Main Menu

Can anyone tell me the page dimensions for a 2000AD submission?

Started by JohnnyBoyB, 05 October, 2009, 01:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyBoyB

Hi all!

I'm planning on illustrating a sample script 2000AD has here on the site to present to Tharg as a submission, and I was wondering what the page dimensions are.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

pauljholden

Measure an existing page of artwork and multiple all sides by 40%

(Don't have the measurements to hand, sorry, but as long as the aspect ratio is correct you'll be fine...)

radiator

mygrimmbrother

Is 10x15 inches the printable area, or do you need to leave margins as well? Sorry if I'm using the improper terms there chaps.

radiator

The 10 x 15 includes all borders etc, but it's good practice to have a 'bleed' area. When I'm drawing a comic page, I mark up a 10 x 15 area within an A3 sheet of paper/board and draw in that space, leaving the excess as the bleed. If that makes sense.

Jim_Campbell

Embarassingly, I don't have a ruler to hand to measure up a 2000AD page at the minute!

However, the finished paper size is the one measurement you shouldn't worry about drawing to. The finished (trimmed) size is a product of the guillotining process, which is a bit inaccurate.

If the finished, printed page size (by which I mean the actual physical paper) is -- say -- 254mm x 381mm then typically any art that should bleed off the edge wants to go at least 3mm over the finished edge. At the same time, any part of the artwork that doesn't bleed off should stay within the 'Live' or 'Safe Type' area, typically about 15mm in from the edge of the finished page size. You can't draw to the trimmed/finished size because the guillotine is simply not that accurate.

So ... in this example, you really only need to rule two borders: Full Bleed at 260mm x 387mm and Live at 224mm x 351mm. Anything that bleeds off the page goes to the edge of the larger border, everything else stays inside the smaller, Live area.

Note that these are almost certainly not the correct measurements, but the principle is sound.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JohnnyBoyB

Thanks, guys!

I think I'll choose a format and just illustrate the story. I think for the purposes of submitting work, it doesn' really matter.

Thanks again!

Jim_Campbell

OK ... now I have measured a 2000AD page. The Live Area (aka Safe Type Area) is 190mm wide by 257mm deep on the finished page. All elements that you do not want to run to the edge of the page need to be inside this area.

I'm guessing that full bleed is 3mm over the printed size, so the bleed area is 216mm wide by 283mm deep.

If you're working oversize, then multiply these measurements by 1.41 to double the page size:

Live: 267mm x 362mm
Bleed: 305mm x 399mm

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JohnnyBoyB