Main Menu

BARNEY Chat

Started by Wake, 18 December, 2008, 02:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wake

There must be a problem with the frames.  The first image you show is of the main frame. Since clicking back gets you the full frameset, somehow you are being forced to go to chatbody.php target=_parent

Bouwel

Sorry I can't be of more help. I've just the end of my html knowledge :)

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Wake

Well I've managed to get it doing the same thing to me now!

Wake

Okay -- I'm just going to say this in case someone more technically minded that me can work out what's going on.

In order to remove the borders around the frames, I used
BORDER=0 FRAMEBORDER=0 FRAMESPACING=0 in the frameset definitions.

However I removed them when trying to validate the document because they aren't part of the HTML 4.01 specifications. Removing them is what caused the chat room to start failing in my version of Firefox, because it started working again when I put them back.

My guess is that Bouwel is using a version of Firefox that doesn't understand these definitions. There is a key frame in the top right corner of the chat room, which may not have space to exist if it has a border round it. This may force it to appear in a blank window, and when it refreshed the main window that appears without frames. This small frame is the one that reloads every 5 seconds (or whatever) to see if the number of users or messages has changed. Making it larger or putting something visible in it might make it visible flicker on each refresh.

Bouwel, is there any chance you could upgrade your version of Firefox and try again? I'm using 3.0.5 and you have 3.0.4.

Cheers,

Wake

Bouwel

Ok, updated to the latest version of Firefox (so much for Firefox auto update!).

I can now log on and I do see a square box on the left hand side where your avatar was, so things seem to be working now :)

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

ukdane

I can see my username and icon now, although it didn't appear until after I posted my first message.
I'm using IE7.
Cheers

-Daney

ukdane

Why I posted a second message (and this could just be a coincidence) my icon and user name vanished. Also the "user" box looks different now to how it did before I posted my second message.
Cheers

-Daney

Wake

Thanks to some help from PVS, I've located the problem and fixed it. Please could you see whether it works okay now.