Main Menu

Deathwatch

Started by Last of the V8's, 07 December, 2002, 03:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last of the V8's

Just seen the new ''horror'' film Deathwatch, witch after a superb trailer wasn't very good atall. Certainly not scary, though did have some interesting ideas in there somewhere.
Best of which was the barbed wire that came to life and entrapped it's victims.
Shades of Rouge Troopers Bio-wire methinks. Ripoff or not?

paulvonscott

A shame skank, you've confirmed what I feared.  I was really hoping it wasn't going to be as pants as the reviews indicated.  May watch it anyway, but... bleurgh.

Smiley

Any new Brit horror movies are good news. But you just know that if you look forward to them, they'll end up disappointing. So I've steered clear of opinions on Deathwatch and 28 Days Later until I can see them meself. I doubt I'd have watched Dog Soldiers (great fun) if I'd listened to the slagging it got.

Last of the V8's

Any new Brit horror scores in my book, but with such promising ideas they always seem to fall flat, apart from Dog Soldiers which was great. 28 days sucked big time which was a real shame.

Link: I

Queen Firey-Bou

is deathwatch the one where the guy has a camera in his eyes & some really creepy fundamental sci0fi concepts, but somehow when i watched it 1000 years ago i kept falling asleep?

2000AD Online

isn't that not doomwatch or is my memory failing

GordonR

It was Deathwatch, directed by Bertrand Tavernier, and starring Harvey Keitel.  

Keitel has a camera inserted into his head, to allow him to secretly film the last dying days of a termninally-ill woman, for a TV show called Death Watch.  (I think it's set in a future where people rarely die, hence a morbid fascination with the TV-viewing public for watching people who actually are dying.)

It was filmed mostly in and around Glasgow.  Apparently Tavernier wanted a really bleak and depressing look to the film, and so....

Queen Firey-Bou

cheers Gordon, was that really keitel, sheesh, going back 20 years or so. so thats not the film theyre on about? well it stuck with us, cos we dubbed reality TV shows "deathwatch " after that...then look what happened! truth is stranger......

2000AD Online

Last of the V8's

Deathwatch was an awfull title for this film anyway.The Trench would have been better but there has already been a film called that a few years ago.
Also trailed was Ghost ship, of which I think there was a film years ago too. It's from the guys that gave us House on Haunted Hill and that other peice of junk in the see through haunted house...bugger can't remember what is called, senile old git I am!

Andy Diggle

Michael Bassett, who wrote and directed Deathwatch, is a 2000 AD fan - he pitched me some story ideas while I was editor, and we met up for a pint or three. He became less interested in working for 2000 AD once he got funding to direct his own movie, funnily enough.

He's a good bloke, I enjoyed his screenplay for Deathwatch (originally entitled No Man's Land), although it never really explained why all this supernatural stuff was going on, and the ending was a bit of a let-down.

Link: http://www.andydiggle.com" target="_blank">andydiggle.com

paulvonscott

The problem for me is that everything I've heard about the movie sounds rubbish, but everything I've seen looks great!  I think my best strategy is to go assuming it's shite and take out of it what i can.

28 days later was a good movie though, i could have sat through hours more of it.

Last of the V8's

Disagree that 28 days is a good movie.
It's a thinly veiled rip off of Day of the Triffids,with bad acting.
It tries to play homage to Dawn and Day of the dead but fails.
It's a shame because when I heard this was a British zombie movie I was excited, espesially after being burned with the awfull Resident Evil.
These wern't zombies, just crazy people ala Herberts The Fog and The Rats, which it also rips off by the way.
It can't even be enjoyed from a total gorefest point of veiw, because there isn't any.
A big disapointment from an excellent director, Danny Boyle, though truth be known he has never lived up to Shallow Grave and the fantastic Trainspotting has he?