Main Menu

PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE NEW STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 October, 2017, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 March, 2019, 11:08:59 PM
Surely the obvious reason the Red Angel chose Spock is [spoiler]because the Red Angel is Spock from the future...?[/spoiler]

I find it hard to disagree with your logic, but logic is only the beginning of wisdom.

I frankly don't care how 'faithful' this is, or how much it feels like TOS or TNG - every version ha been different, they're all very much of their time, but always try to be the best TV scifi that can be made at that time, all tied together in a shared universe. I don't care about retconning when its done with love and attention to detail - I like for example the way this Spock acts like the very first Spock we saw, rather than later Spock. Basically though, it's just a rollicking good show, I'm loving it.

Another WTF narrative moment though, after the "let's chat leisurely through the two minute emergency" episode, [spoiler]I really like the security chief, the way she was lurking and seemed to have her sussed, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of her, so when she had her breathing thingy ripped off I'm thinking is she dead? can she be saved? oh no, she looks dead! However nobody even checked on her or even mentioned her ... but oh look, now it's all over, she' recovered from the unconsciousness, retrieved her breather and is fine - yeah, thanks guys[/spoiler]

JamesC

I think it was the security chief who actually opened the air lock.

broodblik

Again another very good episode. I agree with Dandontdare on how the security chief was handled. I found it quite peculiar that nobody cared what happened to her. So when something happens to one of the lead characters of the show it becomes a big cry-fest nobody gives damn about the rest.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tiplodocus

Yeah, that was great stuff. The correct balance of people behaving like they actually inhabit a Star Trek universe but with modern production values and story telling. Except for the lens flare again. And the issue of not caring for Security Chief just so they can pull off the [spoiler]somebody else pulls trigger while hero is agonising over decision[/spoiler]

Jim's theory is a good one only [spoiler]where does the "It was you that was chosen, Michael" fit in? [/spoiler]
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mardroid

[spoiler]I'm not convinced that the Red Angel is future Spock, because he stated that the mind he melded with was human. That being said, since he also stated that the Red Angel had some kind of psi-dampener* that limited the telepathy, maybe a half-human mind would be interpreted as human, particularly as older Spock had mellowed somewhat in his attitude towards logic. (Curiously, young Spock and old Spock seem to be Spock at his most human, albeit for different reasons.)

I think the Red Angel more likely to be future Michael, although that might be too obvious.[/spoiler]

I enjoyed the episode a lot, although I didn't pick up on the fact it was the [spoiler]security lady who spaced cyborg lady.** That makes more since it puzzled me that Michael would activate the mechanism while in mid sentence and look so surprised.[/spoiler] Divvy me...

*Probably not the actual term, but I think you understand  what I mean.
** I need to sort out my memory, working out memorising names better.

Theblazeuk

For the first time though I got the ill-feeling towards Tilly.

wedgeski

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 20 March, 2019, 10:58:24 AM
I don't get it. It's refreshing that someone aboard a starship is as absolutely overjoyed to be there as any one of us would be.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: wedgeski on 20 March, 2019, 11:47:20 AM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 20 March, 2019, 10:58:24 AM
I don't get it. It's refreshing that someone aboard a starship is as absolutely overjoyed to be there as any one of us would be.

Nah, she had one specific moment where even I (who doesn't mind the character at all) found her profoundly annoying. To be fair, I think we were supposed to because even Pike snaps at her.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Krakajac

Would like to see a nod of the head to 'Toast of London'...

TYLER (on the intercom): "Captain Pike, it's Ash Tyler...can you hear me?"

PIKE: "Yes...I can hear you Ash Tyler."

Theblazeuk

MIND BLOWN

(And Yes that is exactly what I was referring to Jim)

Jim_Campbell

So, I was [spoiler]wrong about the Red Angel.[/spoiler]

An oddly frustrating episode — it felt very much like an entire additional episode had been cut from the running order as they jump straight from having no clue what was going on, to [spoiler]knowing who the Red Angel is (ostensibly) and finding out what the mysterious Project Daedalus is despite having literally only just learned of its existence[/spoiler].

Add on top of that the fact that the 'trap' makes no sense whatsoever because [spoiler]they don't know that the Angel isn't Burnham — if it was, then she would remember coming up with and discussing the plan and would know that she isn't going to die, because she's not dead.[/spoiler]

So, yeah... not pleasantly surprised by this one.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

blackmocco

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 March, 2019, 10:39:31 PM
So, I was [spoiler]wrong about the Red Angel.[/spoiler]

An oddly frustrating episode — it felt very much like an entire additional episode had been cut from the running order as they jump straight from having no clue what was going on, to [spoiler]knowing who the Red Angel is (ostensibly) and finding out what the mysterious Project Daedalus is despite having literally only just learned of its existence[/spoiler].

Add on top of that the fact that the 'trap' makes no sense whatsoever because [spoiler]they don't know that the Angel isn't Burnham — if it was, then she would remember coming up with and discussing the plan and would know that she isn't going to die, because she's not dead.[/spoiler]

So, yeah... not pleasantly surprised by this one.

Yeah, that one was a dud. Don't think I'm enjoying this season as much as the last, despite the steering back to more "recognizable" Trek. For all its flaws, at least Season 1 was trying to tread new ground. This one's just a hot mess.

I understand Burnham is the main character the show focuses on but her being the absolute center of quite literally EVERYthing potentially cataclysmic in the universe (twice now, if we're counting) is getting a little tiresome.

Also, while I'm all for dumping canon in favor of good story and character, and have given Discovery a lot of leeway, now it turns out Section 31 not only has time travel figured out but also technology to travel anywhere in the universe in a jiffy. It's a bit much, basically.

Ehh. Get off my lawn.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Tiplodocus

Lots of basil, character moments and plot progression in this one (and some unexpected laughs) but very exciting and well done tension at the end. Even though they didn't need to make the predicament quite so horrible.

Tiplodocus

IAMTHESYSTEM

I've now seen ST Discovery season 1 as someone bought it for me on DVD. Well, I viewed the first three episodes. I Loved it. It's fantastic, and I certainly feel its Star Trekky enough, the production values are stunning for TV. Micheal Burnham is magnificent, but it's creepy Captain Lorca who's got my attention. I know there 's some reference about clandestine operations online so I'm trying to avoid all spoilers!

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla