Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 19 November, 2019, 03:15:45 PM

Played through a game in a oner last night called What Remains of Edith Finch? which has been sitting on my shame pile for a while.

It's a couple of years old so this is probably old news to most, but it's brilliant.

Brilliant game, and the 2nd best ever use of John Carpenter's Halloween theme.

Keef Monkey

Played through another short but great game called Stories Untold (I played on PC but probably available on other stuff, although the format is definitely perfect for mouse and keyboard play).

It's made up for 4 chapters with each one being slightly mechanically different but all very absorbing - as a couple of examples the first plays like an old '80s text adventure, and there's one where you're a lonely radio operator in a Thing style antarctic base, having to use an in-world manual to decode transmissions you're picking up - I haven't taken so many notes for a game in ages!).

Really satisfying gentle puzzle-solving and some absolutely fantastic writing and presentation, it's massively absorbing and pretty crazy how much atmosphere they wring out of some very simple set-ups. Playing in the dark with headphones on was quite the experience.

Also played through the Stasis Interrupted DLC for Aliens: Colonial Marines, because I heard that it has a canon explanation for how Hicks apparently survived Alien 3. It was a load of nonsense. I did actually quite enjoy the shooting up to a point but the fact they tried to dress up such a fan-fictiony load of gibberish as the official canon is absolutely mental.

Link Prime

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 25 November, 2019, 10:17:47 AM
Also played through the Stasis Interrupted DLC for Aliens: Colonial Marines, because I heard that it has a canon explanation for how Hicks apparently survived Alien 3. It was a load of nonsense. I did actually quite enjoy the shooting up to a point but the fact they tried to dress up such a fan-fictiony load of gibberish as the official canon is absolutely mental.

Easily one of the worst retcons ever.
Can't believe I tired to platinum that game once upon a time.

radiator

The Witcher III: Wild Hunt on Switch.

This could be the greatest narrative with the most memorable cast of characters, and offer deepest, most richly detailed and layered open world ever conceived in a videogame.

I wouldn't know, because I am fucked if I am putting up with the absolutely atrocious, sub-early PS2 era controls and traversal and the eyesore of a cluttered UI to play it for long enough to find out.

I remember years ago hearing that the Japanese have a derogatory slang term for Western-made videogames, which they often regard as imprecise, unpolished and sloppy from a control/handling perspective. If there's any truth to this phrase, The Witcher III is the absolute epitome of it.

I am genuinely astonished that this game gets a fraction of the praise it does. From a 'game feel' perspective it's an absolute mess. A chore to play.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: radiator on 06 January, 2020, 05:10:30 PM
The Witcher III: Wild Hunt on Switch.

This could be the greatest narrative with the most memorable cast of characters, and offer deepest, most richly detailed and layered open world ever conceived in a videogame.

I wouldn't know, because I am fucked if I am putting up with the absolutely atrocious, sub-early PS2 era controls and traversal and the eyesore of a cluttered UI to play it for long enough to find out.

I remember years ago hearing that the Japanese have a derogatory slang term for Western-made videogames, which they often regard as imprecise, unpolished and sloppy from a control/handling perspective. If there's any truth to this phrase, The Witcher III is the absolute epitome of it.

I am genuinely astonished that this game gets a fraction of the praise it does. From a 'game feel' perspective it's an absolute mess. A chore to play.

What I found, too. Although I promised my brother on Saturday that I would give it another go.
Lock up your spoons!

JamesC

I really like The Witcher III.
I get that there are lots of menus etc. but I can't say I had too much trouble learning how to play.
General moving around, combat, interacting with character/environment all seem fine to me.

radiator

Doing a bit of googling, it seems that it's a fairly common opinion that the Witcher series has always had pretty clunky controls and weak combat, but most people are willing to put up with it because the story is apparently good, whereas for me it's a dealbreaker. A game has to have slick and responsive controls, especially an open world/exploration game.

To me it just feels really floaty and unrefined. Doing even simple things like walking through doorways or picking up objects feels needlessly fiddly, aiming or moving the camera feels twitchy and loose, and I feel like I'm constantly bouncing off/running into NPCs and getting stuck on a bit of scenery. It just feels really janky and unpolished, like the controls are an afterthought rather than tight, satisfying mechanics that the  gameplay has been built around, if that makes sense.

With the UI, it's not so much that there are loads of menus, it's more that it's all so cluttered and ugly looking. Very utilitarian, like it's been thrown together without a designer's eye.

Just not my cup of tea at all - gutted I wasted $40 on it.

Dr Feeley Good

I've just started playing it on the xbox one x, only five years late to the party, enjoying it though....

Dr Feeley Good

It's the game of the year edition with all the dlc, was only 11 quid on the store....

Zenith 666

Quote from: radiator on 07 January, 2020, 08:51:30 PM
Doing a bit of googling, it seems that it's a fairly common opinion that the Witcher series has always had pretty clunky controls and weak combat, but most people are willing to put up with it because the story is apparently good, whereas for me it's a dealbreaker. A game has to have slick and responsive controls, especially an open world/exploration game.

