Main Menu

This baffled me.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 08 November, 2006, 06:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Carroll

More spoilers:

The "mind-reading" one works like this (I know Max explains it above, but some people just aren't getting it!):

1. ANY two-digit number whose digits are subtracted from the number will return a multiple of nine.

2. When the website shows you the list of symbols to concentrate on, every symbol that corresponds to a multiple of nine is the same; the other symbols are random - you can't ever choose them.

Heck, let's do it right here!

Pick a two-digit number.
Subtract the digits from that number.
Pick the symbol that corresponds to your new number from this handy list:

0: :^)
9: :^)
18: :^)
27: :^)
36: :^)
45: :^)
54: :^)
63: :^)
72: :^)
81: :^)

This was the symbol you picked:  :^)

See? I've just read your mind! Scary, isn't it?

There's another old chestnut like that one that's been making recent return visits via the internet:

You're asked to memorise one of a set of eight playing cards. Then you're told that the one you've been concentrating on will be replaced by a new one. You proceed to the next screen and - wow! The card you chose is gone! How did they do that? By replacing all the cards - and they get away with it because you've only memorised one of them.

- Mike

hag

i just don't understand why that is meant to baffle me...

Max Kon

plus they never said the others would still be there, so they ain't lying

Jocklet

The first one's obvious.
As Tex Hex says, you instinctively put the cursor over your icon.
Like, when I moved my mouds way out of the game screen, it just chose the one which was closest to the cursor - the one directly above it.

Jocklet

Although, surprisingly, one time, it guessed right even though my cursor was not underneath it.
:S

Jocklet

"...when I moved my mouds way out of the game screen..." Here, I meant mouse.

ThryllSeekyr

That first one is still fdreaky.

Here's how I think it keeps coming up with the exact same symbol that correspond to the number you pick.

When you look at the RED symbol for about ten seconds it gets burned into the retinas of your eye.

Your eyes remember the symbol that you have focused on when the computer show every single symbol on that board at high speed. This is done faster that the eye could normally see.

Your eys can still pick out the image and your eye memery shows you the image you have been concentrating on.

gnilleps

I'm baffled.

I'm baffled by what both Max and MikeC must've done to be killfiled by so many people.

Assuming that's why people aren't reading their messages.

:P

Mike Carroll

> I'm baffled by what both Max and MikeC must've done to be killfiled by so many people.

> Assuming that's why people aren't reading their messages.

Gnilleps, it just proves what I've always said regarding the "paranormal": people just don't want to know the truth!

-- Mike the mystic

Max Kon

they obviously think we are trying to repress the truth with our new fangled logic!

TordelBack

This is a fascinating thread!  Max'n'Mike spell it out clearly, but one more try for the still-confused:  

You cqn ONLY pick the symbol they show you.
 It coresponds it to all possible solutions of the equation (which are multiples of 9).  
They just change which symbol it is each time.
Honest.

Jocklet

That first one is still fdreaky.

Here's how I think it keeps coming up with the exact same symbol that correspond to the number you pick.

When you look at the RED symbol for about ten seconds it gets burned into the retinas of your eye.

Your eyes remember the symbol that you have focused on when the computer show every single symbol on that board at high speed. This is done faster that the eye could normally see.

Your eys can still pick out the image and your eye memery shows you the image you have been concentrating on.

There, you're wrong. Look at my previous reply, and you'll see:

The first one's obvious.
As Tex Hex says, you instinctively put the cursor over your icon.
Like, when I moved my mouds way out of the game screen, it just chose the one which was closest to the cursor - the one directly above it.

Max Kon

ok, try this:
chose your number, then when it shows the screen put your mouse over a number with a different symbol (make sure it's different). now, by your theory the other symbol will show up. But it will still pick the symbol for your number.
But it will still show the symbol for the number you chose, proving the mouse thing inncorrect.

TordelBack

Max, you've fought a good campaign for the side of logic, retreat now in good order with your honour intact.  Stay and fight and the forces of chaos will surely consume you!

A final rearguard action:
No burnt retinas are involved (although it is a bloody ingenious idea).
No sub-conscious mouse usage is involved either.
This is what happens:
THE ARITHEMETIC GAME IS FIXED SO YOU MUST ALWAYS END UP WITH A MULTIPLE OF NINE.
EACH TIME YOU PLAY ALL THE SYMBOLS BESIDE MULTIPLES OF NINE ARE THE SAME.  
TRY IT:  HAVE A LOOK AT WHAT SYMBOL IS BESIDE 0, 9, 18, 27, 36, 45, 54, 63, 72 etc.
THE ONLY THING THAT CHANGES FROM GAME TO GAME IS WHICH SYMBOL IS BESIDE ALL THOSE MULTIPLES OF NINE, AND THUS WHICH SYMBOL IS SHOWN.

Right, covering fire, pull back to the landing craft....  We'll nuke 'em from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.