Main Menu

Read a comic for the art - Camelot 3000

Started by Magnetica, 12 March, 2017, 04:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Angelino

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 March, 2017, 11:05:47 AM
Alan Davis worked with Mike W Barr on Batman and the Outsiders (or whatever version of that name it was running under at that time) before moving to Detective Comics (as I recall). Wasn't there quite a gap between him leaving Detective and starting Excalibur, which was late 80s? Not quite sure what he did inbetween but remember a load of lush X-Men type annuals by him during that period?

His Detective was in the late 80's too, about 1987. The Excalibur "Sword is Drawn" one shot was also published in 1987 as, I think, his first Uncanny X-Men issues and the Annual. My apologies for bringing Alan Davis in to a Brian Bolland thread.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 13 March, 2017, 06:11:34 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 March, 2017, 11:05:47 AM
Alan Davis worked with Mike W Barr on Batman and the Outsiders (or whatever version of that name it was running under at that time) before moving to Detective Comics (as I recall). Wasn't there quite a gap between him leaving Detective and starting Excalibur, which was late 80s? Not quite sure what he did inbetween but remember a load of lush X-Men type annuals by him during that period?

His Detective was in the late 80's too, about 1987. The Excalibur "Sword is Drawn" one shot was also published in 1987 as, I think, his first Uncanny X-Men issues and the Annual. My apologies for bringing Alan Davis in to a Brian Bolland thread.

Arh that'd explain that. I could have sworn Davis' run on Detective was earlier than that, about 1984/5 or something and Sword is Drawn 1988... to comics.org...

And sorry to keep Mr Davis in a Mr Bolland thread. Mind it could be a Mr Barr thread

Colin YNWA

And not for the first time I'm proved to be utterly wrong!

Yep Davis' run on Detective ends mid 1987. I thought there was a gap between it and the Jim Baike Two Face story just prior to Grant and Breyfogle's seminal run... I was wrong. The only gap is a certain Todd McFarlane finishing Year 2.

Then he's almost straight onto Sword is Drawn end 1987.

So Tony Angelino wins on both counts...

... I'll hand in my nerd badge on the way out...

... yes I'll slip out the back door...

Tony Angelino

Alan Davis was probably the first 2000AD artist I saw in a US comic.

It would have been Uncanny X-Men #215 (in 1987) and I remember the artist's name seemed familiar but it didn't initially register with me that it was him.  I think it was because his art was in colour while I had always been used to seeing his stuff in black and white. It just didn't click with me until some time after who he was. It was inked by someone else as well which probably didn't help.

I'm pretty sure I bought it in Harry Hall's second hand bookshop in Belfast. For a while it was one of the few places in Northern Ireland to get new Marvel or DC comics. Any other shops were always months behind.

I don't remember seeing stuff like Camelot 3000 and Watchmen until they were collected in trade format so I missed out on the early US work of Bolland and Gibbons. 

Bolt-01

Tony- X-men (Uncanny) 215 was, from memory, the one with the big fight with Sabretooth where Psylocke was involved? That was inked by Paul Neary. Neary inked an awful lot of Alan Davis early american work, they went back as far as the Batman and the Outsiders issues.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 12 March, 2017, 10:41:15 PM
Sorry, I was joking as Brian is infamous for being incredibly slow.

I liked the comment by John McCrea in the Meg about Dredd mega-epics (paraphrased) "usually there'd be a couple of McMahon episodes, one Bolland  and then Ron Smith would do six!"

Magnetica

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the whole mega rackets series was done purely to give Bolland more time to do Judge Death Lives. Although strangely he seemed to find the time to do a couple of covers for it (Progs 215 & 216). Plus he also did 213 which was a different one off and an Anderson pin-up.

Tony Angelino

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 14 March, 2017, 01:10:56 PM
Tony- X-men (Uncanny) 215 was, from memory, the one with the big fight with Sabretooth where Psylocke was involved? That was inked by Paul Neary. Neary inked an awful lot of Alan Davis early american work, they went back as far as the Batman and the Outsiders issues.

No I know the one you mean with the big close up of Wolverine and Sabretooth's faces on the front. That was more recognisably Alan's work straight off. The one I'm talking about was inked by Dan Green.

Tony Angelino

The Sabretooth one was #213 but #215 was the first Davis one that I remember buying.