Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Star Wars Battlefront 2, which I knew going in had a bad reputation, which made me assume it was because of one of two things:
1 - some bullshit multiplayer fuckery like guns that shoot too fast or reload too slow after an update or something equally lame and fucking stupid that no sensible person gives a shit about, or
2 - there's a woman/ethnic in the one-player mode and you either have to play as them, or you have to play with them.
Amazingly, my blathering reductionism was actually completely and utterly correct on both counts.  Who would have thought that combining the two worst fandoms in the world - Star Wars and online multiplayer shooting games - would turn out badly?

Oh yeah what I actually thought of the game - it was a complete hoot.  Those fanbois can go fuck.
Not what you'd call deep (essentially you play using one or two buttons) and the checkpoints seem to be pretty far apart, forcing you to go back quite a ways to replay some sections.  It's also seemingly a series of arena battles, the card system seems a bit arbitrary (one starts a killstreak or something with a shotgun and I still have no idea what the point of it was), and your actual objectives/destinations are not always clear, but as a side-story to events during the decades between Return Of The Jedi and Last Jedi, it's a fun ride while it lasts - and there is actually a good chunk of single-player game in there.
The story suffers from dodgy dialogue, at least one character not being particularly bothered at losing two parents in one day, and seeing your character fold like a bitch to a puny handgun in the cinematic scenes after being directly shot by AT-ATs several times during the gameplay segments feels kinda cheap, but all round it's a good story effort, and it's nice to see Star Wars doing meat and potatoes stuff again and none of that Cartoon Network self-awareness jazz that made Last Jedi such a drag.  You also get to play as Lando Calrissian in a fucking awesome cape, and when you pull up the control hints menu while playing as him, it always states his name in full, ie: "L1 - Lando Calrissian deploys a smoke grenade, obscuring all but Lando Calrissian's thermal scope" which is a nice touch.  He is voiced by Billy Dee Williams, so all is well.

Smith

Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne,still probably my favorite RTS of all times.All the memories.... :)

NapalmKev

God of War! Which I got as part of a bundle when my old PS4 stopped working. It's a very good game. Stunning graphics and a story that puts a lot of modern films to shame. Outstanding, and well worth a play.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Crom

Injustice & Injustice 2.

shaolin_monkey

Mass Effect Andromeda - quite different to ME and ME2, but I'm enjoying it! I really like the whole 'space, the final frontier' vibe. I don't get why the reviews are so bad?

Picked it up for a fiver from PS4 Store - bargain, if you ask me.

Keef Monkey

I really enjoyed Andromeda too! It's not perfect, but it was one of those cases where the online backlash to it was so loud and disproportionate that it was kind of insane. I played through it three times and got every achievement, and loved every minute of it (I'm a huge Mass Effect fan though, so that probably helped).

radiator

Hollow Knight.

Had heard so much praise of this game, and the genre is right up my alley, but I ended up giving up on it after a few hours.

I like a challenging game as much as the next guy, but this just seems needlessly frustrating, and - because of the deliberate scarcity of save points and fast travel points - like it actively tries to waste the player's time.

I would also argue that there is a good reason why combat, outside of boss encounters - in Metroidvania games is usually fairly undemanding, and that's because the genre involves a lot of exploration and backtracking. The enemies in Hollow Knight however are almost all tough and require specific tactics to fight, and meaningful health and weapon upgrades are few and far between - I played 5+ hours of the game and didn't find any at all. So because the combat is tricky and remains so, exploration quickly becomes a real slog.

The lack of save points really starts to grind you down after a while - bosses appear suddenly and without warning and can kill you almost instantly, but the nearest save point is all the way on the other side of the map, meaning 10 minutes of grinding just to get back to where you died. I don't mind the bosses themselves, but the constant forced backtracking and repetition just gets tedious.

The game is also needlessly obtuse and aggravating in the way that it deals with the map system, and coupled with the visually and structurally generic game world, I just had a perpetual feeling of being lost and confused, with never a clear idea of where to go next, just joylessly trudging from one dead end to the next. No matter how many times I was forced to replay the same area (and I was, a lot) I never had that gradual sense of familiarity and still had to refer to the map constantly to make sure I was heading in the right direction.

