Main Menu

Meltdown Man

Started by Pegasus P Artichoke, 16 January, 2017, 09:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pegasus P Artichoke

just finished reading this and really enjoyed it

I had never seen it before or heard about it and picked it up from FP one pay day and I am thoroughly glad I did

Love the adventures with Stone, Gruff, T Bone and Liana as they go against Leeshar

But not just the main characters all the characters that are introduced are enjoyable and keep the story moving like Billy The Pup, Pole Axe and Tiger Commander

Seeing the humans and yujees slowly coming together for the common good was good and I liked how it never seemed rushed the story came together at a good steady speed for me

The art was fantastic throughout, the world really came alive thanks to it all the characters and settings looked great

All in all a fantastic read and worthy addition to my fledgling collection
We'll give them back their heroes

Trent

Never a favourite of mine, all a bit juvenile, but then the Prog was aimed at a younger audience back then.
My main beef was that it tied up Massimo for a year drawing people (never good) and animals (excellent but a little mundane).
His work on Flesh Book 2 and even Slaine showed how good he was at creatures and imaginary beasts. Meltdown Man always seemed a bit of a waste of his strengths.
I know many will disagree with me, just my opinion.

Pegasus P Artichoke

Ah I have only read Flesh and Slaine from their last few runs in the Prog

I think two for Flesh and one for Slaine and was a bit lost with them regarding what was going on to be honest

I have been tempted to grab some of the collected volumes from FP but not too sure where to start, especially with Slaine
We'll give them back their heroes

Tony Angelino

I'm of an age that I read it when it first appeared. I loved it and still do. I love the story and I think the art suits it perfectly. I also thought it would make a great movie. In those days it would have been a Dark Crystal type affair but these days it would be all CGI. 

People may complain about Belardinelli's art when it comes to drawing people but it never bothered me as a kid. When you compare his art now to some of the 'simplistic', undetailed art that I see these days it is still streets ahead. 

I do look at strips like with a huge amount of nostalgia though which may make them seem better than what someone coming in cold might think.

Colin YNWA

Read it fairly recently and have to say it didn't hold up. I really enjoyed it when it first appeared but as has been noted I think it was designed for younger readers. Its open ended nature and to be honest rambling means that for me it lacks the craft to hold up. My the end of the strip in my re-read it had become a real slog to get through.

IndigoPrime

I quite enjoyed it. The art's great and the story's fun, if basic in nature. The one thing I found apparent is that it was an ongoing, but at some point the editor went "and that's enough". The ending comes very swiftly.