Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Quote from: jacob g on 27 February, 2018, 06:14:04 PM
Actually I like the rain obstacle. Zelda nailed the part where you not only prepare for combat but for exploration. What about your horse? What about your stamina? What about weather? Should I cook more stamina enhancers? etc

Maybe I'm still not on board with weapons but other than that I love exploring part.

Hmm - except there's no mitigating rain so no way to prepare for it. My preferred solution would have been to make rain-climbing more stamina wearing. Meaning you could either mitigate it by investing more in your stamina stat or stockpile stamina boosting potions.

radiator

QuoteActually I like the rain obstacle. Zelda nailed the part where you not only prepare for combat but for exploration. What about your horse? What about your stamina? What about weather? Should I cook more stamina enhancers? etc

Is that fun though? At what point are these things just arbitrary obstacles that get in the way of enjoyment?

Eg the weapons - I kind of understand the intent, but having to constantly swap weapons just feels a bit like admin to me. Ditto cooking. At the moment I'm pretty much bypassing it entirely and getting by just fine eating apples. Path of least resistance etc.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: radiator on 27 February, 2018, 06:55:28 PM
QuoteActually I like the rain obstacle. Zelda nailed the part where you not only prepare for combat but for exploration. What about your horse? What about your stamina? What about weather? Should I cook more stamina enhancers? etc

Is that fun though? At what point are these things just arbitrary obstacles that get in the way of enjoyment?

Eg the weapons - I kind of understand the intent, but having to constantly swap weapons just feels a bit like admin to me. Ditto cooking. At the moment I'm pretty much bypassing it entirely and getting by just fine eating apples. Path of least resistance etc.

It was no fun at all. This was a tedious life sim with some puzzles a trudge too far apart.
Lock up your spoons!

Tiplodocus

I'll bet you hated THE LAST JEDI too.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

jacob g

Quote from: radiator on 27 February, 2018, 06:55:28 PM

Yes, fun. I had tones of fun planing how to reach some places and seeking alternative roads. I even had fun with creating my own recipes for different situations in game.

And it's funny since I'm not "hardcore gamer" who love "difficult games". I hated crafting in Witcher 3, I still ignore cooking right potions and meals for harder fights in Monster Hunter World, but sometimes this things works and I enjoyed them, like... in Zelda.
margaritas ante porcos

radiator

Quotealthough those motion controlled rolling ball puzzles can get fucked

Sad to say, but I pretty much hate the puzzle design in general in this game so far. There's something really unintuitive and flimsy about the puzzles compared to the tight, ingenious puzzles in previous Zelda games, and I don't find them at all fun to play.

I resorted to a walkthrough after about ten minutes in the first dungeon/elephant thing because I couldn't figure out what to do and it felt like a tedious exam that I just had to get out of the way rather than a fun test of skills. As the game goes on, I'm finding the same is true of most of the shrines, sadly - ie they're all uninspiring looking aeroplane hangars with some fiddly and frustrating physics puzzle at the center.

Even when I figure out (or Google) a solution, I never have that 'aha!' moment, it's more of a 'really? that was it?' reaction. There's other irritations, like for instance you'll need to use arrows to solve part of a puzzle, but they don't give you any, instead forcing you to spend 10+ minutes backtracking to the nearest village to go and buy some. Again, this feels more like work than fun and feels like a backwards step in game design.

I understand that the old formula (find a boomerang/hookshot etc, use it to complete dungeon/defeat boss) needed shaking up, but the runes aren't really much of a replacement and simply aren't very fun to use.

It's a real weakness in the game imo.

Tiplodocus

Blimey. I pretty much felt the opposite. I did need a walkthrough to help open up some areas of one of the Divine Beasts and to find the last few shrines but other than that I found the puzzles engaging and had plenty of "Aha!" moments.

The feeling of defeating my first guardian was elation. And I just about jizzed my keks when defeating my first Lynel having trained and prepped for it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

I think the problem is partly that the controls are noticeably looser/twitchier than compared to earlier Zelda games - I find that it's really easy to accidentally fall off ledges which can make dungeon traversal quite stressful. This also extends to the runes - I find manipulating stuff with the magnet really fiddly for example.

jacob g

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 28 February, 2018, 09:34:30 PMThe feeling of defeating my first guardian was elation. And I just about jizzed my keks when defeating my first Lynel having trained and prepped for it.