To me it just feels really floaty and unrefined. Doing even simple things like walking through doorways or picking up objects feels needlessly fiddly, aiming or moving the camera feels twitchy and loose, and I feel like I'm constantly bouncing off/running into NPCs and getting stuck on a bit of scenery. It just feels really janky and unpolished, like the controls are an afterthought rather than tight, satisfying mechanics that the  gameplay has been built around, if that makes sense.

With the UI, it's not so much that there are loads of menus, it's more that it's all so cluttered and ugly looking. Very utilitarian, like it's been thrown together without a designer's eye.

Just not my cup of tea at all - gutted I wasted $40 on it.

You'll surely get at least $30 in vouchers for the witcher switch in cex against another game.When first released its menus were a bit of mess but constant updates made them much more streamlined and manageable.An amazing game which is much more suited to the more powerful ps or xbox and a bigger screen is an essential for it.

Keef Monkey

Got quite a long break over the holidays and used it to get through a bunch of stuff from the shame pile while my other half was at work! Prioritized shorter games just to make a dent, and had a good time.

Star Wars: Jedi: Fallen Order - Loved this, glad I'd spent some time on Sekiro or the more brutal fights might have been frustrating. Still died a lot but found it really satisfying and a great Star Wars game.

Life Is Strange 2 - I liked this but couldn't get into it nearly as much as LiS1 and Before The Storm, I just didn't find the central characters or performances as engaging I think. Still had some fantastic moments though and I was pretty emotionally attached at times.

Sayonara Wild Hearts - A really stylish and great feeling sort-of-but-not-quite rhythm action game, where it's more about the nice music and visuals than anything else. Super short and a bit of a one-and-done but I enjoyed the experience.

Untitled Goose Game - Really charming and didn't overstay its welcome. Pretty hilarious to just honk about noising people up.

The Red Strings Club - Fairly short cyberpunk visual-novel-style game where you mostly make choices and dialogue options, with some mini-games for mixing drinks and things like that. I liked the story a lot and it was presented in a very stylish, very Devolver way. Only took 3hrs tops which felt perfect for what it is.

Nier: Automata - I'd 'finished' this already but hadn't pushed through to the secondary playthroughs, which vary wildly and are essential to get the whole story. Love this game, so stylish and one of the best scores (and score implementations) ever.

Strange Brigade - Been chipping away at this now and then with the same pal I play through the Sniper Elite and Zombie Army game with, and we had a blast. It's a really fun multiplayer shooter, nice one Rebellion.

The Final Station - Pixel-art post-apocalyptic train driver game, that manages to wring a whole lot of atmosphere and tension from its simple presentation. Story didn't really land for me, but I enjoyed the journey.

Stacking - Charming puzzle game, where progress isn't too taxing but you're encouraged to play through areas in multiple different ways and find different solutions. I haven't done that yet but for a once through I found it satisfying and quite gentle on the brain so I felt smart.

Full Throttle Remastered - For the most part this holds up way better than a lot of other Lucasarts point and click games of that era, none of the puzzles feel too obtuse, until I got stuck a couple of times because the updated controls don't communicate some things too well, and because I forgot how pixel-hunty these things can be at times. Also hit a bug that completely stopped progress until I found a debug key press online that skipped that section, which was annoying.

Star Wars: Battlefront 2 - Had played through this before but went through on Hard just to get some more Star Wars in my veins. I still really like this campaign and had a lot of great feeling epic Star Wars moments with it.

Mass Effect 3 - Finished yet another playthrough of the trilogy and still blown away by just how much I love these games, and how much I like the way the 3rd part panned out. Best series ever for me!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 08 January, 2020, 04:00:30 PM
Untitled Goose Game - Really charming and didn't overstay its welcome. Pretty hilarious to just honk about noising people up.

I really like the look of this and can't wait till it becomes available on Steam (months away) so I'm going to do what I never do and shell out full-price for a (fairly) new game.

Smith

I dusted off Hitman Blood Money.

NapalmKev

Goat Simulator which is currently free for PS4. It's mildly amusing for about 5 minutes.

I'm also replaying Resident Evil 2 Remake. Trying to get Platinum before the remastered Nemesis arrives in April.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

radiator

Doom (1993) on Switch. It is genuinely incredible how well this game, made by a handful of guys in their early 20s 27(!) years ago still holds up so well.

If the game has dated in any way, it's that the later levels tend to get a bit sprawling and finding keys becomes a bit obtuse, and it can get a bit cheap with the teleporting-in waves of enemies and unavoidable traps that make save scumming all but mandatory. But other than that, the core gameplay remains as visceral and gripping as ever, and the graphics, that once looked so dated, now have a unique kind of timeless retro charm to them.

They just added a load of bonus features, extra level packs, 16:9 mode, 60fps etc, with the promise of more to come. An absolute steal for $4.99.

QuoteYou'll surely get at least $30 in vouchers for the witcher switch in cex against another game.

It's a download, unfortunately. eShop doesn't offer refunds like the Steam store as far as I'm aware.