Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krakajac

The free game for April on PlayStation Plus - Mad Max.  Probably not an A+ title - but hey, it's free!  See you on the road!

Pete Wells

It's a great game, especially for free! Very much like an open world version of the Batman Arkham series or the Shadows of Mordor games. It looks beautiful at times too.

Keef Monkey

Yeah that Mad Max game was great fun, very cool. I got pretty burnt out on it towards the end, I may have been trying to do way too much in terms of side objectives and stuff which meant the game eventually outstayed its welcome, but that's probably more a problem with my own gaming habits than the game itself! Definitely a bargain at £free.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Going into the storms on Mad Max was so cool!! Good game but those storms in particular are one of my favourite gaming moments of last year (I finally got round to it on Game Pass).

Keef Monkey

Played through a PC puzzler called Gunpoint this week. A neat set of mechanics (you have to infiltrate buildings to steal data or items, with your main ability being to rewire the building's systems - hooking a motion sensor to a different door or hacking a lightswitch to call a lift etc. - and then tricking the security guards into opening up the paths you need). It's really intuitive and the levels that are all pretty easy to solve if you just want to get the data and get out again, but because there are bonus stipulations on the missions (no witnesses, hack bonus laptops etc.) it can be as tricky as you want it to be really. The writing is really amusing and cleverly the dialogue options are varied in a way that lets you dictate the tone of the game, it can be gritty or it can be a laugh, and the story works both ways quite happily.

Short too, at maybe three hours, which made it the ideal lunch break game.

Krakajac

Not sure about the UK, but Rogue Trooper Redux for the PS4 is currently on special in the Playstation Store for about $12.00 Australian Dollars (about 7 pounds?) - not a bad price!

Also - I downloaded the PS4 vanilla version of Elite Dangerous for the same price (about $12.00AUD).  Question - I haven't played this kind of game before - is it reasonably easy to get into (possibly with a baby-steps tutorial of some kind?) - or does it throw you into the deep end straight away?

Bearing in mind, I didn't play the original back in the good ol' days! :)

Professor Bear

You should buy any game you can get in Australia, as I understand it might be banned at any moment in case it upsets the sensibilities of people who have never and will never play a videogame.

James Stacey

I'm enjoying Mad Max.Scratches the open world itch with some nice car battles thrown in. Not massively original but well executed

GrudgeJohnDeed

Quote from: Krakajac on 16 April, 2018, 11:07:25 AM
Not sure about the UK, but Rogue Trooper Redux for the PS4 is currently on special in the Playstation Store for about $12.00 Australian Dollars (about 7 pounds?) - not a bad price!

Its on sale, but it's £13.99. Not on Xbox though. Is it just me or do more games go on sale more frequently on the PlayStation Store? Sometimes it seems like MS's sales are perhaps overly curated or something.

Link Prime

Last game played (for the past 5 weeks or so) is Stardew Valley.
It has utterly, utterly charmed me, but I think I'm reaching the point where it's time to say adieu.

I know that Stardew Valley was inspired by the Harvest Moon games, but I have never played them, despite the proliferation of the series.

I'm looking for some recommendations regarding Harvest Moon- whats the best version out there, closest in style to Stardew Valley?
Ideally on the Wii U or 3DS Virtual Console.

Keef Monkey

Because it won ALL of the BAFTAs this year and because it's just fresh out on XB1 I figured I should play through Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice to see what all the fuss was about. Turns out it's very deserving of the praise, it's a really unique and intense experience. It looks great (especially in high resolution mode), the central performance is incredible (was shocked to hear she isn't a full-time actor - apparantly is an animator at the studio who was initially just getting to grips with the mocap setup and wound up playing the lead role) and the audio design is a real standout. It's unusual these days with everyone mixing their games for home cinema systems and trying to make everything sound as wide and expansive as possible that Hellblade is mixed for headphones and designed to envelope you very closely, it makes for a really claustrophobic and sometimes overwhelmingly oppressive atmosphere.

Only small gripe is that it unfortunately falls into the trap of throwing waves and waves of enemies at you late in the game, and while the combat is decent it's not one of the game's strengths and with checkpoints being pretty far apart the frustration can creep in. Those fight scenes can feel a lot like padding, which wouldn't be a problem in a lot of games but here everything else is so interesting and original that it jars a bit in the later stages.

Still, a small complaint about what is otherwise a real masterpiece. It's not 'fun', rather it's very disturbing and harrowing, but it's definitely an experience in the real 'lights down, headphones cranked up' sense. Loved it.

Keef Monkey

Played through Assassin's Creed: Origins, which I enjoyed a lot initially and then became a real trudge.

It started out really promisingly, with a very cool setting and a couple of lead characters I immediately cared about. By the end though I'd really soured on it, thanks to very messy mission design and the controls for movement, free-running and traversal being astonishingly bad for a franchise this far along, let alone one where free-running and traversal is such a focus. So many other games have come along and done that well while AC has never really been afforded the development time to properly nail it.

Bug-wise it was solid though, so all those launch woes must have been patched out. It's just such a shame it takes such a nose-dive, especially coming after Black Flag which was a real high point of the series, and the only AC game so far I'd call a classic.

Apestrife

Bioshock Infinite. Accidently rushed through this one last time playing it. Thought of it mostly like a good fast paced shooter where you follow a pointer through a very complicated story...

Took my time this time around. Got so much more out of it. There's so much detail to everything. Alot of "texture" so to say, a lived quality. And while the world (a floating city in the sky) is quite awful on many accounts, there's a sadness to it when things begin to burn. Has some big aha moments, and I think the ending (which is a big one) begs the for another go.

Only thing which I wasn't too fond of is the level of violence. While the game doesn't try to criticize (which alot of violent games has a tendency to) I think the game is a bit too much at times. Violence really suits the game, but I think it could'v done with a bit less in order to make some of it's moments it to stand out more.

Here's a trailer if someone's interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIY3tOjHhxY

Tiplodocus

Long train journey and decided to leave the Switch at home so its Mario Kart 7 and Metroid: Samus Returns on the 3DS xl. Glorious.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

Far Cry: Primal, which I finally got around to sitting down and playing in full.  Not bad.
Some rough edges in the mechanics - it feels a lot like an expansion pack that got bumped to full game status, the central plot not having a lot of meat on it and the bulk of the game being unconnected activities on an open world map not doing much to dispel the notion - but on the plus side you get to be the protagonist of a mid-80s Dio track by riding around on the back of a tiger braining cavemen with a burning axe, and it's such good fun you barely even notice that your ultimate goal is the genocide of a rival tribe.