Main Menu

PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE NEW STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 October, 2017, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Rara Avis on 23 February, 2019, 07:45:45 PM
The character of Tilly gets worse and worse - they didn't have the dialogue for a happy fat character and a cute ditsy character so they just merged them in her.

You'll have to help me out here because this sentence reads like you are criticizing the writers for making Tilly more than two dimensional.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Rara Avis

I think her character is best described as two lazy stereotypes merged together neither of which have any great depth.

Tiplodocus

That's a shame you see her that way.

For me she's also working as a contrast to the angst complexities of Burnham and the straight arrow Federationism of Pike. And plays well (and funny) against both.

The Legendary Shark

I think the character of Tilly is the least of this programme's problems. I'm finding S2 of The Orville far more entertaining all 'round - especially as they seem to have dialled back the wacky humour a notch or two.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

broodblik

I also like Orville and it feels like S2 of Discovery is missing something (second season blues maybe ?)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JamesC

Episode 6 was much better than 5. It still doesn't feel very Trek though. I was genuinely surprised by how little thought they gave to [spoiler]forcing a metamorphosis on an entire population, forever changing the culture of two sentient species.[/spoiler] At least Tilly wasn't in it much (but her line about galaxy pie still made me want to punch someone).

Robin Low

Quote from: JamesC on 25 February, 2019, 02:39:11 PM
Episode 6 was much better than 5. It still doesn't feel very Trek though. I was genuinely surprised by how little thought they gave to [spoiler]forcing a metamorphosis on an entire population, forever changing the culture of two sentient species.[/spoiler] At least Tilly wasn't in it much (but her line about galaxy pie still made me want to punch someone).

Funny thing is, I'm finding it more and more Trekky all the time. In this case, it felt a bit like the original series - I think Kirk would have made exactly the same call.

I hope this isn't the end of this particular storyline, though. The problem with most Trek stories is that we don't get to see consequences very often, and it would be nice to see what happens next. Especially as we have some interesting new aliens.

Regards,

Robin

JamesC

Quote from: Robin Low on 25 February, 2019, 06:49:56 PM

Funny thing is, I'm finding it more and more Trekky all the time. In this case, it felt a bit like the original series - I think Kirk would have made exactly the same call.

I hope this isn't the end of this particular storyline, though. The problem with most Trek stories is that we don't get to see consequences very often, and it would be nice to see what happens next. Especially as we have some interesting new aliens.

Regards,

Robin

I know what you mean about Kirk.
I can kind of see the scene playing in my head if the original crew were in the same position. I think there'd be more to commincate to the audience that the decision was kind of a big deal.

Tiplodocus

I really liked that episode. And yes, can imagine Kirk and co. resolving in exactly the same manner. Well maybe with less technobabble. But really good stuff.

Robin Low

Quote from: JamesC on 25 February, 2019, 07:34:45 PMI know what you mean about Kirk.
I can kind of see the scene playing in my head if the original crew were in the same position. I think there'd be more to commincate to the audience that the decision was kind of a big deal.

You're probably right about that. I notice there here are times - like the previous episode - when the characters stand around and yack when they should be doing something in a hurry, and times like this when they just get on with it. I'm guessing it's down to different writers, different directors, and what they thing makes for a more dramatic story or scene.

I am surprised by my increasing liking of the series, even though a number of my reservations still stand. I still think it would make a better post-Nemesis series and I'd still like to have seen the Axanar version of the Human/Klingon war, but I feel they're genuinely trying to appeal to long-terms fans as well as a new generation (no pun intended).

Regards,

Robin

Funt Solo

I think I've de-Trekked, unfortunately.  It's just so Trek-lite.  Like the American Office, but in space with no humor.  I can see the strings.  They did a whole episode where the gill-faced tree-man was definitely going to die - he had this big death scene where his best friend was going to euthanize him (with only one minute's warning, which isn't very friendly or scientific) and then at the very moment of death it turned out that actually he was just a fucking hypochondriac and there was nothing wrong with him at all.  Bah!

And the Spock-dangle is just so annoying.  When he showed up sometimes in Next Gen it was a real treat, but to have this "He's just around the corner!  Keep watching - you might get some Spock!" wrenches me out of the world of Star Trek and into the world of television producers trying to make me keep watching their show about space.  It's like Lost ultimately being a bunch of shit where none of the dangles actually resolve into anything but air time, except this is worse because I have an emotional connection to Star Trek.

I tried.  I hope everyone else remains pleasantly surprised.  (Don't get me started on The Orville.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Rara Avis

I liked her at the start but since the actress has shown her comic chops it seems more and more of her character centres around being awkwardly funny. I initially liked her but I don't like the way the writers have developed her character so far.

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 25 February, 2019, 10:10:21 AM
That's a shame you see her that way.

For me she's also working as a contrast to the angst complexities of Burnham and the straight arrow Federationism of Pike. And plays well (and funny) against both.

Rara Avis

Maybe you just didn't understand that [spoiler]one of the crew is from that planet so it's like ok.[/spoiler] This show is crazy [spoiler]they leave that human colony behind because of General Order 1 but then they go and do this[/spoiler]

Tiplodocus

Man you lot are harsh.

You should be in the "Grim Rumours" thread.

This thread is for people who were "Pleasantly surprised".

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]