Main Menu

Favourite Art Droid CLASSIC - POOL 6 Qualifying

Started by Colin YNWA, 26 October, 2020, 06:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddykafka

ming

Not too much thinking needed to plump for Simon Bisley and Bryan Talbot, although I'm sad to not be able to have four or so votes this round.  In an ideal world, Jim Baikie should be in there but the impact of Bisley and Talbot outweighs the rest for me...

Greg M.

Having used one of his panels as my avatar for the best part of a decade, I will of course vote for the late, great Jim Baikie. The other vote is for Bryan Talbot, who really knew how to draw a bunch of weirdos having a conversation on a beach. Not to mention Anthrax Ghoulshadow, B. A.

JayzusB.Christ

Definitely Bisley - his Heavy Metal Dredd stuff was a bit rubbish, yes, but the ABCs and Sláine just blew my tiny mind at the time, and put 2000ad on the European continental map at least.

Now, Talbot or Baikie.  My grud, that's tough.  Talbot's Nemesis was amazing, but I'm thinking of the final few episodes of Oz, the Hit, and Skizz - I'm going to say Baikie and be damned.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 26 October, 2020, 01:51:08 PM
I'm going to say Baikie and be damned.

There is only salvation in voting Baikie I say.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

rogue69

Andy B

Bryan Talbot is an easy choice, but there are 4 or 5 others I could easily pick alongside him.

There's something I just like about Jim Baikie, so he gets it. I think I'm biased against Bisley because of what we got in the 90s from people who tried to copy him. Not his fault, but sometimes life isn't fair! (Plus, Heavy Metal Dredd was awful.)

Link Prime

GoGilesGo

Bisley and Talbot.

Both responsible for reinventing and improving characters (Slaine / ABC Warriors / Torquemada) that we all thought were perfect the first time around.

sintec

Colin YNWA

Time ladies and gentlemen please, time in the thread. I think we've all had even Talbot and Bisley for one vote haven't we. Counting and closing this one in the morning and then I'll going to have a good long chat with you all!

I, Cosh

Pretty obvious who'll go through here and I'm not helping matters.

Bryan Talbot's Gothic Empire will always be etched into my mind and the way he suggests gore with more and more black ink was always amazing. Even if I might be mixing in some Luther Arkwright there.

Hard to deny the importance and quality of early Bisley but I'm ditching him for Barry Kitson entirely on the basis of Hour of the Wolf

Very much agree with this.
Quote from: BPP on 26 October, 2020, 10:18:07 AM
The Teague thing makes me sad - he produces such stellar work on Twitter day in day out. I know nothing about him but his ability is astounding and had he put together a body of work he'd easily get my vote.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Voting Closed but we need to make some things clear.

Now I know we said there were no right answers. I know we... well yes I said ... there's no point railing against the thoughts of others and yes yes there a clear consenous that the artist brave enough to take on Nemesis after one of the most loved runs on a strip ever and absolutely nail in AND yes another arrtist changed the face of art in the comic and had a decade of emulation as his legacy should progress... but... but... well in this case that all wrong. The correct answer here is.

Jim Baikie and Shaky Kane. Got that... shall we move on. Well alright. I suspose as expected Qualifiers from this pool are... clearly (alas):

Bryan Talbot

Simomn Bisley