Main Menu

the VCs, now V then.

Started by Devons Daddy, 01 March, 2003, 10:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devons Daddy

something on topic to discuss.

the current VCs,.
i feel this is excellent.even better if that is possible then the original.differnt style and format. more background and less action at times. more stolen moments then whole battles.
overall i feel this is the best return to a classic we have ever seen.i enjoyed the orginal VCs,but i was younger then,now i enjoy and understand depth and character.which i feel we get in spades with this. each week has me more attached to each member of the team.
its biulding ,block by block.
any others have opionons on this?
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Bolt-01

Spot on DD. I re-read my Titan collections and was amazed at the pace of the originals. Everything was happening SO FAST. I know that with a weekly you have time to digest and so a fast-paced story doesn't seem quite as fast (bad sentence but it is early).

When the new tales are collected, the newer format tales will read clearer, allowing for a more structured tale overall.

Thats my ten pence anyway.

rotts.

McNulty

I agree that the new VC story is a worthy successor of the original. One question though; what happened to the computer avatars on the ships. Wasn't one a Hippy?

Last of the V8's

That hippy computer was awfull. Hope they don't reuse it.
Just re-read the 2 graphic novels too, and though book one was great book two I found to be a bit of a rush. Especially the ending, landing on the planet, turn around and all of a sudden there are is the Geek fleet?
Rush job me thinks or just bad story telling from Finley Day?

Bolt-01

I think that a lot of it is to do with the comic coming out weekly. We (small kids in late seventies) have waited all week knowing that Loon is hanging up and in danger from the Geeks. What will Smith do? Next week! Not likely, TELL me now!!

I don't think the current story style is too suited for an 8-10 audience, they would find the lack of action boring.

rotts

Richmond Clements

When I first heard that the VC's were returning I thought, oh no here we go again. Another golden memory of my youth destroyed in front of my eyes. I'm thinking about the return of robo hunter or skizz, or the harlem heroes.
But I was glad to be proved wrong. It is very good, with more depth and because of this, scope than the original. I friend of mine who stopped reading the mag years ago has started to pick it up again once he saw the VC's were back.

Link: rac

Queen Firey-Bou

I don't remember the originals, & when i heard about the whole summer retro fest i was worried, i like things to be here & now, not appertaining to some mystical childhood remenis orgy. How ever the new VC's has turned out to be great, Its stand alonetastic, great characters, great atmosphere. I am really there with them, although my current extreem team adventures obviously enhance the empathy.... see when they were killing time last week, arsing about, tears of laughter, fantastic, that was me & the brigade last weekend watching & waiting for a heath fire to hit get near the forest before we knocked it out. 4am swearing our heads off at each other, ribs aching with laughter, then time to run & fight, instantly clear & focused.
tell ya the writing is right there, spot on.

Bolt-01

Hey Bou, have you sorted your keyboard yet?

rotts

Dounreay

As a future war based story it don't get any better than the VCs. This is what Rogue Trooper woul d like to be if it was any good. If all the future war stories in 2000 stood on each others shoulders they still couldn't kiss the VCs arse.

Not particularily constructive critique but what the hell... I'm a fan.

DavidXBrunt

Amongst the things I like about the current series is that, like a real war, we don't know how long it will last, and who will live or die. There's not even any guarantee that 'we' will win the war. There's also some very nice moral shading between the humans and the geeks.

I look forwards to more episodes and future series. Just as long as we get to know the crew a little better I'll be a happy camper.

Smiley

There'll be more episodes focussing on individual crew members. No point in offing them without a bit of empathy beforehand. And some if not all will buy the farm. Oh, yes.

Looking back, what was so good about the first VC's was that they were just as likely to kill each other as be killed by the enemy (Loon going native, Ringer palming a razor blade, etc). They were all mental. And the depiction of Smith after his family got nuked was a classic, that "Rip back the mat" speech and Garry Leach capturing the chilling look of a man who's just snapped.

I really do hope this latter series retains some of that. So far, it's been a bit too cute and cartoony.

Bart Oliver

'That hippy computer was awfull. Hope they don't reuse it. '

I can imagine a hip-hop computer this time around-

comin' at ya with all those dope lyrics.. word!

-second thoughts, maybe not.
Obviously you're not a golfer.

Capt.Zeep

'That hippy computer was awfull. Hope they don't reuse it. '

That was Brother, that was.  I recently reread the originals and I'd forgotten all about him.  I agree it was a bit cringeworthy but it's sort of interesting - clearly influenced IMO by the Hitchhiker's Guide which was very big at the time, I reckon he was a cross between Eddy,the shipboard computer on Heart Of Gold,and Zaphod Beeblebrox.

"Heavy vibes, Jupe"

Come to think of it, you could replace him with Otto-man off the Simpsons :)

Jared Katooie

I havent read the originals. Just wondering...

Is that a help or a jindrance?

I'm not really a big fan of this sort of thing...

J.

Bart Oliver

I've changed my mind,
I would like to see a hip-hop computer this time around-
a model somewhere between Chuck D and Sage Francis..

Then you could call it Bro'
Obviously you're not a golfer.