Main Menu

PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE NEW STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 October, 2017, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

I was pleasantly surprised it wasn't Star Trek Enterprise.

I was mostly on here because this thread had inspired me to give the show a decent chance - like I wanted to be pleasantly surprised but it didn't work.  (It's a bit weird if each thread topic has to be separated into negative and positive lands - imagine trying to pull that off in the political thread.  Only positive messages about Brexit allowed here!)

Given that I've pretty much given up on new Star Trek, I should probably bow out of the thread where people discuss it, thought.  Keep on trekking!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JamesC

I was pleasantly surprised by series one. Much less so with series two.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Funt Solo on 26 February, 2019, 11:28:15 PM
I was pleasantly surprised it wasn't Star Trek Enterprise.

I was mostly on here because this thread had inspired me to give the show a decent chance - like I wanted to be pleasantly surprised but it didn't work.  (It's a bit weird if each thread topic has to be separated into negative and positive lands - imagine trying to pull that off in the political thread.  Only positive messages about Brexit allowed here!)

Given that I've pretty much given up on new Star Trek, I should probably bow out of the thread where people discuss it, thought.  Keep on trekking!

I have no idea what point you're making here — I've never tried to police negative posts about the series and I don't think anyone else has (although I think I may have complained about lengthy Orville discussions at one point).

I wasn't expecting this thread to run to thirty-odd pages and into the second season — it exists literally for the sole reason that the "Grim Rumours" thread felt like an odd place to discuss the fact that the series seemed to be a lot better than advance word had suggested. The title was a supposedly amusing reflection of that, down to mirroring the use of caps. I expected the thread to last half a dozen posts.

If someone wanted to start a "POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE OPINIONS ARE WELCOME ON THIS STAR TREK: DISCOVERY THREAD" thread and abandon this one, or if a passing mod feels like changing the title of this thread, I'm fine with that!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

And I was only making a joke, admittedly very slight, about the two old threads. I didn't really want to send people off elsewhere to comment. I should have used an emoji. ;)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Theblazeuk

Starfleet being entirely inconsistent about the prime directive?

Sounds like a Trek show to me! (And I thought the human colony was rubbish reasoning too. But in this case perhaps because the baddie aliens had warp technology, and were just keeping the slave species in the dark... The whole idea of starfleet sitting by with predator and prey species was always going to lead to trouble I suppose)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 27 February, 2019, 10:47:34 AM
And I was only making a joke, admittedly very slight, about the two old threads.

No, look, I've taken umbrage now. Please have the decency to defend your position in the most unreasonable fashion imaginable so we can have a good, old-fashioned internet message board barney.

Funt Solo

Oops.  My post was meant in a light-hearted manner. I didn't get that Tordelback was being so jokey but then I live in the US so subtlety has become difficult to comprehend.

Why has Spock become younger in the far future of Picard's Federation, though? And is that original-Pike's great grandson? Etc.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Funt Solo on 27 February, 2019, 02:08:57 PM
Oops.  My post was meant in a light-hearted manner.

Stop that. Will nobody have an internet fight with me? On a Star Trek thread?!

You've all changed, man. I don't know who you are any more.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 February, 2019, 07:13:11 AM
I've never tried to police negative posts about the series

Actually, it turns out I did. My apologies for both the misplaced snark to Funt specifically, and in general for being a dick. Sorry!

JamesC

I've just started watching Deep Space Nine - I've never really bothered with it before (other than the odd episode here and there) but am now watching it through in order.
Is the doctor supposed to come across as a sex pest?

Link Prime

Quote from: JamesC on 01 March, 2019, 08:47:22 AM
Is the doctor supposed to come across as a sex pest?

It was the 90's, baby.

DS9 still holds the fondest memories for me - wonderful cast and arcs.
Would love to do a complete re-watch at some stage.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 26 February, 2019, 11:24:21 PM

Time for Trexit?

Yeah - back in 2001.

The Legendary Shark

Enterprise is still my favourite Trek but I have a great fondness for Deep Space Nine as it has some wonderful characters, arcs and episodes. The one where Sisko falsifies evidence to draw the Romulans into the Dominion war is one of my favourite Trek episodes of all time.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

broodblik

Deep Space Nine was my favorite Trekkie show as well.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Legendary Shark

The latest two episodes of The Orville.

Wow.

Are you watching, Discovery? That's how you do Star Trek!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]