Main Menu

HBO Watchmen

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 08 May, 2019, 11:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackmocco

On that note, I have a question:

Spoilers lurk beyond...

[spoiler]Now that Lindelof has given his origin for Hooded Justice, I find myself somewhat surprised the costume's imagery never struck me as racial in nature before. Not being an American, I'd previously - innocently - assumed the costume's elements were reflecting a more general executioner's hood with noose, but of course that imagery has always had a far different connotation when applied to US history and Lindelof's take on it is a perfectly legitimate one. My gut says Moore and Gibbons probably didn't have that extra weight in mind when concocting the original book and designs but Watchmen has a lot to say about America and its culture too, so now I'm finding it hard to shake off the notion there's something more there. Moore's more than learned enough to have considered those visuals and what they meant to America.
[/spoiler]
Man, after all these years, I actually have a question to ask him that might not insult his intelligence. (Like he'd answer a question about a Watchmen TV spin-off is about as likely as me hanging out with him in the first place. Humor me.) Any thoughts...?
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

shaolin_monkey

Damn, if I had said "If this turns out well I'll eat my hat" then I'd be eating my hat now.

I'm really enjoying this.

radiator

The little tidbits I've heard about the show - something about a [spoiler]superhero reality TV show[/spoiler] and a [spoiler]Dr Manhattan dildo[/spoiler] - sound, on the face of it, really crass and stupid and would ordinarily put me off watching the show completely. But on the strength of the reception it's getting here and elsewhere I'll have to give it watch.

moogie101

Quote from: radiator on 27 November, 2019, 07:41:16 PM
The little tidbits I've heard about the show - something about a [spoiler]superhero reality TV show[/spoiler] and a [spoiler]Dr Manhattan dildo[/spoiler] - sound, on the face of it, really crass and stupid and would ordinarily put me off watching the show completely. But on the strength of the reception it's getting here and elsewhere I'll have to give it watch.

Like any shows there's a few things you could take out of context & deride a show for, but its well worth a watch. Like many on here I stubbornly watched the first episode expecting to hate it but instead its a really strong show & one of the few things on at the moment that I genuinely look forward to.

blackmocco

Quote from: radiator on 27 November, 2019, 07:41:16 PM

If that's your reasoning for avoiding it you're seriously missing out, mate.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Radbacker

Big reveal in the latest episode, hinted at previously but still pretty stand out moment in the series.  Nice misleads with the swapping of the possible villain now becoming our possible saviour and original villain being revealed as the real villain of that makes sense.
[spoiler]I thought 7th Cavalry were a red hearing and Lady Triu being the true baddy of the piece but it turns out 7th cav are just a bunch of racist bad guys who want Doc Manhattans power to tip the balance back to how it should be and Lady Triu trying to stop them though no doubt it will be a bit more complicated than that, do you think her dad is Ozy, still not sure where his story is heading though as confirmed last night his story is not running in the same time frame as the main story, is it possible he's already back and was that unmentioned fireball that landed in the farm a couple of weeks ago??[/spoiler]
Great series up there with Mandalorian as best series this year.

CU Radbacker

ming

Really enjoying this; didn't go in with any expectations or pre-judgement and it's been a very enjoyable series so far.  Makes me want a Top Ten series now, but I'll happily settle for a re-read.

blackmocco

Quote from: Radbacker on 03 December, 2019, 03:07:40 AM
Big reveal in the latest episode, hinted at previously but still pretty stand out moment in the series.  Nice misleads with the swapping of the possible villain now becoming our possible saviour and original villain being revealed as the real villain of that makes sense.
[spoiler]I thought 7th Cavalry were a red hearing and Lady Triu being the true baddy of the piece but it turns out 7th cav are just a bunch of racist bad guys who want Doc Manhattans power to tip the balance back to how it should be and Lady Triu trying to stop them though no doubt it will be a bit more complicated than that, do you think her dad is Ozy, still not sure where his story is heading though as confirmed last night his story is not running in the same time frame as the main story, is it possible he's already back and was that unmentioned fireball that landed in the farm a couple of weeks ago??[/spoiler]
Great series up there with Mandalorian as best series this year.

CU Radbacker

There are plenty of internet opinions forming a cluster around the notion that [spoiler]Edward Blake might be her father courtesy of his time in Vietnam[/spoiler]...

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Proudhuff

Okay, I'll bite, how can we see this? for those of us who dont do HBO?
DDT did a job on me

Bolt-01

hhmmm, well I see it through my SKY pack, but I would imagine that NOW TV will have it shortly as well.

And it really is that good (or it has been to now - [spoiler]there was a moment for me in the last episode that could well signal the jumping of the shark if handled badly[/spoiler])

Pyroxian

Quote from: Proudhuff on 03 December, 2019, 03:04:08 PM
Okay, I'll bite, how can we see this? for those of us who dont do HBO?

I'm watching it through Now TV

TordelBack

Quote from: ming on 03 December, 2019, 01:39:02 PM
Makes me want a Top Ten series now, but I'll happily settle for a re-read.

Top Ten would make a great TV series, finally doable technically and also slap bang in the zeitgeist. Others crave Halo Jones Book IV or a comprehensible end to Promethea, I  just want a Moore-penned Top Ten Season 2. As it was ABC, does that mean Moore holds the rights and might deign to be involved, or did the DC takeover and 'Marvel Douche' fiasco screw that up too? I don't remember,  but looking at the execrable LoEG movie,  I'm assuming the latter.

radiator

My memory is hazy, but didn't DC basically buy out Wildstorm to get its hands on The ABC stuff? I seem to remember that there was some kind of exception for LOEG, though.

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 03 December, 2019, 09:05:48 PM
My memory is hazy, but didn't DC basically buy out Wildstorm to get its hands on The ABC stuff? I seem to remember that there was some kind of exception for LOEG, though.

That resonates with my even more hazy memories.

wedgeski

Another barn-stormer. In a decade of brilliant television this is right up there and if it sticks the landing, will go down as one of the greats. As you can tell, I'm quite the fan.