfortune, I am lucky to have and are perfect for moments such as this. I'm thinking of starting with Utrenja and after that, well, who knows.
Never heard of him, but (and I hope this isn't news to you) I see he died a few days ago.

Ah, no. So sorry to hear of that. I will post something else at a later time in the RIP section. Thanks for letting me know, Sheridan.

PS: Just to clarify, the physical abuse that I mentioned in the previous post happened in childhood. Apologies for any confusion.

Tjm86

Quote from: Richard on 01 April, 2020, 07:09:21 PM
... does anyone know what a flock of crows is properly called?

I thought it was a "murder of crows", no?

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Tjm86
link=topic=46306.msg
1025200#msg1025200
date=1585766517

Quote from: Richard
link=topic=46306.msg
1025197#msg1025197
date=1585764561

... does anyone know what a flock of crows is properly
called?

Not if there's just caws...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Doctor Alt 8

My landlord is currently trapped in India ....won't be able to return to the UK until at least 18th of April due to lock-down. Hope nothing serious happens to the property because there will be no one to fix it.

On a less serious note... THIS happened to me...

An odd thing happened to me Saturday.I went to do the large weekly shop and I was walking to take my rightful place at the end of the quee which was reaching past the Train station.

A gentleman sees me walk past pushing a blue trolley given to me by my Belgium friend and he INSISTED that I take a place in front of him in the quee (At an appropriate distance of course)

I thanked him prefusly. friend

A few moment later another gentleman three places in front of me offered HIS place in front of the quee...

I thanked That man.

A couple of minutes later a security officer comes passed on a patrol (To ensue all those in the quee are keeping their distance from each other) He insists on separating me out and letting me into the store in front of everyone else in the quee.

As I was talking to mother to tell her what was & wasn't available and to ask if she wanted substitutes the  first man who offered his place came up to me and said that he hoped that I hadn't been waiting long as I was clearly a priority (???)

I did and said nothing to warrent this favorable treatment and I think I need plastic surgery because they clearly thought that I was in my dotage....

I can only thing that because I have to bend to hold onto the trolley as the handles are about 2 inches too short for comfort, people must of mistaken my bend for a aged stoop...

Mother thought that this was hilarious and Adrian said that I should play up to this to get this treatment again...

Richard

Quote from: Tjm86 on 01 April, 2020, 07:41:57 PM
Quote from: Richard on 01 April, 2020, 07:09:21 PM
... does anyone know what a flock of crows is properly called?

So it is. A murder. Quite right.

On a completely and totally unrelated subject, I hope Paddykafka's troubles come to an end soon.

von Boom

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 01 April, 2020, 07:56:20 PM
link=topic=46306.msg
1025200#msg1025200
date=1585766517

link=topic=46306.msg
1025197#msg1025197
date=1585764561

called?

You monster. ;)

sheridan

Quote from: von Boom on 02 April, 2020, 12:24:17 AM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 01 April, 2020, 07:56:20 PM
link=topic=46306.msg
1025200#msg1025200
date=1585766517

link=topic=46306.msg
1025197#msg1025197
date=1585764561

called?

You monster. ;)

If there's only two crows then it's attempted murder.

strontium71

Of course if they're just imitating a bloke guffawing , it's man's laughter..
...because I hate you.

Tjm86

... and once again a perfectly serious thread has morphed into the "Squaxx telling jokes" thread.  Can people never stay on topic?

[I know, that's another thread again ....]

TordelBack

Quote from: strontium71 on 02 April, 2020, 10:55:54 AM
Of course if they're just imitating a bloke guffawing , it's man's laughter..

If you knew how long I spent trying to come up with a manslaughter-related pun for a corvid- 19 minutes wasted.

The Legendary Shark

Good job you didn't - it might have gone viral.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: Tjm86 on 02 April, 2020, 11:53:14 AM
... and once again a perfectly serious thread has morphed into the "Squaxx telling jokes" thread.  Can people never stay on topic?

[I know, that's another thread again ....]

Better than the alternative, speaking of which...

DUP gotta DUP.