Above all, I'd describe the sensation of playing the game as like trying to wade through treacle, or like having a mild migraine.

So yeah, didn't click with me at all.

moogie101

Mass Effect Andromeda has had a number of patches since it was launched, on day one there was a lot of issues although mainly graphically which has never bothered me.

Its a decent game but continued to streamline the RPG elements & there was still a huge backlash of anger amongst fans after the simplified ending of ME3 after the developers had promised numerous & varied endings but instead it came down to a selection of three options which mainly changed the colour of the final cutscenes!

Theblazeuk

The new DOOM.

Ok not so newish but be fair I had to finish Witcher 3 before I could play it finally. And though this isn't a patch on Geralt and his incredibly detailed and vibrant world, DOOM scratches an itch I didn't know I had. The itch of a trigger finger on a super shotgun, as hordes of demons erupt around you, as you run through showers of viscera and hellfire to rip things apart with your hands and leap between explosions to snatch one more moment of bloodshed from the teeth of your enemies, until finally it's silent....

In other words I forgot how fun and cathartic it is to shoot monsters.

Trooper McFad

Rogue Trooper - Redux
With all the talk of the new film I dusted off the PS4 after the World Cup holiday and put in Rogue to indulge in some Norty slaying. A bit rusty since I completed it but for what it is still enjoyable once I got used to the controls again running about Nu earth. 👍🏻
Hopefully not too long for a new 2000AD tile for me to lose myself in.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Mardroid

I bought that shortly after getting my Nintendo Switch, having enjoyed the original on the PS2.**

For some reason I didn't get into it as much this time, although I suspect that was largely due to dying to often due to being very rusty myself. Hand controls seem to take me a while. The amount of times I hit the wrong button is just silly. I plan on giving it another good go though.

*Something I'm kind of regretting. It's a truly lovely gadget, but I think I should have opted for a PS4 pro. The games just seem more my cup of tea. And the games that do appeal on the switch (xenoblade, I'm thinking of you) have a cutesy mangaish l art style I'm not all that into. I won't get rid of the switch just yet though.

**I never did get beyond the train level, mind you, and gave up after multiple reattempts. I enjoyed the ride before that, though.

Keef Monkey

Lara Croft and The Temple of Osiris, the sequel to Guardian of Light which I really enjoyed. This isn't quite as good, thanks to what feel like fussier/fiddlier controls and some perspective issues making the platforming occasionally frustrating. It also has some of the worst physics puzzles I've ever seen, where getting objects into the spots they need to be in can be more a case of blind luck rather than any satisfactory ingenuity. Still, for all those frustrations it still offers some decent enough old school fun and at 5 hours(ish) doesn't overstay its welcome.

I, Cosh

Finally managed to drag myself away from Celeste on the Switch but got a hell of a lot of gameplay out of it. Managed the main game, all B-Sides and the first two C-sides and now enjoying watching speedrunners do the whole lot in under two hours.

Now enjoying the Dark Souls remaster on the PS4. I played this a bit on the 360 years ago but never got very far. Since then I played and loved DS2 and Bloodborne so I'm a lot more in tune with how the game works this time. Spent last night wandering around the ghost-infested New Londo Ruins. Which turns out to be a dead end for now. Marvellous stuff.
We never really die.

Theblazeuk

Got Arkham Knight and PUBG over the last week on the cheap. Not played PUBG yet but eager to get back into multiplayer gaming - sadly no one seemed to be playing DOOM when I gave it a go. Arkham Knight is fun enough but definitely the weakest of the Arkham games so far. Love the way the Joker is in it but the other villains seem given short shrift in comparison to the last two games. The batmobile is more fun as a car than a tank, and the stealth/melee combat sections seem less developed; it seems like in this game, there's just too many gadgets on offer.

Keef Monkey

Played through Costume Quest last week, nice charming Double Fine RPG-lite with a really simple turn-based combat system and a relatively short and breezy playtime for an RPG at about 5hrs-ish. I enjoyed it, was good non-challenging fun with a good sense of humor and while the combat was simplistic enough to get repetitive it didn't outstay its welcome at all, glad I played through it.