Main Menu

Another 80's cartoon to be pimped at the box-office

Started by JOE SOAP, 28 September, 2013, 05:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Mabs

This used to be my favourite show growing up in the 80's, alongside Ulysses and Thundercats! I bought the entire run on DVD a year back and rewatched it all from the first episode to the last. Ah, nostalgia....

As for this news, well not too keen on the idea to be honest. Still early days, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for it.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

JamesC

Now, Thundercats and Ulysses 31 were great but Cities of Bloody Gold, Willie Fog and Belle and Sebastian (which I think we're all from the same studio) were painfully boring!

Simon Beigh

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 September, 2013, 05:44:02 PM

The Mysterious Cities of Gold

Congratulations to this team for producing possibly the worst "teaser" trailer in history. And it's only Part 1 as well. How many parts are they making?

I also felt "80 Days Around the World" and "Cities of Gold" I 'endured' more than 'enjoyed' as a child. And I can still hear the bloody theme tune in my head as well :)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JamesC on 28 September, 2013, 06:13:08 PM
Now, Thundercats and Ulysses 31 were great but Cities of Bloody Gold, Willie Fog and Belle and Sebastian (which I think we're all from the same studio) were painfully boring!

I'll take Ulysses 31, dump the rest, including that campfest Thundercats.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SimeonB on 28 September, 2013, 06:17:52 PM
Congratulations to this team for producing possibly the worst "teaser" trailer in history. And it's only Part 1 as well. How many parts are they making?

I've seen worse. It's required - under UN law - that all franchises be trilogies, at least.

Simon Beigh

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 September, 2013, 06:27:52 PM

I've seen worse. It's required - under UN law - that all franchises be trilogies, at least.

Really JOE? Blimey, they must have been crap... A spinning gold coin and a voice over man sounding like a parody of a voice over man quoting random Hollywood phrases. Honestly, I thought he was going to burst out laughing at any minute...

Spikes

Enough of the 80's already. What happened to the 90's revival - did it get cancelled?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Judge Jack on 28 September, 2013, 08:25:54 PM
Enough of the 80's already. What happened to the 90's revival - did it get cancelled?

It was shite.

Professor Bear

That teaser is so generic it could be fan-made, and using the name of the pilot episode reinforces that notion.
MCoG was a fave as a nipper even if the dub was a bit painful, though I grant you anything would look good if it had to follow Johnny Briggs.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 28 September, 2013, 10:16:38 PM
That teaser is so generic it could be fan-made, and using the name of the pilot episode reinforces that notion.

It may as well be fan-made - not a frame of any film has been shot - but it's up to the standard of the BBC's Day of the Doctor teasers .

M.I.K.

I think it's more of an 'announcement' trailer, and they've recently made a second series of the cartoon, which is heading to English-speaking-land next year, so the sequels might actually take their cue from newer stuff.

Quote from: Judge Jack on 28 September, 2013, 08:25:54 PM
Enough of the 80's already.

How about the late 1970s instead?

Frank

Quote from: M.I.K. on 29 September, 2013, 03:54:16 PM
How about the late 1970s instead?

Aren't they always remaking Battle of the Planets? The question of Zoltar's ambiguous gender seems to have been resolved fairly definitively, judging by that clip. That resulted in more cognitive dissonance for the wee me than the world's most beautiful and feminine Monk, Tripitaka.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

Frank

I wonder if they all still play in a band to unwind in this version? Wikipedia informs me that the original cartoon had loads of kinky sexual deviance and violence, which had to be edited out and replaced with comedy robots in the Western version, and that Keyop didn't have the John's Not Mad mannerisms either.