Main Menu

The Adventures of Nikolai Dante - Part One.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 07 January, 2003, 08:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

Ooookay. Apart from the Collected edition and the stories after Prog 2002 I hadn't read any Dante until a fortnight ago. Even then I'd only read the first few. Tonight I gorged myself on a goodly chunk, and I have to say I'm loving this strip.

As I read more and more Nikolai endeared himself to me more and more. He's crept up behind and overtaken Johnny Alpha in the second favourite character stakes.

Signs are that they are going to start releasing collections in the 'Rain Dogs' style. If they do this will be one of the few strips I'd be prepared to buy even though I have the progs.

So here we go. Masses of big, red, shiney Spoilers.

Nikolai Dante/Romanov Dynasty - Impressive how the strip starts off running. The work that's gone into developing the ideas really pays dividends. I could see right away why this strip was recommisioned. From the moment Dmitri tells Dante how he was conceived I was rooting for him to be defeated.

Russias Greatest Love Machine - Yeah, follow the revelation that the lead is a product of rape with a sex comedy. The only mis-step in the series so far.

Gentleman Thief - Good stuff. Nice little romp, with a satisfying ending.

The Full Dante - Another odd one parter. And did no-one really notice that the wrong sibling had been drawn?

Moscow Duellists - Now that's better. Extremely funny, with some great moments. It also serves to introduce Dantes world and set up future plot moments. Nice ending with Jenna starting to see more to Dante. Frasers really getting into the swing of it now, the arts great.

Gulag Apocalyptic - Not really keen on this one. The art didn't seem to suit, and the story didn't seem to grow out of the characters or the set up. Still, it might link in later.

Trouble with Arbatovs/Cruel Brittania - Much better. Perhaps the one offs feel more fitting with Fraser on board?

The Great Game - Now this is fantastic. Laugh out loud funny, decent plot, and wonderful moments for the character. But it was pretty obvious that Eloise was doomed as soon as she was introduced.

Octobriana Seduction - Again funny, and Viktor is an intriguing character.

Masque of Dante/Moveable Feast/Tour of Duty - Good stories all, good way to meet the siblings. Liked the return of the Countess, and the church in M.F.

Cadre Infernale - Another one I really liked. Dante's moral reaction to the situations were fascinating, to me at least. There's something really creepy about the masks (especially when the msked revellers refuse to help the terrified woman) and the set up, nicely Hammer Gothic.

The Hunting Party - Possibly everyones favourite Sinister Dexter story. Liked Dantes deliberatley missing the animals he was supposed to be hunting. Says a lot about his character.

Fists of Fury - Another Arbatov. About time too. Basically one long fight scene, but the ending progresses the ongoing story well.

Last Dance of the Trans-Siberians - A brave thing to try, to tell a dance story in a static medium, but one that they pull of well. Really enjoyed this one. Charlie Adlard has drawn a few Dante strips by now, and has one of the best takes of the characters.

Cruel Seas - Dante once again stands up for the under-dog. What would be a story we've seen before is changed by the presence of Katarina Dante. Fascinating to meet her, and to see her reaction to the man Dante has become. Oh, and John Burns is great on this strip. He's an artist that I don't often think suits 'other peoples' characters, but he's perfect here.

Requiem for Lost Love - Dante punishes himself on the first anniversary of Eloise's death. A gentle story, with the sort of soppy ending that wouldn't have worked if Dante hadn't grown into a well rounded character.

I'm just saddened that I'm running out of Dante to read, but interested to see how the war will change things, and how they'll get to where I came in - Return of the Gentleman Thief.

Hmmm. Long review that. Doubt anyone has managed to get this far...

Smiley

I re-read all of Dante in one go too. After the end of Tsar Wars, just because there was so much plot paying off at that epic's end I couldn't keep up! :o

Loved doing it though. Definitely recommended. You can see why Dante earned a place on Prog 2000's cover.

I'm considering arguing the toss over minor points in the review, but I've only just woken up, so maybe later :)

Devons Daddy

yes dante is a brillant and wonderfully well crafted figure.
some times with depth other times with pure throw away shorts. but all great.
would say best character to be created in many years.
top three without doubt. dredd, alpha, dante.
 yes i do believe thats a fair thing to say . personally.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Bolt-01

Same as above, I recently re-read the entire saga so far.

Superb stuff, and a great example of how to build depth and character, esecially when, in the re-read, the Arbatov thing comes into its own.

Simon fraser and John Burns are the defining artists for me, though Charlie Adlard did okay.

Rotts.

Marbles

Yeh Dante is the best new character since 2k's heyday in the '80's IMHO.

My only gripe is that the 'Romanov Dynasty' collection appears to have missed out a number of earlyish episodes from the weekly (thats according to the character database on this site). I mean that's just damn irritating. When are we gonna get 'The Complete Dante' ??
Answer : probably when Morrison makes it big in the US...
Remember - dry hair is for squids

DavidXBrunt

Possibly sooner than you think. But it'll take a while to get them all out.

The collection only misses out 'Russias Greatest Love Machine', and 'Full Dante', both by non Simon artists. I can well see why they weren't included.

And hey, Smiley, quibble away.

Marbles

Actually fair point there are only 2 episodes missing & both look fairly throw-away by different artists.

I retract my unjustified criticsm. Still, how about a new collection of the later stories ??
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Smiley

I'm with you on most of that, DXB. But, ooer, I feel the quibbles coming on.

Maybe I'm just biased being a sucker for Chris Weston's art in general, but for me the Rasputin sex-romp is one of the best Dante stories. Knocking the timing of what is essentially a one-off (it felt like something from an annual or special) is a bit unfair. Besides, it makes sense for the character to frequently get down to what he's supposed to be notorious for, regardless of any revelations. (And regardless of any moral implications and inconsistencies levelled at the series on this board before).

Never liked Charlie Adlard's stuff, not an ideal artist for the strip. (Why's it always Andreas who's the victim of artistic continuity?) In a perfect world no-one else but Simon Fraser should draw Dante. As much as I love John Burns' art it suffers in comparison, seemingly 'quaint' and more like hack-work to take the burden off Simon.

Like in the Gulag Apocalyptic - fair point, Flint's great art suits Dante about as much as Fraser's suits Dredd. Come to think of it, I suspect Gulag wasn't character driven because it's busy setting up the whole Red Army / White Army thing, which promises to pay off big time in future (a little bit more of it is hinted at during the end of Tsar Wars).