Main Menu

Letters Of Note (Tharg edition)

Started by Frank, 28 August, 2016, 09:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Fair points, well made. Liam Sharp's missing a lucrative sponsorship opportunity by refusing to add an i and an e to the end of his name.

Colin YNWA

Reading Prog 194 and we have a Chris Chibnall. Now that can't be a common name and the Chris Chibnall would be in the right age proifile. Did he ever live in Solihull is the remaining question?

GordonR

Chibnall's from Lancashire.  And has the accent to prove it.

Colin YNWA

Not sure who 'the other' Warren Ellis is (???) but in Prog 207 one Warren Ellis gets a letter in the Prog and he's from Essex no less. So ya know there's every chance there's more than one Warren Ellis in Essex  but I'm liking the odds on this one?

Colin YNWA

Onto Prog 264 and we have a rather lovely 5th Birthday picture by one Jonathan Haward. This one I'm confident on... you are from Suffolk right Jon... or  quick Wikicheck and Norfolk and went to Suffolk. I'm calling this one a lock!

Frank

Shamefully incestuous crossposting, ahoy! This board's Alex F has devoted far too much of his limited time on Earth to an appreciation of readers' letters and art.

What emerges is a shameful exposé of graft and nepotism. For decades, Tharg was supplementing wages by awarding the prize money for letters and competitions to the editorial team and top creators, including Matt Smith, Alan Barnes, Si Spurrier, Eoin Coveny, and Jim Vickers*.

It beggars belief.

* Well done for even remebering that Vickers was, briefly, an art droid

Rogue Earthlet

My journey into 2000AD began with Judge Dredd in the Daily Star, when he only appeared on a Saturday. In time I began buying 2000AD, and I loved the letters and the Mighty Ones witty replies. I can still remember some from years ago, as in when one reader asked if a favourite character of theirs would ever return. Tharg said yes, and an announcement would be made soon, so "watch this space." The following weeks prog had a letter from another earthlet, referring to that exchange, and saying, "I watched that space for hours, and nothing happened." Tharg's unforgettable reply was "the vastness of the mindlessness of some earthlets amazes even the Mighty Tharg!"