This.

And moments when I was thinking "I wish this was possible" and after few minutes I had "aha" moment because it was possible, like attacking monsters with stones from big distance (using combination of runes), meltig ice, creating wind streams during battles with fire, etc. This game gave me freedom like no other game.
margaritas ante porcos

I, Cosh

If it's raining too much I just waited right there and made a cup of tea or something until it stopped. You don't lose stamina or slip if you're not moving. It's a bit annoying sometimes but I felt the way the weather and environmental effects are actually used in some of the puzzles and design offset this quite well.

Agree about the cooking stuff though. Can't really be arsed with that sort of thing at the best of times and the fact that you had to sit through the same animation every bloody time (with no option to produce multiples of the same dish) had me tearing my hair out.
We never really die.

Dandontdare

thought i'd pop this here: a learning A.I. has beaten Q*bert on the Atari by discovering previously unknown bugs and cheats: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43241936 - "Another novel strategy involved endlessly tempting Q*bert to commit suicide. Each time this happened the program received enough points for another life so it could repeat the cycle."

radiator

Quote from: jacob g on 01 March, 2018, 10:32:38 AM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 28 February, 2018, 09:34:30 PMThe feeling of defeating my first guardian was elation. And I just about jizzed my keks when defeating my first Lynel having trained and prepped for it.

This.

And moments when I was thinking "I wish this was possible" and after few minutes I had "aha" moment because it was possible, like attacking monsters with stones from big distance (using combination of runes), meltig ice, creating wind streams during battles with fire, etc. This game gave me freedom like no other game.

There's a lot of great stuff, and the sense of freedom and experimentation is wonderful, but I feel as an overall package it's very much a mixed bag - not the universal triumph it was heralded as imo. In terms of design it harkens back to older games in a lot of ways - it gives the player much more agency and freedom, and it doesn't hold the player's hand.... but it also brings back some bad things about old games too, like excessive and tedious inventory management.

Most of my Switch-owning friends seemed to prefer BotW, but to me Mario Odyssey is by far the superior game.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Steam has a Square Enix sale this weekend. Might try bonkers looking and poorly reviewed Front Mission Evolved for Mecha thrills.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/squareenix-publisher-weekend/
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JamesC

I've been on a bit of a shmup mission lately.
Today I've had a go on both Fire Shark and Atomic Runner (both mentioned up thread and both still fantastic) and also had a go on Thunder Force IV.
TF IV is a game I really rate but it's just a bit too fast and frantic for my reaction speed. It's also difficult to see what's going on at first - it took about 15mins for me to get my eye in this time. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who likes their games fast paced and arcadey and who doesn't mind a steep difficulty curve.

Link Prime

Thanks to Snowmageddon I had a lot of free time for gaming recently.
Definitely one way (the other being copious amounts of hooch) to combat the cabin fever mentality.

Batman Arkham Knight DLC; I purchased the season pass on a sale a while back, and loaded this back up on the PS4 for a return to Gotham. It took a while to get back into the groove of things, but this was a blast while it lasted. I completed all of the additional 'story' missions and Season of Infamy, but stopped short of completing all race tracks and simulations- I nearly cracked up getting the platinum trophy for this a few years ago, didn't feel that the "100%" was worth it.

Everybody's Gone to The Rapture; Well, that was different. Not really like anything I've played before, but I found it both compelling and relaxing to play. Story was great to piece together, but I think I was expecting more of a sinister ending.
I played through a second time with the help of a guide to get the Platinum trophy- pretty easy one.

Stardew Valley: Just started this yesterday on the Switch....as Cosh says-

Quote from: I, Cosh on 21 February, 2018, 03:23:51 PM
Hopelessly addicted to Stardew Valley on the Switch. I can't be trusted to work from home anymore as I'll think "Oh, I'll have a quick blast on this while I make a cup of tea." and look up four hours later.