Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 03 November, 2015, 09:13:13 AM
Quote from: radiator on 03 November, 2015, 03:00:12 AM
I love drawing, but trying to capture a likeness of someone makes me want to claw my own eyes out with frustration. It's so bloody hard i honestly don't know how people do it. One wrong misplaced line and it all goes down the shitter. Often, best-case scenario is the resulting drawing ends up looking like an unintentionally mean caricature.
This is why I have decided to avoid going for realism with any picture I draw in my free time. Realism can be taught over time and with many a life drawing class, finding your style and what works for you should take priority.

With That beind said, i'm still completely shit so my advice is best not taken! :lol:

I should clarify - capturing a likeness in a 'realistic' drawing is tough, but i can usually manage it. Where things get really difficult for me is trying to translate that to my own drawing style, which is quite sparse and i have to adhere to certain 'rules'. You have to really boil down someones features while subtly exaggerating some of them - all well and good when you're trying to draw someone famous with an unmistakably iconic look - infinitely harder if your subject is quite ordinary looking and their defining features are much harder to nail down. I suppose this is why most celebrity cameos look only passably like themselves on The Simpsons, for example.

I also agree with Fungus - you're only going to have a chance at it if you have a decent grounding in life drawing.

Hawkmumbler

Some scumbag on Facebook (some toss rag I knew in high school and should have unfriended long ago) just appeared out of the blue with a long post deffending the 1st Para's actions on Bloody sunday. Absolutely fucking disgusting, and promptly unfriended.

TordelBack

I didn't think even the Paras did that anymore.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I suppose this was related to the story that one of those paras murderers was arrested earlier this week?
You may quote me on that.

Hawkmumbler

Yes, though I believe he has since been released on bail. Multiple eye witness account point to him having shot and killed three protesters, as young as 19, and injured another attemtping to rescue a victem.

Make's my blood boil anyone could deffend the farce as anything other than a act of illegal force.

Old Tankie

As suspected IRA  killers get nice letters.

Hawkmumbler

Their was no evidence that the victims where IRA killers.nit was a piecful demonstration. None of the victems had criminal records amounting to anything other than minor scuffles, most where completely innocent. Stop apologising for a major military blunder that the cunts refuse to apologise for.

Old Tankie

Calm down, I'm not referring to what you are.

ZenArcade

Not the best day Ireland ever had thats for sure, but let Justice take its course. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 12 November, 2015, 06:29:04 PM
Their was no evidence that the victims where IRA killers.nit was a piecful demonstration. None of the victems had criminal records amounting to anything other than minor scuffles, most where completely innocent. Stop apologising for a major military blunder that the cunts refuse to apologise for.
This was a knee jerk reaction on a very touchy subject. I should never have exploded like that, I apologise, Tankie.

Old Tankie

Quote from: Old Tankie on 12 November, 2015, 06:38:34 PM
Calm down, I'm not referring to what you are.

Yes, that's called whataboutery. It's not very constructive, and the main reason The Stormont Assembly lurches from crisis to crisis.

It's like two people trapped in a lift together, who used to argue about who farted, until one day, both sides concede that they both farted.

Then they started arguing about whose smells the worst.

Except it's not farts. It's mayhem, maiming and murder. At least farts are funny.

Old Tankie

Professor Bear

You only think that the murder and mayhem of the Troubles wasn't funny because the only comedy show to come out of it was Give My Head Peace.

Quote from: Scolaighe Ó'Bear on 13 November, 2015, 12:39:05 AM
You only think that the murder and mayhem of the Troubles wasn't funny because the only comedy show to come out of it was The Nolan Show.

FTFY