Main Menu

Johnny Nemo- the movie?

Started by johnnystress, 16 February, 2005, 06:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnystress

Is this old news? Cos its the first I heard if it!

This is how someone on ebay describes this Johnny Nemo book;

"A compendium of Johnny Nemo stories, including the "Spice of Death" series which was made into "Strange Days" the movie."

Strange Days-Los Angeles, December 30, 1999 -- The eve of the Millenium. In the digital underground of the violent and chaotic city, human experience is bought and sold as the newest form of illicit entertainment. Meet Lenny Nero -- street hustler, ex-cop, panhandler of stolen dreams.

Johnny Nemo/Lenny Nero?

Link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35775&item=6511950054&rd=1&ssPageName=WD2V" target="_blank">Nemo/Strange Days

johnnystress

..should this be in the film/tv thread?

i have my doubts about this new board malarkey

gnilleps

First I've heard either, but then I'm only aware of Nemo from old deadlines. Nothing on imdb about Strange Days (the film) seems to mention this (though people mention influences and being ripped of from, William Gibson and one of the colour Twilight Zone episodes etc.)
More curious about Nemo was this snippet from The Friday Review on Ninth Art...
"He first appeared in the mid-eighties in the pages of the anthology STRANGE DAYS, published in the US by Eclipse, which was followed by a short-lived solo series. Most readers, including myself, first encountered him in seminal UK fashion/music/comics magazine DEADLINE, which first appeared in 1988"

johnnystress

curious

Strange Days was an indie comic/magazine from pre-Deadline days

Brendan MacCarthy did stuff in it and that's all i know on the subject!
Perhaps some more learned boarder can fill us in?

Strange co-incidence  the movie having the same title..?

Art

Sounds a bit unlikey. And Milligan would more than likely have mentioned it himself - a CV of his for use in the movie industrty weas floating around on the web a while back, and I'm sure he would have mentioned it there. Still, an interesting set of near-coincidences...

CraveNoir

Strange Days was a three issue anthology series  published by Eclipse in 1984. It showcased Pete Milligan, Brendan McCarthy, and Brett Ewins (and Tom Frame). The first issue strips were Freakwave, Tales from the 4th Dimension, Johnny Nemo, Krazy Foam, and Paradax (which got its own comic in 1987).

Johnny Nemo appeared in his own (6 issue) comic in 1985. 'The Spice of Death' story ran in the first two issues and features a Dream Scanner which is used to suck the memories from dead peoples' brains, and death junkies who get a kick out of vitually experiencing their violent deaths.

I remember reading (probably in Speakeasy) about Johnny Nemo being in pre-production hell back in the 80s. The Strange Days film and 'Spice of Death' story may have similar themes, but that's it.

Art

Phuz

I know that the ?Strange Days? comic by Peter Millgan, Brendan McCarthy and Brett Ewins was named after the John Lennon song 'Strange Days Indeed'

And ?Strange Days? the Film takes it?s name (I think) from the Jim Morrison/Doors song, ?Strange Days?

But that?s about the only similarity.

You can read more about Strange Days on my Brendan McCarthy website here:

http://www.2000ad.nu/brendan-mccarthy/comicwork/strange-days.htm

Link: http://www.2000ad.nu/brendan-mccarthy/comicwork/strange-days.htm" target="_blank">http://www.2000ad.nu/brendan-mccarthy/comicwork/strange-days.htm

johnnystress

great site Phuz! any news on Brendan MacCarthys book?

GordonR

For shame!  He's missed out his writing work on Crossroads.  (No, seriously.  I'm pretty sure about this...)

And his uncredited re-write work on the Tank Girl movie.

Dunk!

I'd heard Pete Milligan worked on Crossroads.

Didn't make me watch, but would have loved to have seen a Milligan episode.

Yeah Phuz, any more info on the book?
"Trust we"

WoD

Off topic to this thread...but was I the only one spooked by carnivore's icon?

Bolt-01

You never noticed that before?

Bolt-01