Main Menu

V for Vendetta will be set in...

Started by Noisybast, 19 February, 2005, 02:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noisybast

...England! Hurrah!

That's what SuperheroHype is saying anyway.  English actor James Purefoy has apparently been cast as V in the big screen adaptation of one of my favourite Alan Moore books.

Not sure how good an actor Purefoy is - anyone seen him in anything?

Link: http://www.aintitcool.com/secretdisplay.cgi?id=19443" target="_blank">http://www.aintitcool.com/secretdisplay.cgi?id=19443

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Noisybast

Marbles

I just received my copy of the latest issue (#12)of the excellent fanzine 'Eagle Flies Again'. It features a tribute (on the occasion of his 80th birthday)to Mike Western, artist of 'Darkies Mob' (recently re-run in the Megazine).
It includes letters of tribute from David Bishop, Dave Gibbons, David Lloyd & Bryan Talbot amongst others.

Well worth getting a copy in my humble opinion, ?2 an issue. NB. the previous issue (#11) has interviews with John Wagner & Dan Abnett....

email :- eaglefliesagain@hotmail.com
Remember - dry hair is for squids

irving9000

thanks for that i had no idea there was definitely a film on the way. quite excited now, passing it on to other excitable v for vendetta fans...

IndigoPrime

Last I heard was that it was set in an England where Germany won WW2 and turned the UK into a totalitarian state (which rather missed the point about the UK doing it to itself, but still...) The write-up on that site sounds a whole lot better.

Noisybast

The book's set in an alternative 80's Britain, following a small-scale nuclear war. An extreme right-wing government has, as you say, turned the UK into a totalitarian state.

The combination of the Wachowskis directing and Natalie Portman starring as Evey led to speculation that the film would be transposed to the US a la Constantine.

This latest news seems to suggest that, thankfully, it's stopping in the UK.

thrillpowerseeker

they'll find another way to bugger it up..the nazi theme sounds like it..

paulvonscott

Well, Bin Laden must be executive producer, because I doubt there's any way this would have been set in England before the Trade Towers blew up.  But thankfully now they would rather blow up our democratic symbols.

I know that's where the story is set in the book, but I just see it as another opportunity to attack and demonise Britain (OK, England, they just love Scotland, and have never heard of Wales, unless it's the town where Catherine Zeta comes from).  

Mel Gibson is probably going to come on board at some point as well and it'll be renamed Lethal Weapon 5 - Time to kill some limeys.

It should have been made by the BBC.  Years ago.  Still, let's hope the Wuh brothers have remembered how to make a decent movie.  And if it turns out it was all meant to be a trilogy, don't watch the last two epsidoes.

Other than that, yeah, might be okay!

;)

Byron Virgo

"Still, let's hope the Wuh brothers have remembered how to make a decent movie."

They've made one, have they?

paulvonscott

I thought Matrix was fun, perfectly enjoyable movie.

Byron Virgo

...well, it's an opinion, I suppose...

Krustabi