Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Struck me there isn't a thread for this in Games, but there is in movies. Thought it'd be nice to be able to post about a game you just played without having to start a dedicated thread to it.

I just finished Amnesia: Dark Descent last night on the PC, was really good. I'd watched a couple of reaction videos online beforehand, which sold it to me as the most terrifying experience imaginable. It's creepy, and absolutely dripping with atmosphere, but is more about a constant state of unease than all out terror, and didn't brown my trousers the way something like Condemned did. There aren't a lot of games with that atmosphere though, and the gameplay/story are really absorbing (ends a bit flat though). Recommend it, I grabbed it for £12 off Steam and definitely got my money's worth.

strontium71

I really ought to be getting back into my 360 - I had a bit of a funk and went off it oddly - but I can't seem to stop playing Bejewelled Blitz on Facebook - Damn that bloody game!!
Holding out for Batman - Arkham City , Skyrim , COD:MW3 and Final Fantasy 13/2
...because I hate you.

Richmond Clements

Played the Lego PotC demo last night. Addicted to Entanglement on the Chrome browser, and just downloaded Myst on the iphone.
I may be some time...

Michaelvk

Call of duty black ops.. Was mkay, just more of the same and horribly anachronistic regarding the weapons.. Put Ghostbusters into the PS3 again..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

chris_askham

Eternal Sonata. A pretty old 360 RPG. It's pretty simple and basic, but quite entertaining if you look past the sickly sweet cutesy anime style characters. Looks quite pretty.

I, Cosh

Currently basking in the High Definition glow of my shiny new telly and its ability to make everything look great except tv programmes.

On the 360, I'm still obsessively trying to finish DeathSmiles without continuing. This is looking like a long term project.

I only discovered a month ago that Wipeout Pulse was released for the PS2. Blasted through the early levels and it's starting to get as reassuringly frustrating and difficult as I'd hoped.

For light relief I'm also replaying the old Amiga game Alien Breed. Can get about halfway through so far. Cracking game.
We never really die.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Are you playing Alien Breed on an Amiga or through some... other means? I would be... curious... to know how to play it.
Lock up your spoons!

radiator

I'm currently playing through LA Noire on the PS3 - though I'm so busy I've only found the time to have three goes on it since I bought it a couple of weeks ago. Very slick, and I'm enjoying it, but it's a little frustrating and feels a bit restrictive and linear compared to other open world games.

Also playing Infinity Blade on the iPhone. It's basically a mixture of an extended QTE, grinding and cutscenes, though it's not as terrible as that sounds. Quite good, and the graphics are amazing, but the play area is tiny - the entire gameworld is about the size of an average level in another game. Very repetitive - I'll probably get bored long before I finish it. But perhaps it's not fair to judge it against other games - for £1.79 it's an absolute bargain!

Rog69

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AMI just finished Amnesia: Dark Descent last night on the PC, was really good. I'd watched a couple of reaction videos online beforehand, which sold it to me as the most terrifying experience imaginable. It's creepy, and absolutely dripping with atmosphere, but is more about a constant state of unease than all out terror, and didn't brown my trousers the way something like Condemned did. There aren't a lot of games with that atmosphere though, and the gameplay/story are really absorbing (ends a bit flat though). Recommend it, I grabbed it for £12 off Steam and definitely got my money's worth.

I loved Amnesia, for me it was the best game released last year. I sat in my little computer room with the lights out and my surround headphones on and I could barely play for more than ten minutes at a time without having to change my undies.
I agree about the endings though, I did three of the possible four and only one of them felt satisfying.

I'm currently playing my Wipeout HD freebie on the PS3 and loving it and on the PC I have just started Red Faction: Guerilla after having it sitting unloved on my Steam account for months after picking it up in a sale.

I'm just killing time until Deus Ex: Human Revolution comes out which will tide me over until Battlefield 3 lands.

Radbacker

going hard on Battlefield Bad company 2 again in preperation for BF3.  Started my Avatar multiplayer on Shogun 2 : Total War the other week and thats quite adictive, they've added character progression for your comander and you have to earn new troops by capturing regions which gives it a real one more go feel.  New troops just got to try em out. 
Unfortunatly i'm completely addicted to these two games to the detrement of anything else, last new game i bought was Crsis 2 and played that for a while but didn't finish it.

CU Radbacker

Batman's Superior Cousin

Gonna start Portal 2 by the end of the week (hopefully) followed by inFamous, inFamous 2, Batman: Arkham City, Resistance 3 & Hitman Absolution. I've already downloaded my free inFamous game AND have pre-orded Batman: Arkham City & Hitman Absolution.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

The Enigmatic Dr X

Dragon Age: Awakenings.

Been playing it and the main game (both for the first time) on and off since February.
Lock up your spoons!

Mudcrab

Good thread. Mothing would play on my PS3 so I dug out the 360 and played R-Type and Speedball 2. Joyous times. All set to catch up on Mass Effect.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Keef Monkey

First time here since the forum had a polish, very swish!

Been playing Mafia 2 today, it's pretty decent. The actual movement and shooty mechanics aren't quite working for me, but the characters and setting seem pretty decent. Having spent a ridiculous amount of time in Liberty City, it feels more like LC in the '40s than New York to me, like a retro GTA. In fact it's far closer to the '40s GTA that I think folks may have expected from LA Noire, although it has a similar linearity to Noire. Will see how it pans out, so far it's alright but not really setting my world alight.

Richmond Clements

Got a review copy of Child of Eden through today.
It looks wonderful, and is quite and experience, but it is- when you boil it down- a standard on rails shooter. Still a lovely game though.