Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Quote from: sauchie on 22 April, 2014, 04:54:30 PM
Quote from: Banners on 21 April, 2014, 10:29:57 PM
People obstructively queueing at petrol stations, because they haven't yet realised that the hoses on petrol pumps are cleverly designed to be long enough to reach both sides of your car

(draws knife across palm and presses hand into yours) You and I are brothers now, Banners.

Then you'll love this. Canadian MP will lose her seat over this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/04/03/eve-adams-carwash-gas-station_n_5084659.html

Dandontdare

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 22 April, 2014, 04:44:00 PM
Just thought of another one which I observed while on a train with my parents the other day.
People on public transport who put large bags or cases beside them, when the train is busy.   I had a seat and so did my folks, but a lot of people were desperately trying to find one while some ignorant sack of shit made no effort to move his bag (taking advantage of most people's tendency to move on further down the train rather than make trouble).
My Dad, fair play to him, pointed a few stressed-looking seat-seekers towards the case-occupied seat, but nobody asked him to move it so the horrible little piece of dirt got to keep that all-important second seat to himself for the whole four-hour journey.

I just tell 'em to shift it. If they refuse, get the guard (or whatever they're called these days - transport facilitation executives or somesuch). If the people searching were too 'British' ("best not make a fuss") to consider asking him to move it, they deserve to stand.

radiator

Quote from: Dandontdare on 22 April, 2014, 07:00:33 PM
Just thought of another one which I observed while on a train with my parents the other day.
People on public transport who put large bags or cases beside them, when the train is busy.   I had a seat and so did my folks, but a lot of people were desperately trying to find one while some ignorant sack of shit made no effort to move his bag (taking advantage of most people's tendency to move on further down the train rather than make trouble).
My Dad, fair play to him, pointed a few stressed-looking seat-seekers towards the case-occupied seat, but nobody asked him to move it so the horrible little piece of dirt got to keep that all-important second seat to himself for the whole four-hour journey.

I just tell 'em to shift it. If they refuse, get the guard (or whatever they're called these days - transport facilitation executives or somesuch). If the people searching were too 'British' ("best not make a fuss") to consider asking him to move it, they deserve to stand.

I see where you're coming from, but at the same time, if I did that I'd probably find the following 4-hour train journey sitting next to the person I'd just grassed up unbearably awkward.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dandontdare on 22 April, 2014, 07:00:33 PM

I just tell 'em to shift it.

Well, me too.  I already had a seat in this case, and I wasn't about to speak on someone else's behalf (though I kind of wanted to).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

It's not so bad is the train is consistently half empty or less, but when it's rush hour theirs no excuse.

The Enigmatic Dr X

As a regular - sometimes four times a day - commuter, this really pisses me off. However, as I am a contrary bugger, I make a point of sitting in the seat rather than taking a free one.

I don't do so if it means I get two seats to myself, but if it is a choice between taking an empty seat beside a stranger or making a stranger move their bag, I go for the latter because most people don't have the brass neck to do so.

My favourite exchange:

ME: "May I sit there please?" (Passive agreesive and polite)

HER: "My bag is there."

ME: "Does it have a ticket?"

HER: -----

ME: "Only, because I do."

She then moved it.
Lock up your spoons!

Fungus

You are contrary, and beyond reproach in that exchange  :)

radiator

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 22 April, 2014, 11:03:46 PM
As a regular - sometimes four times a day - commuter, this really pisses me off. However, as I am a contrary bugger, I make a point of sitting in the seat rather than taking a free one.

I don't do so if it means I get two seats to myself, but if it is a choice between taking an empty seat beside a stranger or making a stranger move their bag, I go for the latter because most people don't have the brass neck to do so.
Definitely one of my favourite things to do too.
We never really die.

Krakajac

Ads on TV for 'final expenses' insurance (aka funeral costs).  Normally narrated by an older person, attempting to lay a saccharine-coated guilt trip on the viewer.

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Equally annoying as the bag thing is when, on a busy commuter train, a person sits on the aisle seat leaving an empty seat by the window. 

I appreciate that some people may need to sit in the ailse seat to stretch legs for medical reasons or they feel too hot in the window seats and therefore don't just shuffle to the window when they see the train getting crowded.

But why, when you ask them to sit at the empty seat, do they look at you as if you have asked them to donate a lung or kidney?.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Doctor Alt 8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPUjjhO_DpU

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 23 April, 2014, 01:51:32 PM
Equally annoying as the bag thing is when, on a busy commuter train, a person sits on the aisle seat leaving an empty seat by the window. 

I appreciate that some people may need to sit in the ailse seat to stretch legs for medical reasons or they feel too hot in the window seats and therefore don't just shuffle to the window when they see the train getting crowded.

But why, when you ask them to sit at the empty seat, do they look at you as if you have asked them to donate a lung or kidney?.

This.

Nice bit of Ben Elton stuff there: I used to like him a lot, but these days, well, I'm afraid I'm fighting with Stewart Lee Block.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ZIdyd3rjg

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

When people treat ethicaly concious people like a joke. Someone I know just shared a picture likening feminism to a pandemic. Muppet.