Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 19 January, 2019, 10:27:47 PM
I actually thought he'd died years ago, but in a way I'm happy to hear he reached a nice age.

You and me both - definitely in the 'they were still alive?' camp - glad he seems to have had a happy retirement.

sheridan

David Pugh just posted this on facebook:
Vicente Vano Ibarra (1947–2006) half of the Vanyo brother's team, Wolfie Smith and Dredd.

Mardroid

Quote from: sheridan on 19 January, 2019, 01:18:14 PM
Windsor Davies, 88.

Aw. Loved the video in that article. Thanks for posting. First time I encountered it, I think. Mind you... year of my birth, maybe I just don't remember, or hadn't , erm, popped out yet. The other chap has a genuinely lovely voice too.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Mardroid on 25 January, 2019, 08:44:43 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 19 January, 2019, 01:18:14 PM
Windsor Davies, 88.

Aw. Loved the video in that article. Thanks for posting. First time I encountered it, I think. Mind you... year of my birth, maybe I just don't remember, or hadn't , erm, popped out yet. The other chap has a genuinely lovely voice too.

Whenever I think of those two, it takes me back to my starring role in the primary school Christmas play when I was 8 - for some reason, the play opened with a recording of that song which was in the charts at the time.

The Legendary Shark

Weren't they part of the Wispa Bar whisper ad campaign as well? Or did I dream it?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

M.I.K.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 25 January, 2019, 11:05:56 PM

Weren't they part of the Wispa Bar whisper ad campaign as well? Or did I dream it?

Think so. No.

Windsor Davies did another advert a few years later for Wispa Gold with his earlier self, (and that one's on YouTube).

The Legendary Shark

Just watched series 1 of It Ain't Half Hot Mum, after not having seen an episode for decades, and his Sergeant Major Williams is still a wonderful character.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

It Aint Half Hot is such a product of its time, which is a shame, as between the trappings of the period where some genuinely brilliant bits of comedy gold.

The Legendary Shark

I've just found out that a man I've known all my life, who was a friend of my Dad's and whom I've worked for on and off for over forty years, an awkward, contradistinctive, opinionated and prickly old bastard much like myself, committed suicide this morning.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 30 January, 2019, 09:39:47 PM

I've just found out that a man I've known all my life, who was a friend of my Dad's and whom I've worked for on and off for over forty years, an awkward, contradistinctive, opinionated and prickly old bastard much like myself, committed suicide this morning.

Sorry to hear that, Shark.  I've been through the experience of losing friends to suicide too many times.  I can only imagine how much the feelings are amplified when the person has been a friend of the family, workmate and part of your life for so long.

Bolt-01

Ah, my sincere condolences Shark.

Professor Bear

Sorry to hear about that, Sharky, but please don't read anything into it beyond that this can be a difficult time of year for those with mental health issues.

paddykafka

Very sorry to hear of your friend's passing, Sharkey. Take care and all the best.

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, chaps.

It turns out he'd been diagnosed with terminal cancer and had only weeks to live. He's always been an active man - indeed, he made it into the Guinness Book of Records for achieving the fastest time from Land's End to John O'Groats on a penny farthing and was always cycling about locally, though he gave up riding the penny farthing a few years ago.

When I first learned of his suicide I was shocked, it just didn't seem to fit with his personality, but learning about the cancer makes perfect sense. He always dealt with life on his own terms so it follows that he'd deal with death in the same way. He locked his wife in the house then went out and jumped into the farm's old irrigation pit.

That knowledge doesn't make his loss any less sad but now at least it doesn't feel so tragic.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Heath C Ackley

"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."