Main Menu

Time for a pint. Anyone for a Feb McShed?

Started by Tiplodocus, 27 January, 2006, 06:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

I fancy getting ratted and talking about comics.

In Scotland.

Probably Glasgow but I swing both ways these days so Edinburgh might also be doable.

Anybody fancy it?

I suggest a Friday or a Saturday evening and for once, I think my calendar is fairly free.

So start suggesting dates please.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

I'm up to Issue 2 of Supes and 3 of Batman.

This is fairly spoiler free.

I'm enjoying them both but for pretty different reasons.

I can't quite believe just how good it is to read Grant Morrison getting his hands on DCs Crown Jewel and he's done a fabulous job. Even Issue 2 which is pretty much talking heads is positively brimming with ideas and twists.

And top marks to the art team of Quietly and Grant  - I find the colouring absolutely fabulous.  There's a brilliant understated splash (if you can have such a thing) of the Fortress of Solitude and the colours in the sky in the background are absolutely perfect. I think a less confident person might have overdone it and plastered the whole sky with colour but this just looked beautiful and believable.

All Star Batman is diametrically opposed to this - it's all in your face, decompressed to the max (six pages of our bountifully breasted, big buttocked heroine getting hacked off before erupting) and, worth pointing out more than once, features women whose breasts are larger than their head.  

I don't buy many American comics so it actually makes a happy change for me to see muscular (and so detailed) art from Jim Lee.

Miller seems to be writing almost as a parody of himself but I still like his harder than hard boiled schtick and he does come up with gems like what happens to the newspaper when shhh-you-know-who gets annoyed.  Not sure how this is all going to hang together though.

The last thing I read before this was THE FILTH and WE3 so my head is still swimming from the contrast...

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dudley

Love to.

Any Friday or Saturday would be great.  I think the Trout is due to spawn round about then so it might be worth setting a date early-ish in the month?  How about the 10th?

Helpmaboab.

Satanist

Ya sasanachs! Think ye kin turn up in oor glorious land and shag oor wimmin and drink oor beer! Nae mair ah say, Nae mair!

Ahem...

I'll be up for that but might be going down to London later in the month (Just to see how your wimmin & beer like it).
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

GordonR

Well, I think it should be in Edinburgh, and since I'm 'famed'(copyright, Edge magazine) then that's that settled then.

Dudley

Edinburgh's fine by me.  Where's a nice pub not too far from the train station?  

Satanist

Burke & Hare? I hear thats quite a lively place.

Trout

Gagh! I've taken the pledge, I'm afraid.

Sproglet's not due until the end of March, but I've been drinking ludicrous amounts lately and I've been feeling generally shit.

I'll keep an eye out here, in the hope I can come along for a sob! Coke...

Er, crivvens.

- Trout

The Enigmatic Dr X

I should make it as long as it isn't the 24th (baby's birthday)
Lock up your spoons!

[YT-2]

Make it a Saturday and I'll consider popping along.

Dudley

Trout

Sadly, it's a "no" from me this time. But have fun!

Satanist

Proudhuff

I DON"T BELIEVE IT!!The 11th is the one day I'm oot of Edinbra!!

almost any other day would do... hint hint

Grrrr Huff
DDT did a job on me

I, Cosh

Surprised to see how Scottocentric this board is.

Is this an invitation only bash or can any sad loner with an eerie glint in his eye turn up?
We never really die.