Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

That's a lush page Jack (and MacNiel), not surprised it's become your favourite. Thin paper's not a problem when you frame 'em  ;) My ABCs pages are on tracing paper as it happens, got the pencil roughs on normal paper too.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

hippynumber1

Quote from: Judge Jack on 29 July, 2012, 01:11:19 PM
Quote from: BOODA on 29 July, 2012, 08:26:15 AM
It may be flimsy paper but that's a damned strong page of art.

Im looking at it now, and i think this page is my new favourite. Really very happy to have This

If this means you no longer want your McMahon pages, I'd be happy to take them off your hands!  ;)

Judo

Very nice iain but wheres the pic of you holding it and lookng orgasmic?  hehe just kidding - lovely stuff, you must be very happy :) and wow i didnt realise paper made such a difference but yah fripp spending a fiver a sheet! x
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Spikes

Quote from: Judo on 29 July, 2012, 08:25:04 PM
wheres the pic of you holding it and lookng orgasmic?

Im much too shy for owt like that,  ;)

Judo

awww no posing in speedos draped over a car bonnet stroking the OA?  Or nothing but a dredd mask lololol?  I don't have any comic OA but I guarantee if I ever get any the entire board will be a cranking x

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Cpt Rhodes

I've a nice new shiny mobile phone with camera (my first mobile phone, I've held out a long time) So here's a splurge of shots of some of the 2000ad originals I've collected over the years.

Classic Colin MacNeil artwork

Picked up this Bolland page in '94 in London

The back of the Bolland page has a quick sketch of Judge fear's helmet

Bubba Zebill

Just my opinion but I happen to think this page and the story 'Judge Death Lives' is one of the finest comic book story sequences I've ever seen - of any comic. That is a wonderful page of work.

Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Spikes

Seconded. Now, for me, when it comes to who is the definitive Dredd artist, im solidly with the McMahon block, but im also firmly of the opinion that what Brian produced on this, represents THE best art ever on a Dredd story. Congrats on owning this, Alex.

Fatboydale

Great page .... fancy a swap ?? lol

Cpt Rhodes

If I could have any page of Mike McMahon's art it would have been from the Judge Child Quest.
Monkey Business at Charles Darwin Block is a close second though. Picked this one up around the same time as the Bolland page in the mid 90's

Spikes

^ A very sweet page that, Alex. And from such a brilliant story as well - love that second panel with the transformed judges!

(Ive recently managed to grab a page from this story myself, so i know how nice these look up close).

SMUDGE10

Love both the Bolland and McMahon pages. Lovely stuff.

Gotta be the best period for 2000 art. Can't see it being beaten....
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
― Christopher Hitchens

opaque

I find the older artwork to be totally 'done'. As in what you see is it. The lines are exactly as you see in the prog. I guess slightly easier when you are talking about only publishing in black and white though. Nothing wrong with that atall (especially such an epic story as those two) just that there is a difference.

Modern artwork when you see it is often multi-layered and more complicated or involved (and with the consequence that the quality is often not shown off in print) but even when it's black and white it seems very different when you see the real thing compared to the print.

Owning original artwork gets to show you exactly what the artists are capable of. I know I've been surprised at the exquisite quality of the work when a new piece arrives compared to what I saw in 2000ad/Megazine :)

hippynumber1

I know exactly what you mean! It doesn't matter how good your camera/scanner is it NEVER does justice to the page itself - some of the colour pages I have are absolutely stunning and beautifully detailed!

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: SMUDGE10 on 05 August, 2012, 05:25:02 PM
Love both the Bolland and McMahon pages. Lovely stuff.

Gotta be the best period for 2000 art. Can't see it being beaten....

I think so too. Those two artists couldn't be more different, or bettered. Wonderful work and I couldn't get enough of it back in the day. Hats off to the editors who were crazy enough to allow 2000AD artists to take things in so many unique directions.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105