Main Menu

2000AD Lego builds

Started by ming, 10 February, 2014, 02:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Hazard stripes only come in 1 x 4 and the power paws are 3 x 5...  Ideally; I'd have the stripes all the way across but that's just not possible.  I can have 1-3 of the strips somewhere on the paws (or none at all).  Here's 2 stripes (seen from above to illustrate the curve of the arms* that restricts placement of these elsewhere):

Will chip away at Happy over the next few days, hopefully - good to have maintained some momentum with this crew!

* and the points where the power cables will connect.

TordelBack

Ah, I see! I was thinking of actual smooth black curvers replacing alternate yellow bars on the forearms, cruder solution. But seriously, the Master shouldn't concern himself with the wittering of a mere fanboy.

ming

Gotcha - something like this?  (I subsequently extended the black stripes so they wrap all the way around the arms.)

All suggestions and comments very welcome as always - witter away, please!

Dandontdare

Loving the ABC Warriors ... but going back to Stickleback - I think he'd benefit from longer legs to make him look a little less penguin-like.

IndigoPrime

Official Brickheadz: I'm afraid there's no room for you unofficial Brickheadz on the shelf. Some of you don't even follow the specific requirements in terms of space and size.

Mongrol: *looks at massive yellow arms* MONGROL SMUSH!

Official Brickheadz, now in pieces on the floor: Bugger.

Hammerstein: Spread the word!

ming

Mongrol with all-the-way-round arm-stripes:

Not sure whether I like this more than the all-yellow arms, so I'll have a referendum on the subject (i.e. ask the boys) and see how that goes.  The black stripes look fine but I do like a less-is-more approach when possible (part from stuff like GBH's hair, I suppose).

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 September, 2019, 08:57:59 AM
Loving the ABC Warriors ... but going back to Stickleback - I think he'd benefit from longer legs to make him look a little less penguin-like.

Stickleback leg-length test; original on the right, with leg length increased by 2(1x2) and 4(1x2).  Middle one probably best?

And while I did that I realised that I could remove the plate under the nose (not needed for support) so he'd now look like this:

A bit hunched-up but I thought that fit quite well with the character (but what do I know?).

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 24 September, 2019, 10:10:12 AM
Official Brickheadz: I'm afraid there's no room for you unofficial Brickheadz on the shelf. Some of you don't even follow the specific requirements in terms of space and size.

Mongrol: *looks at massive yellow arms* MONGROL SMUSH!

Official Brickheadz, now in pieces on the floor: Bugger.

Hammerstein: Spread the word!

Relaxing the size constraint (a bit) was the best move I ever made as far as my Lego nonsense goes.  I'd never have been able to take on the likes of Nemesis or Ace Garp otherwise, and I'll probably revisit the earliest builds with this approach at some point (Dredd, Slaine, Rogue, Mean Machine, Judge Fear and Kano have never seen the inside of Stud.io and were just thrown together with bits we had at home).

IndigoPrime

Quote from: ming on 24 September, 2019, 10:55:35 AMNot sure whether I like this more than the all-yellow arms
I thought the one with the striped plate at the bottom looked good.

ming

Here we come, knucklin'
Down the street
We get the funniest looks from
Ev'ry one we meet
Hey, hey, we're the Mongrols
And people say we Mongrol around
But we're too busy smushin'
To Laaaarrraaaaaaa!

etc.

One of these, or tweak one of them further?  I dunno.  I still like the original one.

sheridan

I favour the two black strips (without having double-checked the progs).

ming

Quote from: sheridan on 24 September, 2019, 01:17:30 PM

Looking at Progs for reference material only ever gets me so far; there's usually so much variation over the years.  There's nothing like the black stripe look in the early run of ABC Warriors; basically heavy industrial arms with yellow outer plates.  No hazard strips until much later (MacNeil?), and those are similar to the back-right version above (although higher up on the forearm I think).  I'm not dead-set against any of these but ultimately I'll go with whatever the boys choose as it will minimise the chances of them being dismantled while I'm asleep (the Lego, I mean).

Rogue Judge

I like Joe's rifle! Although he is already perfect, it looks a little more complete. And I also like the double black stripes, it breaks up the yellow. Just my opinions, these are awesome!

sheridan

Quote from: ming on 24 September, 2019, 01:28:04 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 24 September, 2019, 01:17:30 PM

Looking at Progs for reference material only ever gets me so far; there's usually so much variation over the years.  There's nothing like the black stripe look in the early run of ABC Warriors; basically heavy industrial arms with yellow outer plates.  No hazard strips until much later (MacNeil?), and those are similar to the back-right version above (although higher up on the forearm I think).  I'm not dead-set against any of these but ultimately I'll go with whatever the boys choose as it will minimise the chances of them being dismantled while I'm asleep (the Lego, I mean).

I've since done a few image searches and quite a lot of the early pics have Mongrol with his arms up in the air, so we can't see!  I also found that the hazard strips appeared pretty late in the day, as you did.

Judge Olde

Oh wow, I've only just found this thread, these are amazing. How could I get hold of some of these/buy the lego required, just for my own use. I seem to have acquired various funko pops, which aren't a patch on these. Love them! 

IndigoPrime

I do recall Ming was generously sharing the digital files for these. If you then install the app on your PC or Mac, it's possible to send the pieces across to Bricklink, and use that website's storefronts to acquire the parts. This can be a bit of a faff, and you need to take care because prices vary wildly. But with a bit of effort, you should be able to get some of these figures for a reasonable price.

For example, I have an 'Alpha and Wulf' list set up. With EU/Russia-only stores, every one of the 356 parts can be secured for £22.96 + shipping. UK-only jumps that to £26.14 today, across five stores. With some extra work, you can usually fiddle with those figures to get your postage costs down.

ming

Stud.io and Bricklink are definitely the way to go!  I can supply design files for anything I've done in Stud.io (plus some shonky .pdf build instructions if needed) for anyone wanting to have a go at any of these*.  It's a fun system to mess around with and has improved significantly since I started using it (not just the rendering and instruction side of things, although those are great).

* I'd avoid GBH though - mind-meltingly difficult to put that together and I live in constant fear of dropping the damn thing and having to reconstruct that barnet.